New (first) Unit

After looking around and doing alot of reading. I found a few features I believe would be rather useful other than just caching. Mapping, Expandable card are to of the most important ones.

My question is do you guys use these features after the newness wears off and what is the starter GPS I can get these on.

Thanks

Once you load your maps they are there and handy. I use the mapping all the time.

My memory is limited to 19mb which is about half what I need for my normal area. For that a card might be nice but the 56mb in the 60C or 115 in the 76C would work for me.

Iv'e used a compass and don't care about them.

Autorouting is handy.

If I were upgrading today, I'd get the 76Cx for two reasons. The form factor would let me wedge it inbetween the window and dash, I could use the Card to load my maps in my normal area and everywhere I'm likely to go and never mess with maps again. Pluse the newer chipset is supposed to be impressive for reception.

Starter GPS wise I could make the Legend Cx work.

Actually, the more you use your GPS, the more you appreciate the high performance features.

I use my autorouting GPS EVERY day.

If you are brand new to geocaching and are the type who sometimes picks up and drops new hobbies quickly (and that is ok, many of us do that), you might consider getting a rather basic unit first. If you are thrilled with the game, then you can get another with all the maps and expandable storage and autorouting features and keep your older unit as a perfectly good GPSr to serve as a backup or to put in a friend's hand when you take them out with you.

Edited by YuccaPatrol

Let me understand one thing on mapping. Does that mean I can type in a address and it will take me there?

GPSMAP 60

Explorist 210? (no added card)

Are these the two base units

Although on this forum it seems Garmin is choice over all others.

Edited by Chaos Team

Do remember to calculate the cost of the maps when you are selecting your new unit. Mapping units with autorouting are essentially a waste of money if you don't spend extra for the maps.

Yes, the autorouting mapping GPS units will give you turn by turn directions to a street address. You would not believe how much time and gas I save by learning new and better ways to get around my own town! Well worth the money, IMO.

I am a big fan of Garmin and have recently upgraded from a 60CS to a 60CSX for the increased sensitivity and the expandable memory.

Magellan fans will chime in about the features of their units too.

It sounds like you really do want the advanced features like autorouting, so I would suggest the 60CSX for a Garmin unit.

Actually, the more you use your GPS, the more you appreciate the high performance features.

I use my autorouting GPS EVERY day.

If you are brand new to geocaching and are the type who sometimes picks up and drops new hobbies quickly (and that is ok, many of us do that), you might consider getting a rather basic unit first. If you are thrilled with the game, then you can get another with all the maps and expandable storage and autorouting features and keep your older unit as a perfectly good GPSr to serve as a backup or to put in a friend's hand when you take them out with you.

YuccaPatrol has pretty much covered most of the key points when getting into GPSrs but i would like to reinforce the idea of gettin a basic unit at first. its possible to buy used etrex legends on ebay for under 100 dollars. they are capable of maps, but unfortunately not autorouting or expandable memory. however you will be able to learn how important the maps are to you without shelling out the big bucks. also like YuccaPatrol mentioned the maps are expensive. i have an explorist 210 and an etrex vista both capable of an aditional 24 mbs of maps but i havent loaded either wiht any because maps are soo expensive it hasnt been worth it for me.

all im suggesting is a cheaper GPSr (maybe a used unit so you dont mind beating up a little) as your first device.

however if money isnt an object by all means the 60csx is an amazing unit.