Off Your Rocker Series

I just traveled to North Carolina and along the way i realized that the entire "Off your Rocker in..." series are placed at Cracker Barrel Restaurants, but all by different people. Does Cracker Barrel sponsor geocaching or whats the deal with this. I think its cool, i just dont get how just about every single CB happens to have a cache at it. :mad::mad:

edit for spelling

Edited by ByrnedFish

The first Off Your Rocker was hidden in a Cracker Barrel in Titusville Fl. It's been widely copied. (Duh) I'd say every Cracker Barrel in Florida has a hide.

The national corporate offices are now aware of this. They don't sponsor it in any way, as far as I know. It's just local cachers copying something they've seen. In Florida, initially every OYR hide was the same. But that's no longer true. Think of it as a variation of a reststop hide.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I found a few in Fla. and the one north of Hartford, CT, and in all cases I found it uncomfortable to search for them. Either due to suspiciousness of onlookers, or fear that an onlooking muggle (esp. a kid) would steal the cache. I no longer hunt for them.

We've only done one, and that was in Frederick, MD. I didn't know the cache was at a Cracker Barrel until we pulled into the parking lot. This was the highest muggle factor we've ever encountered. There was a constant stream of people going in and out, plus people were looking out the windows from inside.

This was the highest muggle factor we've ever encountered. There was a constant stream of people going in and out, plus people were looking out the windows from inside.

Thats part of the fun of it...

Actually did one by the Cabela's on Rt-78 in Hamburg, PA by looking it up on my phones internet then walking around the area using the clues and my knowledge of these caches...

Friend bought a GPS when we stopped by Cabela's on the way Home

I found a few in Fla. and the one north of Hartford, CT, and in all cases I found it uncomfortable to search for them. Either due to suspiciousness of onlookers, or fear that an onlooking muggle (esp. a kid) would steal the cache. I no longer hunt for them.

Don't like 'em. In their original form, hidden on the rocking chairs in front of the restaurant, they are one of the most blatent examples of being hidden on private property, and I'd bet few, if any, are placed with permission. Kind of hypocritical when cemetery caches are rejected on the spot, along with the cut and paste response of "although cemeteries are open to the public, they are private property" (or something to that effect).

Don't like 'em. In their original form, hidden on the rocking chairs in front of the restaurant, they are one of the most blatent examples of being hidden on private property, and I'd bet few, if any, are placed with permission. ...

You might want to reread the guidelines. You will note that they require that 'adequate' permission is obtained. If the company knows about it and doesn't care, then I can't imagine how specific permission would be required.

Don't like 'em. In their original form, hidden on the rocking chairs in front of the restaurant, they are one of the most blatent examples of being hidden on private property, and I'd bet few, if any, are placed with permission. ...

Incorrect. A quote from my local forum:

"Nick Simulia, National Marketing Manager, at the Cracker Barrel Corporate office in Lebanon, TN has no problem with caches placed at the restaurants as long as you don't "alter" anything when you place it. He actually told me to place the caches before I had a chance to ask. I think he'll approve caches at any of the CBs and a call is probably not necessary judging by his eagerness for me to place caches here."

I have his contact information if anyone wanted to contact him, rather than just post it all up here.

Therefore, central management has given "general" permission, but local reviewers will still want local managament to approve the cache. They are nearly always placed with permission. Some do get turned down by the local CB manager. I did not place one for that reason, even with the "global" approval.

Edited by Maingray

"Nick Simulia, National Marketing Manager, at the Cracker Barrel Corporate office in Lebanon, TN has no problem with caches placed at the restaurants as long as you don't "alter" anything when you place it. He actually told me to place the caches before I had a chance to ask. I think he'll approve caches at any of the CBs and a call is probably not necessary judging by his eagerness for me to place caches here."

I have his contact information if anyone wanted to contact him, rather than just post it all up here.

Therefore, central management has given "general" permission, but local reviewers will still want local managament to approve the cache. They are nearly always placed with permission. Some do get turned down by the local CB manager. I did not place one for that reason, even with the "global" approval.

I stand corrected then. But by Maingray, never by Sbell111 :blink:. I'm glad to see that that corporate offices were contacted, I am very impressed. I'm wondering if this action was taken after other geocachers expressed the same concerns I did?

Of course local management should be infomed, although I'm convinced it doesn't happen in many cases. If a waiter/waitress or manager noticed someone acting like a weirdo on the porch, I highly doubt their first action would be to call corporate :laughing:

Again, I'm highly impressed. Now if someone really wants to make my day, they can tell me they've contacted Wal-Mart corporate HQ, and have blanket permission for lamp post micros :huh:

Dang it!!! I turned that cache down in Lebanon, TN cause there were too many muggles. If I'd known the Management didn't care, I'd have went for it. In general I dislike CB hides, but knowing that management isn't concerned, it might ease my mind while hunting them. So far I've attempted several, and only gotten one.

