Citywalls

I want to create a Category and a subcategory for citywalls.

Buildings => Citywalls => Citywalls in Germany

other subcategories can be

-> citywalls in England

-> citywalls in ...

(for every country it is possible)

I am thinking, that every country have it own group.

How about this idea?

Edited by Thalamus

-> citywalls in England

-> citywalls in ...

How about this idea?

argh more subcategories for places... I imagine there are bunches of city walls in europe... but are there so many that you would need to subcategorize this into places? I would imagine it would be a fine sized main category for this one.

awww....

sometimes I dont understand the rules <_<

for what are the categories?

To find a waymark faster? When I search a waymark where I will go, I will search in my near or around a place. On secopnd place I will have a look at the catergory.

Example:

"Hey, today I will have a look to the category 'walls'''

Searchresult:

Great Wall - China-

Klagemauer - Jerusalem

Limes - Cologne

*grumble*

So it is equal if a category have 100 or 10k entries. When I can't filter or sort the results it is useless.

Have a look to geocaching.com -> http://www.geocaching.com/seek/ -> seeking by coordinates.

When a search will work well, you dont need much categories/subcategories...

On the other side: have a look to the categories 'Grafitty' or ' ... Histroic Marker' at the first one I can mark every streetcorner here and the other one I cant mark my Histroic Markes here...

Sorry, but I havent got fun to talk about categories, subcategories, number of object that can be marked. The weather is fine and want out in the nature. When that is that what 'Waymarking' is -> Have fun

awww....

sometimes I dont understand the rules :mad:

for what are the categories?

To find a waymark faster? When I search a waymark where I will go, I will search in my near or around a place. On secopnd place I will have a look at the catergory.

I understand why you are having issues on this... in another thread we talk about splitting up churches more because there are too many for a single category and here I am saying maybe you don't need to split em up lol. Personally, I don't dig the location categories such as Florida this or Arizona that. My theory is there needs to be a reason to categorize unless a category gets unwieldy (notice when I mentioned categorizing churches I changed it to denomination not location). A lot of the time some categories need certain variables and such that another can't fulfill... I think the historical markers are done by different organizations (so I'm told <shrug>).

Another issue is that I do believe that you can switch on the origin filter so that it'll filter out everything but what is near to your selected origin (I could be wrong if this is actually working, the location thing seems to work like half the time in various places.) But assuming it actually works, then you shouldn't need a location (even if you travel you can create a new origin and just filter there.) This will also get easier when they incoprorate google maps into Waymarking...

On the other side: have a look to the categories 'Grafitty' or ' ... Histroic Marker' at the first one I can mark every streetcorner here and the other one I cant mark my Histroic Markes here...

Sorry, but I havent got fun to talk about categories, subcategories, number of object that can be marked. The weather is fine and want out in the nature. When that is that what 'Waymarking' is -> Have fun

The Graffiti category has a fairly good list of rules, largely because of a good discussion in the forums before it got accepted... but you can't just go get any grafitti and put it in. Historic markers, I'm a proponent fo internationalizing and finding specific categories within instead of having localized categories... however, most seem to like the localization of it <shrug> (I think once all the ones that you can find all the historic marker websites are listed, these categories willb ecome fairly lame as they will all get marked, and without any interesting structure, there is little reason to visit unless on vacation and that is assuming you think of stopping at historic places that you got a 50/50 shot at being interesting to you interesting)

For the categories you are looking for I would be fine with just a "city walls," "framework houses," and Churches with 4 or 5 subcategory denominations (there seems to be more interest in getting these underway, you may be able to get away with just starting the first two)

Oh and if you are looking to recruit for a category, go to the category recruitment section... you might find people more willing to join groups there (hard to tell the difference between this one and that sometimes, but this one seems to be more for categories already created?)

:mad: it is hard for me - with my schoolenglish - to understand that all correctly.

Thanks for written in 'slow english' :mad:

I used to play an online game with someone who knew no english before he started playing the game... it is amazing the amount you can learn from the internet=P

-> citywalls in England

-> citywalls in ...

How about this idea?

Hi Thalamus. Welcome to Waymarking :)

The reason we don't need subcategories for countries (or city/state/etc.) is because you can already search by location. See the advanced search here.

You can also create an origin which can be used to search inside a category (like City Walls, if it is created). When we are tempted to create a subcategory, we should think if perhaps it should be a variable instead.

It takes some time to become acquainted with the concept, but I hope you stick around for a while to learn more.

Finally, read this forum thread for tips on creating your new category. Happy Waymarking!

-Nate