Using Google Earth

rpugh

Google Earth is fine. I also use Mapblast, Mapquest, Google maps and Topozone.

Any way I could get a few dozen caches to display on a map so I can print it out?

I can get them to display in Google Earth, but w/o colour ink I think it will look like garbage..if it prints at all.

;)

Any way I could get a few dozen caches to display on a map so I can print it out?

I can get them to display in Google Earth, but w/o colour ink I think it will look like garbage..if it prints at all.

<_<

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=googleearth

Import a GPX, output the KML, which automagically opens in google earth. Displays 1-n caches ready for printing goodness.

I used Google Earth for my first cache. For some reason in the past couple of months the maps (in Toronto at least) must have gotten messed. I input the coordinates into GE, but they were about 100m off (in a building) of the actual location. We managed to find the cache using clues from the logs and photos on the page (actually still a lot of fun!).

I used Google Earth for my first cache. For some reason in the past couple of months the maps (in Toronto at least) must have gotten messed. I input the coordinates into GE, but they were about 100m off (in a building) of the actual location. We managed to find the cache using clues from the logs and photos on the page (actually still a lot of fun!).

YES! I am in Toronto, too, and noticed that Google Earth is off by about 100 meters for all the caches. I was wondering if it was because Google Earth uses a different default format than the one we use or something?

Does anyone else notice this, or is it a Toronto thing? :laughing:

The coordinates that geocaching.com sends to Google Earth are deliberately wrong. Check out the article on the Google Earth blog.

Is that why the cache markers tend to jump ALL over the place whenever I change the view even a tiny bit? That's really annoying. I'm going to have to start fixing the coords manually or use the GPX import method.

On line maps, can sometimes cause you to be 300 feet away from cache but you have to drive 5 miles to to the cache at the right coordinates...

Example: A cache Team_Talisman found a month ago had to area the cache could be with the coordinates provided. The first are was at bottom of 300 foot cliff. After not finding it a five mile canyon and hill climbing road lead us to the cache 300 foot above same co ordinates...

And yes there was no way to cliff...

Just remember on topos when altitude lines are close to gether as they are in the Rocky mountains, the top may be bottom location or the bottom could be top location of cache...

Dave from Team_Talisman

When I use Google Earth (with the actual coordinates not the KML file), I show it as being along the ridge looking down on the river. This Terraserver Image with topos seems to confirm that since it's close to the 5300 foot BM and the topo lines are close together between the cache and the 5000 foot mark.

So using Google Earth and the Topo Maps at Terra Server, I would guess this is at the top edge of a 300 foot vertical drop.

Right?

Edited by Markwell

I guess my point in this is that when I plugged in the actual coordinates (and not the Geocaching KML) it did NOT have "coordinates show both places..." - but only at the top.

Then I used ANOTHER tool to verify this information - the topo map showed the benchmark with altitude as well as the contour lines and the altitude at the river bed. Using both tools, I can only conclude that this is at the top of the 300 foot drop.

If it's not, it may also be an error in the coordinates from the cache hider. Just having the coordinates off by 150 feet to the south would put this at a significantly different location.

Or - maybe the survey's off.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't use just any ONE tool for something like this, but a whole arsenal.

And all this is a little off topic - because it seems that you are actually just questioning my statement: If you open a GPX from a Pocket Query - they coordinates are spot on. Is this not the case?

Markwell, you are right saying it is on top....

I am not questioning your statement...

All I was doing was showing how with a hill with an inward slope on the bottom like \ with the cache being on

top 10 foot from edge and the bevel from top to bottom is about 15 feet. Some maps would only show you the top. There fore like you stated use all tools available instead of just one

YES! I am in Toronto, too, and noticed that Google Earth is off by about 100 meters for all the caches. I was wondering if it was because Google Earth uses a different default format than the one we use or something?

Does anyone else notice this, or is it a Toronto thing? <_<

It would be a nice feature for GC.com to let you have the choice of the right location or this close approx. I for one have had problems where a cache has been on the side of a river.... go looking only to find out that the cache was on the other side.....

Don't forget to mention ACME Mapper too (new version 2.0). I've been using it for several weeks now and REALLY like it. It combines all the good features of Google Maps, Satellite and Hybrid, AND includes Topo and USGS (black and white) - all on one site !!

I've also noticed that it functions and refreshes much faster on my old 56K modem than the other individual sites do when I use them seperately. I can't even use Google Earth on my computer at home because we can't get fast enough internet service and the images load very slowly and incompletely.

Try ACMEMapper though - I bet you'll like it too. <_<

Edited by BGunner01

Don't forget to mention ACME Mapper too (new version 2.0). I've been using it for several weeks now and REALLY like it. It combines all the good features of Google Maps, Satellite and Hybrid, AND includes Topo and USGS (black and white) - all on one site !!

I've also noticed that it functions and refreshes much faster on my old 56K modem than the other individual sites do when I use them seperately. I can't even use Google Earth on my computer at home because we can't get fast enough internet service and the images load very slowly and incompletely.

Try ACMEMapper though - I bet you'll like it too. ;)

can you download caches to it? I do like it though

And thanks to Acme Mapper -- I asked the owner, Jef Poskanzer, if I could borrow his code -- GPS Visualizer can now also do USGS aerial photos and topo maps in Google Maps. Check it out: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=google

I'm also investigating whether it might make sense to include other map servers as background options in Google Maps -- Canadian topos or artificially colored relief maps, for example. (The latter, among others, would only be really good for wide areas, but it's worth looking into.)

can you download caches to it?

That's where GPS Visualizer comes in; it can read a variety of input files, including .GPX and .LOC.

Adam

Edited by adamschneider