There are a couple here in Indiana that are the CB's but the cache name starts with "Barrelin' Into...". I've found one of them and even if CB doesn't support it, they definitely had the right idea. I found the cache around 5pm one afternoon, while hungry. By the time I found it and signed the log, I had no choice but to stop for dinner. My grumbling stomach wouldn't let me continue otherwise. After a good, hearty meal, I then continued on to the next cache on my list.

Excellent marketing indeed....

I stand corrected then. But by Maingray, never by Sbell111 :) . I'm glad to see that that corporate offices were contacted, I am very impressed. I'm wondering if this action was taken after other geocachers expressed the same concerns I did?

Of course local management should be infomed, although I'm convinced it doesn't happen in many cases. If a waiter/waitress or manager noticed someone acting like a weirdo on the porch, I highly doubt their first action would be to call corporate :blink:

Again, I'm highly impressed. Now if someone really wants to make my day, they can tell me they've contacted Wal-Mart corporate HQ, and have blanket permission for lamp post micros :D

I've thought about this...I drove in front of the HQ in Bentonville the other day. I was wondering if anyone had ever visited with any of Mr. Walton's family....Then decided that they'd just turn me away as a nut job or somthing being I didn't have anything to take in with me (as in a pamplet or anything like that....)........

There are a couple of OYR caches in north denver and I had to do them at midnight to avoid all the muggles.

anyone else ever have trouble deciding what date to put in the log on a midnight cache?

I think the huge amount of muggles kind of adds to the fun. Like finding your way to the cache w/o a map, just the gps pointer (that way, this far) .

There are a couple of OYR caches in north denver and I had to do them at midnight to avoid all the muggles.

anyone else ever have trouble deciding what date to put in the log on a midnight cache?

I think the huge amount of muggles kind of adds to the fun. Like finding your way to the cache w/o a map, just the gps pointer (that way, this far) .

We find it impossible to pass up an OYR cache. We always go and and use the facilities and buy a little snack. Around here they have to get permission from the local management. One time in Myrtle Beach a bunch of us were searching for one and someone sitting at the table in the restaurant was laughing and pointing down. It was the owner of the cache dig-in-dirt having a meal. We were all hungry and seven of us had a big meal (which most of us didn't need). We talked with dig-in-dirt and had a blast.

Geocaching is great fun.

Don't like 'em. In their original form, hidden on the rocking chairs in front of the restaurant, they are one of the most blatent examples of being hidden on private property, and I'd bet few, if any, are placed with permission.

Hi, I've done the original and a bunch of the early imiators. I've never seen ONE hidden on the rocking chairs. They (the chairs) are moved in and out every night and are for sale in any case. On permission, I don't know about all 137 of them - but around here (Florida), absolutely.

This log on this Event Cache makes interesting reading re Cracker Barrel and caching.

This log on this Event Cache makes interesting reading re Cracker Barrel and caching.

I might have missed or mis-read something (seriously), but that looked more like a response to a request for seating for an Envent/Meet and Greet, not anything to do with an OYR cache.

I did catch that the note author from CB identified himself as a fellow cacher, though...maybe that would/could help as to placement/permission of OYR's , I dunno. Doesn't change my opinion about them (OYR's, that is), though. To each their own.

Edited by drat19
I think the huge amount of muggles kind of adds to the fun.

I don't.

But please, you go right ahead...enjoy being looked at with suspicious eyes and potentially having the authorities called to question your activities here in post-9/11 America.

Its sad that you feel the need to change how you do things because of 9/11. Personally, I didn't break any laws geocaching before 9/11 and I don't currently. Therefore, I could care less if 'the authorities' want to ask me questions. I have answers. :)

I don't.

But please, you go right ahead...enjoy being looked at with suspicious eyes and potentially having the authorities called to question your activities here in post-9/11 America.

Its sad that you feel the need to change how you do things because of 9/11. Personally, I didn't break any laws geocaching before 9/11 and I don't currently. Therefore, I could care less if 'the authorities' want to ask me questions. I have answers. :)

Your point is well taken (seriously). Mine is that I'd just as soon not have to answer the questions. I started caching in '02 - AFTER 9/11 - so suspicious/paranoid onlookers have been an issue my entire caching "career".

My opinion on micros in muggle-rich zones, and their proliferation, is well-documented, sbell, you know that. I don't like being placed in a POSITION to potential have people suspicious of my activities, and being put in that position has happened more often since '04 with the advent of Micro Spew .

We'll just have to chalk this one up to "to each their own".

