South Wales Cache Recommendations

We're having a week's holiday in Hay-on-Wye in South Wales in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone could recommend some "must do" caches. We particularly like caches that involve a 2-6 mile walk and take you through nice scenery or to interesting old buildings.

Thank you in anticipation!

Gary & Jane

Edited by Gary & Jane

We're having a week's holiday in Hay-on-Wye in South Wales in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone could recommend some "must do" caches. We particularly like caches that involve a 2-6 mile walk and take you through nice scenery or to interesting old buildings.

Gary & Jane

Hi,

I think a good one to centre a search on would be Lord Hereford's Knob although I have not found this one myself (yet).

Nearby ones I can recommend (including shameless cache promotion) are:-

All the above are very nice if hilly walks of about the right length, mine also has an unusual circular hunting lodge nearby. :mad:

Hope this is of use.

Jon.

Gary & Jane

A bit further west than Hay-on Wye but if you fancy a walk over the Black Mountain then how about SAS: Are You Tough Enough? There are three other caches and two trig points that you can combine with it to make a reasonable days walk :mad:

You don't just have to look south and west from Hay, into the National Park. We recently did Hergest Ridge: we picked a wet day, but saw enough to want to go back on a better day. Heading in this direction (north) opens up the possibility of enjoying some other caches in the less well known area of The Marches and the prettiest of Herefordshire villages.

If you are interested in history/industrial archaeology, then we would suggest looking at our own Merthyr Marathon series ... but, be warned, there is at least 3-4 days worth in the nine caches in the series. Also, if you look through our Caerphilly Collection, you will be able to select several that fit your walk distance criteria.

But, of course, once you are in Wales, all the caches are good ones! Merthyr and the closest Caerphilly caches are 30-45 minutes drive from Hay.

Whichever caches you decide to tackle, enjoy your break. :blink::):D

Just to let you know that we had a fantastic week, probably the best caching holiday we've had due to beautiful weather and excellent caches! Thanks again for your recommendations. There were so many to choose from and we cache at such a leisurely rate that we didn't manage to do them all. We'll be back!

Gary & Jane