Serial Connection

Texsox

This adapter was found with a quick search - $36 instead of $50.

As far as conveting teh serial to something else, I think teh Serial-USB converter is going to be your best bet.

Shop around for a converter, you may find one (even on that site I have here) cheaper!

/You laptop doesn't have a 9-Pin serial port? *sigh* I can't stand when laptop makers do that.

I found some as cheap as $16, but I always get leary when there is that big of a difference.

As far as conveting teh serial to something else, I think teh Serial-USB converter is going to be your best bet.

Shop around for a converter, you may find one (even on that site I have here) cheaper!

/You laptop doesn't have a 9-Pin serial port? *sigh* I can't stand when laptop makers do that.

I found some as cheap as $16, but I always get leary when there is that big of a difference.

Mmmm, it might be OK. Do a google search for teh manufacturer name and see if there are any complaints.

Not much to be leary about. USB is serial. There's not much other than a line driver and a few pieces of "glue" electronics to making one. I've built a few with $9.00 in parts from a RadioShaft. That said - you can find 'em all over around here for ~$20. It's hardly worth building them.

The caveat is if you're running Windows98 (and I don't want to hear about it...) - then it comes down to where they get their device drivers. If you have 2k or XP - you're golden as they're supported natively in the OS.

Not much to be leary about. USB is serial. There's not much other than a line driver and a few pieces of "glue" electronics to making one. I've built a few with $9.00 in parts from a RadioShaft. That said - you can find 'em all over around here for ~$20. It's hardly worth building them.

The caveat is if you're running Windows98 (and I don't want to hear about it...) - then it comes down to where they get their device drivers. If you have 2k or XP - you're golden as they're supported natively in the OS.

XP Pro, so I shouldn't have a problem. I can't believe anyone would ship an accessory with a serial connecton in 2006 that could be made with USB. Thank You.

Well, it might have been the case back when I started in the 80's and we called "RS232" "Random Standard"... Now-adays, there's DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) and DCE (Data Communication Equipment). The only difference is that TX and RX are reversed. If that were the case, you'd get a null modem and plug that in between and life would be grand.

The upshot is that the garmin is intended to plug into a PC (DTE) so it's wired DCE. Which *is* backward from the intended standard, incidentally. The PC was wired to be a terminal to a mainframe - but that's getting off in the weeds...

Anywho - it's intended to plug into a PC. So any USB->Serial adapter is going to work since it's also intended to behave as a PC-side port.

A note for technical accuracy so I don't get called on it: There is some oddball equipment that wants certain pins high and certain pins low for stupid nothing-reasons. So there are different types of null modems. DSR pulled high, CD pulled high or low, etc. But those aren't consumer devices, such as GPSrs are.

To TEXSOX and FIREFIGHTER SKIPPY, you are both welcome. You are going to have to set the addapter and the GPSr to the same com settings, I had to call my sister to figure that out.

To the rest...um...I don't have a clue what any of that means, but I guess you all know so, cool, thanks for the info. Um, I should realy learn what these new fangled tv looking things are all about.