Edited by drat19

My opinion on micros in muggle-rich zones, and their proliferation, is well-documented, sbell, you know that. I don't like being placed in a POSITION to potential have people suspicious of my activities, and being put in that position has happened more often since '04 with the advent of Micro Spew .

The truth is, I typically respond to issues in the forums, not people, so I generally don't know what an individual's position is unless they stated it in the thread I am reading or they force it down my throat by making every thread about it.

It's fortunate that you like neither urban caches or micro caches because you can simply ignore all micros and be free of the bulk of the 'problem'.

The truth is, I typically respond to issues in the forums, not people, so I generally don't know what an individual's position is unless they stated it in the thread I am reading or they force it down my throat by making every thread about it.

It's fortunate that you like neither urban caches or micro caches because you can simply ignore all micros and be free of the bulk of the 'problem'.

You're right. And as I said, to each their own. And I will continue my crusade against Micro Spew - YOU may feel free to ignore it if you wish...goodness knows the growing majority of cache hiders who are proliferating it certainly do. OYR is just another example of it (returning to our regularly-scheduled topic).

You're right. And as I said, to each their own. And I will continue my crusade against Micro Spew - YOU may feel free to ignore it if you wish...goodness knows the growing majority of cache hiders who are proliferating it certainly do. OYR is just another example of it (returning to our regularly-scheduled topic).

The funny thing is that way back in mid-2002, I was griping in the forums about micros scattered about like eggs on Easter morning with little thought to placement.

Your posts are on-topic and are not personal attacks. It's all good.

Edited by sbell111

The funny thing is that way back in mid-2002, I was griping in the forums about micros scattered about like eggs on Easter morning with little thought to placement.

Your posts are on-topic and are not personal attacks. It's all good.

Thank you for correctly recognizing a respectful difference of opinion before we started throwing sharper darts at each other. Seriously. :)

I don't.

I've only done one 'Off Your Rocker' cache. But if others are like the one I did, these are caches where the more muggles around, the better. If you show up at the same time as the dinner crowd you may find the porch in front of the Cracker Barrel full of people waiting for their name to be called. Some will be sitting on benches or in the rockers. You probaby can wander around, looking at the various objects on the porch where the cache may be hidden. Probably no one will even notice what you are doing and you won't raise suspicion. You may have to wait for someone to get up so you can grab the rocker and feel around while you're sitting in it.

When I do an urban micro, I have to make a call if looking will make me look suspicious. Often its a matter of how long you're there. If you spot a cache right away and can grab it, sign the log, and put it back in a matter of minutes, you may have muggles looking at you but no one is getting on the phone to homeland security. On the other hand, if you look for a half an hour, don't find anything, and come back again to look some more, and a muggle who works there recognizes you from the first time, they may think you are "casing the joint".

I've only done one 'Off Your Rocker' cache. But if others are like the one I did, these are caches where the more muggles around, the better. If you show up at the same time as the dinner crowd you may find the porch in front of the Cracker Barrel full of people waiting for their name to be called. Some will be sitting on benches or in the rockers. You probaby can wander around, looking at the various objects on the porch where the cache may be hidden. Probably no one will even notice what you are doing and you won't raise suspicion. You may have to wait for someone to get up so you can grab the rocker and feel around while you're sitting in it.

That's true to a certain extent. I employed that technique on one or two of them that I attempted (before I decided I didn't want to do them anymore). The problems I had/have are: 1. When the magnet is stuck underneath and up into one of the old pieces of hardware (the old butter churn or whatever), there's no way to discreetly duck under there to check, and 2. that's especially true if you're sized like me: 6'3" and 310 lbs. Sure, I still "act like I own the place" and go about my business, but over the years of caching I've just decided I don't like being looked upon with suspicious eyes anymore...it's just been happening with more and more frequency given the style of hides that has become more popular since '04.

Edited by drat19

I enjoy most every kind of cache, but am growing a bit weary of the parking lot lamppost skirt lift. I won't go out of my way for them, but if they are on my route I'll stop by for a smiley.

I do enjoy a well thought out high exposure urban hide and own a few myself.

I really like the OYR series for several reasons. I do find it fun to become invisible while searching in a high exposure location, I enjoy the product offered at these establishments, and I really like the way they are handled in NC. The national marketing director has given his OK to the placements, and leaves it up to local management for the final decision.

This past weekend a vanload of us traveled two hours away to work at a CITO event. On the way we stopped by an OYR that some of us had already found, so we got to sit in the van and spectate while those two had to make the snatch and grab. To complicate matters there was even a porch sale going on. It was eye-opening to observe the fact that no one paid any attention to my geopals as they reached for the cache in the usual spot, even the lady 10' away from them.

