Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
kc0dwx

Killing Poison Ivy

Recommended Posts

Ok, this has probably been covered somewhere but here we go anyway. Would it be wrong for a cacher to carry a bottle of poison ivy killing herbicide to spot treat PI in the general area of caches? What are your thoughts on this.

Share this post


Link to post

When I was a kid the boys used to pee on it to kill it. :mad:

Seriously, the environmentalists think it should be left alone.

People like me want it gone. The itching is miserable!

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know. The personal hatred of icky plants side of me says go for it! But the side of me that says to not mess with nature says no. Perhaps some of it would depend where it was. I figure in truly wild areas, things should should be left "wild." Or in some areas, the park might not like the idea of people killing plants, even the icky ones. Yet a common urban family type park might desire to kill the stuff themelves and would welcome a person doing it for them.

 

In the end I just don't know....

Share this post


Link to post

If it's not your land, I say don't go spreading herbicides around. or taking a machete to every poisionous snake you see, or spreading poison for all those biting bugs, etc., etc., etc.

 

If you see it in a park area, check for organizations doing eradication and offer to help out. We have several work days in our town to remove non-native plants and poisonous or invasive plants in "managed" areas. The key is to do it with permission of the landowner.

Share this post


Link to post

Also you should know that the berries are eaten by many birds and the foliage is food for deer and other small mammals. So even though it is a pain for us it is useful for the forest creatures. (If you are very observant it won't be a pain in the a**)

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, this has probably been covered somewhere but here we go anyway. Would it be wrong for a cacher to carry a bottle of poison ivy killing herbicide to spot treat PI in the general area of caches? What are your thoughts on this.

 

If it's not your property, yes it would be wrong.

 

Just ask the park ranger if you can remove it and if there is a prescribed/authorized method.

 

Who knows maybe they'll let you.

 

I do know that they report the most common area for PI growth is where they mow next to woods. Watch those entry points!

 

Edit:

 

Oh, and killing the plant doesn't remove the hazard. You have to actually remove the stalk and leaves.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Share this post


Link to post

(If you are very observant it won't be a pain in the a**)

 

You see, doc...I was sitting down to sign this logbook...turns out there was PI around...and well, I now have a pain in my......

 

:laughing:

Share this post


Link to post

So even though it is a pain for us it is useful for the forest creatures. (If you are very observant it won't be a pain in the a**)

 

I am soooo glad that so far I am not allergic to poison ivy! Knowing me, I would not look and get it in stupid ways/places! :huh::laughing:

Edited by carleenp

Share this post


Link to post

As I type my iches are a driving me nuts..... I have been around the stuff for years and years

and i finally ran out of luck....... if you are the cache hider --- dont spray --- just place the cache

in a spot where the stuff isnt.... now this is hard in winter because you cant always tell where it

is..... the idea is to get people to your cache.... I avoid caches where there is pi but this last time

out I didnt see it...but if your cache takes exposing to much to pi Ill pass it up and i am sure

others would too... so be carefull on your placement.... (scratch, scratch)

Share this post


Link to post

If I remember right even if you kill Poison Ivy you can still get by coming in contact with the dead plant. It's the oil on the leaf that is bad. In order not to get it you would have to completely remove the plant from the area.

Share this post


Link to post

If I remember right even if you kill Poison Ivy you can still get by coming in contact with the dead plant. It's the oil on the leaf that is bad. In order not to get it you would have to completely remove the plant from the area.

 

I believe this is right. I think the oil stays around for some time. Don't know for sure though.

Share this post


Link to post

And you absolutely SHOULD NOT burn poison ivy. You're screwed if you breathe in the smoke (lung, respiratory infections), and those downwind can also get a rash from coming in contact with the smoke.

Share this post


Link to post

the environmentalists think it should be left alone.

 

Not true! Poison ivy is somewhat invasive to forest habitats. It typically only grows under openings under the canopy (along trails). Environmentalists want it gone but do not want to deal with the itching from handling it. :(

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...