Killing Poison Ivy

kc0dwx

I don't know. The personal hatred of icky plants side of me says go for it! But the side of me that says to not mess with nature says no. Perhaps some of it would depend where it was. I figure in truly wild areas, things should should be left "wild." Or in some areas, the park might not like the idea of people killing plants, even the icky ones. Yet a common urban family type park might desire to kill the stuff themelves and would welcome a person doing it for them.

In the end I just don't know....

If it's not your land, I say don't go spreading herbicides around. or taking a machete to every poisionous snake you see, or spreading poison for all those biting bugs, etc., etc., etc.

If you see it in a park area, check for organizations doing eradication and offer to help out. We have several work days in our town to remove non-native plants and poisonous or invasive plants in "managed" areas. The key is to do it with permission of the landowner.

Ok, this has probably been covered somewhere but here we go anyway. Would it be wrong for a cacher to carry a bottle of poison ivy killing herbicide to spot treat PI in the general area of caches? What are your thoughts on this.

If it's not your property, yes it would be wrong.

Just ask the park ranger if you can remove it and if there is a prescribed/authorized method.

Who knows maybe they'll let you.

I do know that they report the most common area for PI growth is where they mow next to woods. Watch those entry points!

Edit:

Oh, and killing the plant doesn't remove the hazard. You have to actually remove the stalk and leaves.

Edited by BlueDeuce

So even though it is a pain for us it is useful for the forest creatures. (If you are very observant it won't be a pain in the a**)

I am soooo glad that so far I am not allergic to poison ivy! Knowing me, I would not look and get it in stupid ways/places! :huh::laughing:

Edited by carleenp

As I type my iches are a driving me nuts..... I have been around the stuff for years and years

and i finally ran out of luck....... if you are the cache hider --- dont spray --- just place the cache

in a spot where the stuff isnt.... now this is hard in winter because you cant always tell where it

is..... the idea is to get people to your cache.... I avoid caches where there is pi but this last time

out I didnt see it...but if your cache takes exposing to much to pi Ill pass it up and i am sure

others would too... so be carefull on your placement.... (scratch, scratch)

If I remember right even if you kill Poison Ivy you can still get by coming in contact with the dead plant. It's the oil on the leaf that is bad. In order not to get it you would have to completely remove the plant from the area.

I believe this is right. I think the oil stays around for some time. Don't know for sure though.

the environmentalists think it should be left alone.

Not true! Poison ivy is somewhat invasive to forest habitats. It typically only grows under openings under the canopy (along trails). Environmentalists want it gone but do not want to deal with the itching from handling it. :(