Oh and Dave-you are wrong, but so is sbell111 too. :):lol:

I do enjoy a well thought out high exposure urban hide...I do find it fun to become invisible while searching in a high exposure location...

I used to. I used to refer to it in my logs as "I used the ol' 300 lb invisible man technique". I decided I didn't like it anymore when it seemed like 75% of the searches started to require it. This coincided with the Micro Spew epidemic that began in '04.

As always, my opinion, respectful disagreement always OK with me.

Oh and Dave-you are wrong, but so is sbell111 too. :lol:^_^

:):):) back atcha.

Agree with the wimseyguy fellow. When traveling to events or just a family outing we stop and eat at a Cracker Barrel going or coming. Have no idea which ones have a cache at them but most do in our area, while we are waiting to be seated I just start feeling up the washing machine, apple masher ( for apple cider ), corn husker, newspaper box , and any other old machinery, not necessarily for a smiley but for the fun before eating. My wife thinks I ‘m silly, but I think its fun, wish every CB has one, my two greatest pleasures eating and caching

JOE

you show up at the same time as the dinner crowd you may find the porch in front of the Cracker Barrel full of people waiting for their name to be called. Some will be sitting on benches or in the rockers.

I can see it now. "Excuse me miss, do you mind if I reach between your legs and feel around a bit?"

Edited by briansnat
you show up at the same time as the dinner crowd you may find the porch in front of the Cracker Barrel full of people waiting for their name to be called. Some will be sitting on benches or in the rockers.

I can see it now. "Excuse me miss, do you mind if I reach between your legs and feel around a bit?"

No, actually, if you read the comments of those who love this, you don't even have to ask. No one will even notice when you reach up and feel between their legs looking for the hidden treasure. :lol::)

Funny that the thread took this turn as that was exactly the scenario for my very first Cracker Barrel caching experience. Six of us formed Team CHB for a visit to JoGPS's backyard to find some caches, lots of caches. :lol: None of us had ever seen a cache in these locations before, let alone done much caching at night.

After dinner at a nearby burger joint named for the founder's daughter, we cut across the parking lot to the rocking porch. It was the week after easter, and I thought I had found the cache, but it was just a leftover egg in the shrubs. After some delicate searching of the porch apparatus, paintfiction asked the nice older lady if she minded if we took a look under the bench she was sitting at. :) She decided to move-far away from these maniacs. ^_^ The cache wasn't there, but was found nearby and we moved on to the next lesson. I believe that was the definition of Arkansas tupperware. :)

Since that night I have found at least 25 caches here in 10 different states, and own the local franchise here as well. :)

Edited by wimseyguy

I drove past my first Off Your Rocker cache in Mass. and then just kept on driving when I realized where it was. I finally did find one in Rhode Island, but I had to be double-dog-dared into it. Bordering on triple-dog.

We all know from childhood that it is impossible to back down from a double-dog-dare. The CB cache closest to me was my first cache to find. I don't think I would have felt as odd if the cache had been on the front porch with the rockers. I definitely felt odd looking where I my GPS pointed me. Thankfully it was a quick find and I made the mad dash into the restaurant for dinner. Sadly, my first find cost me $10 and some odd cents. :wub:

Edited for clarity.

Edited by JMBIndy

Oh and Dave-you are wrong, but so is sbell111 too. :wub::)

How can I be wrong? I'm not sure if I had a point in this entire thread except that MicroSpew™ started well before 2004.

My comments in this thread should not be used to identify me as a micro-hater. This is not the case.

Edited by sbell111

Oh and Dave-you are wrong, but so is sbell111 too. :):blink:

How can I be wrong? I'm not sure if I had a point in this entire thread except that MicroSpew™ started well before 2004.

My comments in this thread should not be used to identify me as a micro-hater. This is not the case.

Just to keep the playing field even? Because I've met you but not Dave? For not having a point in the thread yet posting to it several times? need I go on? :o:)

I have found one of the Cracker Barrel caches, one in Jackson, TN. It took two attempts. The first attempt was near lunch time and there were too many muggles around. I had an idea where it was and attempt to 'lock' onto the area by making an intersection from 90 degree angles. I gave up on my search. While inside awaiting to place my order. A shift or area manager made a bee-line to me. He was not very happy of what I was doing out side. The thought my GPSr was a camera and I was 'casing' the place. I explained the GPSr and showed him the cache page. The cache owner told me that he had the manager's permission to place the cache. He then knew it was a type of treasure hunt and went about his business and left me along. Came back a while later with my 10 and 3 year old daughters. I told them there was a keyholder hiding somewhere around a device. My girls went through it and found the keyholder. Another cache found.

Since then, I have passed by several Cracker Barrels that have caches, I will not go after them without my kids. My kids act as good cover and few people will think twice about a couple of kids looking at things on a porch.