Is There A Use To Having Microsoft S&t?

BB has Microsoft Street & Trips 2006 for $9.99 after rebate. Just wondering how useful it might be in geocaching, or at all? We have a Garmin Legend and Vista, no pda. Not sure if S&T is any different from using say mapquest to find your routes. Since I can get directions or zoom on there.

Says...GPS routing features include GPS trail, rerouting and distance-based voice prompting (requires a GPS device that supports NMEA 2.0 or later)

Would this work with my units?

Edited by Team Snoopy

BB has Microsoft Street & Trips 2006 for $9.99 after rebate. Just wondering how useful it might be in geocaching, or at all? We have a Garmin Legend and Vista, no pda. Not sure if S&T is any different from using say mapquest to find your routes. Since I can get directions or zoom on there.

Says...GPS routing features include GPS trail, rerouting and distance-based voice prompting (requires a GPS device that supports NMEA 2.0 or later)

Would this work with my units?

Note that the quoted material means that if you load S&T onto a computer (presumably a laptop) and plug in your GPS receiver, the program will know where you are, so it can then leave a trail of "breadcrumbs" to show your movents, and presumably route you (or reroute you) to points on the map. You cannot load the S&T maps onto your GPSr.

If you already have City Select or City Navigator in MapSource, I would just download nRoute and use it for those functions. But then, I've never used S&T.

Edit: Prior versions of S&T required a serial connection, which is no problem for you Legend. Newer units with USB only were not as friendly. I understand that S&T now handles USB.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Edit: Prior versions of S&T required a serial connection, which is no problem for you Legend. Newer units with USB only were not as friendly. I understand that S&T now handles USB.

It's not "serial" as much as "something pretending to be serial that is presenting NMEA sentences". S&T works fine with a variety of USB "hockey puck" products.

Unfortunately, zero Garmin USB products fall into that category. S&T as recent as 2006 doesn't support Garmin's PVT protocol which is the only positioning available on Garmin's USB

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...2entry2168812

But to the original question, S&T will do some things that Nroute and Mapsource will not. http://www.gpsbabel.org/formats/s_and_t/TripPlanning.html describes one such; the Garmin mapping software just won't do the "travelling salesman" trick. They both have a place in the world.

[ the Garmin mapping software just won't do the "travelling salesman" trick. They both have a place in the world."

My Garmin Quest 2 will do the "traveling salesman trick".

As will 26xx, 27xx, and a few others. Since the discussion was about software running on the host and not device firmware, I didn't think I had to specify that I was talking about software on the PC and not device firmware, but I probably should have spelled that out.

As will 26xx, 27xx, and a few others. Since the discussion was about software running on the host and not device firmware, I didn't think I had to specify that I was talking about software on the PC and not device firmware, but I probably should have spelled that out.

didn't mean to make it sound like you did not know that ... I was only pointing out that for some folks with Garmin products, or those looking to buy, that there was no need to buy S&T just for that feature when various units have that feature, but I probably should have spelled that out.