Question For 60cx/csx Users

I currently have a explorist 400, which is a good unit, but sometimes (like yesterday) I feel like throwing it at the nearest tree. The question I have for you 60cx/csx users is, when you are under moderate tree cover does your unit lead you right to the cache, or does it point you to one spot, then when you get there, tell you it is about 15 feet in another direction?

This is what my 400 seems to do, and was doing yesterday. I have read with interest about the 60x series, and if what I read is true, my 400 can't compare to the reception they get. Yesterday while driving down a road with quite a bit of tree cover. It would drop the signal, once when a few hundred feet from the cache. Given the conditions I don't feel that was acceptable.

This lack of performance has me thinking about switching to a 60cx, for the better performance, and the color screen. I would appriecate comments from x series owners on their experiences, and please I'm not out to start a flame war.

Hi,

I'm just gonna post my experience with my 60cx, since I haven't cached with someone with an explorist. I've had pretty good results caching and driving under moderate to heavy cover (northern wisconsin pines). It sometimes jumps around a bit, but nothing that I would really complain about since it is in the tolerable range. I expect this is normal. I find it is better when it is held vertical (I assume this is due to the quad helix antanne).

On several roads in the boonies, 60-100 foot pines on either side (the only sky visible was directly above me, ie a very small field of view), the device claimed epe of 35-45 foot. It was still able to plot accurate enough that it warned me well in advance of turns, so I tend to beleive it. it typically had 6-8 sattelites locked at this time, most with good signal. On some other roads that are complete covered by birch, and some pine (much less leaf cover, but lots of branches), it was dead on too. I get 6-8 sat signals in my garage, with the doors closed (wood roof, so that doesn't mean much).

It does use batts at a fairly fast clip (I use energizer NIMHs), so I always have a spare in my pociket, but it is again tolerable.

anyway, just a few non-scientific datapoints. Hope it helps. One thought is to post the region you are in, maybe someone with a 60c(s)x can hook up with you on a cache trip.

good luck dood.

Randy

I've had my CSx for only a few days now. So far its been amazing. It will get a sat lock in my house. The bottom floor. My Meri Plat wouldn't even attempt to. I'll post here when I take it to heavy tree cover and let you know how it works. I suspect it will be just fine.

Mark.

In general I have been happy with my 60CSx. As far as caching goes I have found some caches to be right on as per my 60CSx and some to be not so right on. Though there is a hudge different in tree cover between my 60CSx and my Garmin Vista. The 60CSx won't take you perfectly to every cache but it's much more effective under trees than was my Vista. Good Luck in your decision.

I currently have a explorist 400, which is a good unit, but sometimes (like yesterday) I feel like throwing it at the nearest tree. The question I have for you 60cx/csx users is, when you are under moderate tree cover does your unit lead you right to the cache, or does it point you to one spot, then when you get there, tell you it is about 15 feet in another direction?

This is what my 400 seems to do, and was doing yesterday. I have read with interest about the 60x series, and if what I read is true, my 400 can't compare to the reception they get. Yesterday while driving down a road with quite a bit of tree cover. It would drop the signal, once when a few hundred feet from the cache. Given the conditions I don't feel that was acceptable.

This lack of performance has me thinking about switching to a 60cx, for the better performance, and the color screen. I would appriecate comments from x series owners on their experiences, and please I'm not out to start a flame war.

If your Explorist 400 is telling you you are within 15 feet in moderate tree cover you should put the unit away and start looking for hiding spots for the cache. I am on my third Garmin GPSr and that doesn't sound like bad performance to me. You are going to get that kind of variation as the unit gets a lock on various satellite combinations, especially under difficult reception conditions. Just my $0.02, yrmv.

If your Explorist 400 is telling you you are within 15 feet in moderate tree cover you should put the unit away and start looking for hiding spots for the cache. I am on my third Garmin GPSr and that doesn't sound like bad performance to me. You are going to get that kind of variation as the unit gets a lock on various satellite combinations, especially under difficult reception conditions. Just my $0.02, yrmv.

I understand that there will be varition, problem is that it varies so much at times that I start looking in the first area it likes, then a few minutes later I recheck the gps and it likes an area 20' away, then it will like a new area. Maybe this is common to all GPS, I have only seriously used the explorist series, and played around with a sporttrak. I'm just wondering if the increased sensitivity of the new 60x series makes it a little more accurate?

