Scenic & Tourist Railroads Category Discussion

What should be the name of the category? Scenic RR, Tourist RR, or Scenic & Tourist RR.

What subcategory should this go in? Sports & Recreation? Business/Commerce? History/Culture.

What happens if I choose the None of these categories are a good fit for this category box?

I would like to add Trolleys to the mix. What do you think of this Yes or No?

What about ideas for variables?

I have a few ideas but would like to hear what you may think of before I start on the list.

Thanks in advance.

What should be the name of the category? Scenic RR, Tourist RR, or Scenic & Tourist RR.

I'd be tempted to make it Narrow Gauge Train Stations.

What subcategory should this go in? Sports & Recreation? Business/Commerce? History/Culture.

Technology > Vehicles ?

What happens if I choose the None of these categories are a good fit for this category box?

We figure it out for you. We do that anyway.

Too greedy, I think. Trolleys are much different than railroads, IMO.

Length of track

Gauge (if you don't decide on narrow gauge)

Date built

Date retired (blank if still in use)

Cost of trip

Url to destination waymark (this was just a brainstorm)

One thing to consider. The 2 trains I mentioned above go from one point to another. There is a ghost town here that has a train that goes around it, where you learn about the history of the mining in the area. It is an authentic old narrow gauge train, not one of the modern city park trains for the kiddies to ride. It only makes a 1.5 mile circuit back to its station. Do you include that or not? If not, how do you define what makes any train viable for this category?

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

The spirit of this group, in my mind, is to waymark railroad rides whose primary (if not sole) purpose is touring through scenic areas. Passenger rail trips that are scenic don't qualify. So I believe the category should include the terms "Scenic" and "Tour" and "Railroad".

"Scenic Railroads" might invite the pretty passenger lines. That's not what I'd thought of with this group. Tourist Railroad almost by definition has to be scenic (or else what's the draw?) but I guess the Blue Line leading to O'Hare airport in Chicago could be, in a stretch, called a "Tourist Railroad" <LOL>. My initial stab was "Scenic Railroad Tours" and somehow I keep coming back to this idea.

That's a tuffy. My guess is Sports & Recreation. Too bad there isn't a "Transportation" group.

Don't know, I guess it'd slow down the process...

Hmm. Not what I'd thought of to start, but I guess they fit the bill. Unless we put a nix on the "Tour" as a mode of transportation. If it's a true trolley tour (on rails, not tires), and it's not something like the local shopping mall trolley that makes stops, I'd say OK. I don't think I have written this clearly, though.

• Approximate cost [remember this is an international site so we need to allow for different currencies -- maybe this is just a text field]
    - adults
    - children
    (the other thing about cost is that it'll change over time -- there'll have to be a caveat in the description somehow)
  • Distance of the ride
  • Duration (length of time) of the ride
  • Days and Hours of operation
  • Seasonal? {Y, N}
  • Location of tour start
  • Type {Spur, Circuit}
  • Are there stops where passengers can disembark?
  • If so, where? (probably just a free text list)
  • Engine type {Steam, Diesel, Electric}
  • ... could also ask about accomodations, open air, dining, etc..

I have a few ideas but would like to hear what you may think of before I start on the list.

Thanks in advance.

Technology > Vehicles ?

We figure it out for you. We do that anyway.

Everyone seems thave a different idea as to where this category fits. I don't really like the Technology>Vehicles but am not fully satisfied with any of the others either. I guess I am leaning to Sports & Recreation more than anything but it would fit under Business and History equally well. I may be forced to let TPTB figure it out and hope that I like the outcome.

Edit to add Question: By the way what does this mean and how is it used?

Waymark Category simplified url name (one word, no spaces, optional):

Edited by TheBeanTeam

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been working on the category and have the description and variables set up. http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/category_...39-b99c0d9c88abScenic/Tourist Trains

Take a look and give suggestions for change.

Does anyone know if the text box that allows currency is set up for currency other than Dollars?

If it isn't I will need to change it for a regular small text box.

