How Many Coins In Closest 400 Caches (trackable)

Hula Bum

So, I was curious (and bored) and decided to type in my home coords and then go through the closest 400 caches (20 pages) and see how many coins were out there. Well, that was depressing.....

20 pages=400 caches

20 pages=10.7 miles

It took me 11 pages before I found my first one. And all total a whopping

6 coins in 400 caches!!!

That's it, my mission has officially started. I will be stealing coins from Kealia, drilling them, attaching my tags on what to do with the coin and sending them off, hopefully it'll encourage others to do the same (that haven't already), and then maybe someday most caches will have coins moving in them!

edited for miles

Edited by Hula Bum

Seven, but one is missing. Six USA and one generic coin. (If I filter out found caches it is four, but one is missing.)

But what surprises me is that I left a California Micro in a cache two weeks ago and no one has been to the cache since.

We have a couple cachers in the area that inspired me to start leaving more coins in caches as they have been leaving quite the variety. And yes, I've recently been drilling a hole and attaching a tag. I'm curious to see if that helps in the long run or not. I've also released a couple without drilling and tags, but a little early to tell if drilling helps or not.

There are 17 pages of caches within 50 miles of our home cooridnates (and a few of them are on another island). There are 7 coins listed and 3 of those are missing (one the cache was muggled with the coin).

But after our CITO event we were left with 3 traveling coins (a USA, caught Red-handed, and Volunteer replica) and they will all be on the move soon. Okay, the last one isn't really a "coin," but the icon still appears if you log it! :laughing:

There was also a traveling NJ coin at the event and someone released a Colorado coin in a cache near the event and it has already been snagged.

400 caches (20 pages) brings us to only 39.9 miles away from our home coordinates.

A total of 18 trackable coins.

A total of 50 travel bugs and 4 jeep travel bugs.

Didn't count the total number of coins that are not trackable, but the people in this area are dropping off personal coins into caches, so there are many coins in many caches.

This is an interesting poll!

400 caches/20 pages from my home coords is 14.1 miles! I counted 55 TBs, 1 Yellow Jeep (missing) and 5 coins, 1 missing. But this is the end of a weekend so there may be other trackables out there that were picked up and not placed yet. For example, our group went caching after CITO-ing yesterday, and picked up 2 white jeeps and 1 yellow. And 2 different Euro coins did pass through here this month. (Non-geocoin collectors have been having trouble logging them because of the tracking and non-tracking numbers being side by side.) Nice seeing them, and moving!

400 caches 20 pages all within 7.5 miles from home

4 coins

67 in 1 disabled cache but thats probably so the owner can pick them up out his cache.

150 at a now disabled event but those are also combined with some travel bugs and they aren't there anymore so those don't count plus Im not counting travelbugs just coins.

Basically 4 coins total is all. :ph34r:

Edited by Mystery Ink

20 pages = 5.7 miles

11 coins (most are interesting ones, not the prolific USA)

35 TBs

no jeeps

(I made sure to exclude and coins/TBs presumed missing)

There are at least two people that fall into that radius that frequently buy, activate, and release custom coins. There's another two further east, but they're well out of that radius.

3 coins are listed in the first 20 pages.

2 of them have been missing for a while and the other 1 will probably be picked up today

(it's in a new cache)

So it's safe to say that there are no coins in the nearest 400 cache's BUT you also have to consider

that to get 400 cache's you only have to travel 7.6 miles from my home cords. most of these are

urban micros and will never see a coin ever.

The next 20 pages only show 1 coin and it's listed as missing. :wacko:

I know of at least 1 personal coin that's out there but I aint saying where it is ;)

The nearest 400 caches (31 miles) (not counting event caches) contain 72 jeeps and TBs and 11 coins. About half of the coins are USAs, and the others are more interesting ones. (I only checked some of the caches with a coin to see if it was there). I also learned that a cache containing my Frozen Bone geocoin was muggled after it was dropped ;) , so it is one of the two geocoins that seem to not be in caches (these two are not included in the 11 above).

A fair number of coins are moving locally, but they do not tend to stay in a cache for more than a day or two before being picked up - for example, a MD coin we picked up in GA moved twice in three days since we left it, and it had been picked up again since yesterday.

:) The story for Northeast Indiana is not so good. <_<

400 caches = 30.8 miles

2 USA coins (1 missing)

1 LFD Red Handed coin (missing)

1 Nano Twins Generic Geocoin

Expanding the search to 941 caches (50 miles) only adds:

1 Kansas

1 Team Desert Eagle, which is a copy

So within 50 miles of my house, there are only 3 active, real coins.

Of course I wasn't counting event caches.

BTW, there were 3 White Jeeps listed. All missing.

Edited by mintaka

The closest cache to me has one, Bigfoot, then within 20 miles there's two USA. When you get close to Reno (86 miles) there's quite a few, especially here GCV195

I found my 1st and only Volunteer coin in there, and it's soon to be about 10 miles from my house when I finish a 4 part cache.

Edited by Cruiserdude

There are 134 caches within 100 miles of my home in Fairbanks (99701). There are two USA geocoins and two Caught Red Handed (released by me) in that area. A San Francisco and a Feb. Coin Club coin just got picked up from one of my new caches and should show up again in a new cache soon and I have powmia's Signal coin, so that makes seven coins actively circulating. There are also a couple of YJTBs and WJTBs. Coin to cache ratio 1:19.

On the other hand, if one looks at Anchorage area caches (99501) where 20 pages represent a radius of 63 miles, one finds four CITO coins, four USA geocoins, one Delaware, one London phone booth, one Geocacher U, one Native American, one Thanksgiving, giving a total of twelve coins in caches. There are also come YJTBs and WJTBs circulating. Coin to cache ratio 1:33.

I didn't count the over 100 coins that appeared at the Anchorage CITO event since those are in collections, not freely circulating.

I can't believe I just looked that stuff up :mad:.