I understand that there will be varition, problem is that it varies so much at times that I start looking in the first area it likes, then a few minutes later I recheck the gps and it likes an area 20' away, then it will like a new area. Maybe this is common to all GPS, I have only seriously used the explorist series, and played around with a sporttrak. I'm just wondering if the increased sensitivity of the new 60x series makes it a little more accurate?

Well I also wanted to say, 15 feet is good. Now I always thought my old yellow Etrex would automaticlly average my position when I stop, on a new 60cx you have to select average location but.... I have never used a Mag but im sure if you stop with it, the location might settle down to a new spot.

Just got my 60cx today, Ill tell you how it goes..... But if it leads me to 15feet away, Ill be happy.

Telling me where I am within 15 feet away on earth in realtime, receiving sat's from space into my little handheld gps is pretty impressive period.

I have an Explorist 300. It does jump around a bit depending on where you are at. Sometimes, like today, it said 1ft away and it was right. Sometimes it is 20ft away (rare). One thing I didn't see mentioned is that what is the device used when the cache was placed? Maybe it was 15ft off. Although some units may be better than others as far as reception goes, accuracy will never be perfect. And usually, the gps tells you the accuracy is +- X ft (17 ft on average for me). That's where experience kicks in and you look for where the good hiding spots are. I'd only upgrade if there is some other feature you want. I'm thinking of upgrading only so downloading waypoints isn't a manual operation. However, I really do like the electronic compass in mine. Good Luck

I understand your question.

I bought one of the first 60cs because of the quad helix for reception after having the Etrex Vista who lost reception easely with heavy treecover.

Not happy when the going gets though with heavy treecover and doing two or tree times over that kind of caches i also bought the meridian color.

What you discribe about having reception with the explorist is my experience too. Plus that with Direct Route

who uses the memory in a way that it becomes slow with 35m difference.

You are having reception but there is much doubt about the direction.

It's good to have some reservation about a new product like the 60csx.

If you don't know how to setup you can have little of the same problems.

But when you do..... it is better.

-Leave WAAS off, more stable

- compass on setup Heading; degrees, true, switch to compass heading when below 3km for more then 90 sec. calibrate the compass at the beginning of your trip.

accuracy on the meter!!! direction good

The big plus with the compass (60cs and 60csx)

Use datafields ; Heading, Bearing, Dist to next, accuracy on the compass page

When there is a point in between like a tunnel with more directions were you loose reception

you can use "sign and go" before you go into the tunnel were you have good reception. (outside)

Read the bearing of the waypoint you go to and , end navigation, use sign and go and point in that direction

activate "sign and go"

In the tunnel you have "heading" AND the bearing pointer having no reception.

Conclusion; yes the 60csx is much better when you have the setup right.

i sold the merdidian having no added value what so ever.

Edited by dusee

I recently created a cache on Tillamook Head near Seaside in Western Oregon. The tree cover there is very extensive. My goal was to create a 3-point multi cache. Using my 60cx, I found and recorded the coordinates for a few likely cache locations. Then I tested one by trying to return to it. When I got to the cache site, my unit still read about 500 feet. I then picked some other locations that had a little better view of the sky (but still pretty heavy cover). I spent some time averaging and then averaging averages, etc. It worked much better. I was able to get within 15 or 20 feet. I included some extensive hints in the cache listing to help compensate for the reception problems. All in all, I'm very satisfied with the 60cx. I'm not sure any other unit could do better. If you are in the Seaside area, I'd love for someone to try this cache. The title is Hikers' Heaven. No finders yet. Good Luck!

I recently created a cache on Tillamook Head near Seaside in Western Oregon. The tree cover there is very extensive. My goal was to create a 3-point multi cache. Using my 60cx, I found and recorded the coordinates for a few likely cache locations. Then I tested one by trying to return to it. When I got to the cache site, my unit still read about 500 feet. I then picked some other locations that had a little better view of the sky (but still pretty heavy cover). I spent some time averaging and then averaging averages, etc. It worked much better. I was able to get within 15 or 20 feet. I included some extensive hints in the cache listing to help compensate for the reception problems. All in all, I'm very satisfied with the 60cx. I'm not sure any other unit could do better. If you are in the Seaside area, I'd love for someone to try this cache. The title is Hikers' Heaven. No finders yet. Good Luck!

I just put a watch on it. Bummer that I'm a couple thousand miles away though. Sounds like a great location from the description.