What about requirements to place and log. Thoughts.

For logging the waymark should we encourage a Virtual Visit experience with criteria that each waymark must be set up is some way like a virtual cache would have been? For example: to log a visit to this waymark provide a photo of your visit and/or email the owner with the catchy phrase that is found on the ticket booth window.

We are getting close and I hope to have the category up for a vote by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been working on the category and have the description and variables set up. http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/category_...39-b99c0d9c88abScenic/Tourist Trains

Take a look and give suggestions for change.

Does anyone know if the text box that allows currency is set up for currency other than Dollars?

If it isn't I will need to change it for a regular small text box.

What about requirements to place and log. Thoughts.

For logging the waymark should we encourage a Virtual Visit experience with criteria that each waymark must be set up is some way like a virtual cache would have been? For example: to log a visit to this waymark provide a photo of your visit and/or email the owner with the catchy phrase that is found on the ticket booth window.

We are getting close and I hope to have the category up for a vote by the end of the week.

I like Jeremy's idea of "Date Built" (optional)

Also perhaps a free form text entry (other than the description) called something like "Key Attractions" to describe the stops, vistas, bridges, or whatever else might attract someone to the train ride. Yes, this could go in the description, but a description of the tour and a description of the views and stops along the tour seem slightly different.

"Hours of Operation" could be another optional text field, or maybe "Frequency of departures" might be another way of putting it.

Looks good so far.

My thoughts on placing and logging the waymarks:

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

Detailed description of the type of tour or tours available. Can one stop and get off? Is there entertainment like a shoot out, actors, or musicians? Is there food available? Special trains or trips beyond the usual service? A variety of tours?

Instructions for logging visits to waymarks in this category:

I like pictures lol. A picture of something with the train. Possible photos include the entertainment on board the train, the train itself, a picture of the scenery with part of the train in view, the kids borrowing the engineers hat. Show us you had a good time on the train.

I like Jeremy's idea of "Date Built" (optional)

This was vague for me. What was built? When? Is it the train line itself? The engine's in service? Or is it when the tourist line started operation? I may be just a bit thick here but I don't know what it refers to, so that is why I passed it by.

Also perhaps a free form text entry (other than the description) called something like "Key Attractions" to describe the stops, vistas, bridges, or whatever else might attract someone to the train ride. Yes, this could go in the description, but a description of the tour and a description of the views and stops along the tour seem slightly different.

I thought of this as well. I like your title better than the one I had in mind, but I left it out because the information can go in the descrription.

"Hours of Operation" could be another optional text field, or maybe "Frequency of departures" might be another way of putting it.

I like "Frequency of departures". Thanks.

Looks good so far.

My thoughts on placing and logging the waymarks:

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

Detailed description of the type of tour or tours available. Can one stop and get off? Is there entertainment like a shoot out, actors, or musicians? Is there food available? Special trains or trips beyond the usual service? A variety of tours?

Instructions for logging visits to waymarks in this category:

I like pictures lol. A picture of something with the train. Possible photos include the entertainment on board the train, the train itself, a picture of the scenery with part of the train in view, the kids borrowing the engineers hat. Show us you had a good time on the train.

Great ideas and wording. I'll use them as a starting place for the instructions.

Edited to correct quotes

Edited by TheBeanTeam

I voted yes, but have one question. To log a waymark visit, is it mandatory to ride the train?

(Deep thought required) :wub:

... (puff!)

How would we manage that?

My inclination is to keep the waymark the visitation point. If I don't ride the train, but visit the waymark coordinates, I should be able to log the waymark. This is simpler.

I voted yes, but have one question. To log a waymark visit, is it mandatory to ride the train?

No. A visit to the coordinates of the waymark should be good enough. I will clarify that when I have the ability to change the category again.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I still don't know what the "Waymark Category simplified url name (one word, no spaces, optional):"

item on the category creation page is.

Just me being thick again no doubt but:

How should it be used?

What is its use for that matter?

What kind of information should I put in this space that is now empty?