New Group Search

I've often thought about this one. While there are a good number of interesting post offices, there are a lot of boring ones, too. How about PO's over 50 yrs old? or something?

I have the same question about this topic as I do about some other MEGA categories (tens of thousands of post offices around the world!!! Think about it.) Could a general category be started, and then subdivided as it grows? So, if we get 100 waymarks (or 50) in Texas, or Sweden, can they be spun off into separate categories? If NOT then I think it would be better to create smaller categories, probably by state and country as we have done with historic markers. That would leave gaps, of course, because we have only a little over half of the fifty U.S. states with Historic Marker categories. Maybe eventually all states will be taken.

So, those are some of the things to conseider.

I am looking into creating a new group to fall under the Buildings Category, being Interesting Post Offices. There are historical post offices to even Santa's Post Office, which I actually found! Looking to get this one out there!

Tim

I like the category except any time you have a subjective word like "Interesting", it is likely to cause problems, much like the word WOW for old virtual caches. A more objective criteria (age or size) may be more useful.

I am looking into creating a new group to fall under the Buildings Category, being Interesting Post Offices. There are historical post offices to even Santa's Post Office, which I actually found! Looking to get this one out there!

Tim

I like the category except any time you have a subjective word like "Interesting", it is likely to cause problems, much like the word WOW for old virtual caches. A more objective criteria (age or size) may be more useful.

I do totally agree... wish someone could figure out better more objective usage of wording.... Because for instance what if a small post office was created last year in bunghill California, and it is almost universally considered one of the coolest post offices anyone has ever seen... this post office would never find a waymark which is a small problem of the age/size criteria... not to mention you also have the problem of extremely boring old, or big post offices being added (and there are many of them)...

While I agree the vagueness of WoW and "Interesting" is a bit perplexing, so is the all-encompassing "50 years old" or "1000 sq ft" solution. Both have severe problems! The size/age requirements leave the solution to these problems up to the waymarker which if you want interesting is bad more often than not. The Interesting solution leaves it up to category owners but here we also have an issue where I don't think there is a group vote option for approving waymarks... I this type of solution would help the interesting/wow waymarks immensely... if 2 of the 3 members approve a waymark because it is interesting... I am more confident that it actually is and that good ones won't be passed up. (because they would be more universally accepted than just one guy saying "That doesn't look cool to ME")

I do think we need a solution to this interesting problem.