Unlocking Maps From Mapsource

I'm trying to transfer maps from Mapsource to my 60CSx and I get a message saying "The following maps have not been unlocked for your GPS". "Press OK to transfer these maps anyway or press cancel to abort". Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I went through my unlock wizard and that ended up working fine. Is there something on the GPSr I need to change? Thanks.

Don

Edited by Turbolift

I'm trying to transfer maps from Mapsource to my 60CSx and I get a message saying "The following maps have not been unlocked for your GPS". "Press OK to transfer these maps anyway or press cancel to abort". Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I went through my unlock wizard and that ended up working fine. Is there something on the GPSr I need to change? Thanks.

Don

I got it to work. I was using the ID number instead of the serial number.

Don

Don

I got it to work. I was using the ID number instead of the serial number.

Don

You may have now used your two unlocks on your original coupon code. If you haven't already you should call Garmin customer support and get them to take your first unlock off you records so you can still unlock an a different unit later if you want.

You may have now used your two unlocks on your original coupon code. If you haven't already you should call Garmin customer support and get them to take your first unlock off you records so you can still unlock an a different unit later if you want.

:laughing: You can do that? I mean for free?

:ph34r: You can do that? I mean for free?

It depends on the specific map. There are some with 2 unlocking codes, some with only one code and also some which don't have an unlocking code (which you can use probably as often as you want).

Andre

I interpreted that to mean if you used both unlock codes and sell one of the GPSr you can call Garmin and get your unlock back. I assumed that once you use both unlocks they’re registered to those 2 GPSr’s forever.

I assumed that once you use both unlocks they’re registered to those 2 GPSr’s forever.

and that is true - you are correct.

i think what he is saying is that if you have accidentally used both unlocks for the same gps serial number then you should contact garmin and advise them of that. they will likely be able to correct this.

OK let me try and understand. here's my situdation.

I bought a gpsV with cityselect 4 (gpsv deluxe) and unlocked for the gps V.

Upgraded to cityselect 6 and installed on the gps V (so far so good)

Purchased 60csx and unlocked city select 6 to that and all is well.

Decided I wanted to load city select 4 maps to my 60csx (assuming it was already unlocked) and I cant do it. 4 is not unlocked to the 60csx. I show CS4 and CS6 unlocked to both gpsV and 60csx and just cS6 unlocked to the 60csx and not version 4. Unlock to second gps is greyed out when I try to unlock 4.0 to the 60csx.

Shouldn't I be able to load my version 4 maps to the 60csx too????

Any opinions while I await a reply from Garmin (after the holiday weekend)....

thanks

I assumed that once you use both unlocks they’re registered to those 2 GPSr’s forever.

and that is true - you are correct.

i think what he is saying is that if you have accidentally used both unlocks for the same gps serial number then you should contact garmin and advise them of that. they will likely be able to correct this.

Edited by kb9nvh

you might be able to do that if you uninstall v6 but i've never tried that - i'm with chaos - why would you want to do that?

keep in mind that your original license (version 4) has two unlocks. any upgrade you purchase is ultimately still tied back to that original purchase. an upgrade does not give you 2 additional brand new unlocks for 2 new unique gps units - an upgrade merely allows you to use the new software on the same 2 gps units you originally unlocked.

you can install two or more versions of the same maps on your pc but i'm not sure about installing both on a handheld - never tried it.

The reason I want to use version 4 is due to the fact that version 6 messed up the roads on the naval base I work on. I want version 6 everywhere except on my naval base.

When not autorouting Version 4 would tell me the names of the upcoming roads on the base. Version 6 has them classified as gravel (dotted) and for some reason, I get no "upcoming" warning.

Anyway, I have only two GPS's now.

I originally unlocked version 4 to my GPS V and then subsequently updated 4 to version 6 to that same gps. I then bought the 60csx and was able to unlock version 6 to it as well. (so three unlocks so far).

I assumed, at that time, that version 4 was unlocked at the same time as its part of my upgrade path.

At this point I have unlocked either 3 times (one too many) or one time not enough.

I think any maps I have purchased so far should be usable on my two gps's. Unfortunatly, I cant get my old version 4 unlocked to my new gps.

you might be able to do that if you uninstall v6 but i've never tried that - i'm with chaos - why would you want to do that?

keep in mind that your original license (version 4) has two unlocks. any upgrade you purchase is ultimately still tied back to that original purchase. an upgrade does not give you 2 additional brand new unlocks for 2 new unique gps units - an upgrade merely allows you to use the new software on the same 2 gps units you originally unlocked.

you can install two or more versions of the same maps on your pc but i'm not sure about installing both on a handheld - never tried it.