New Group Of History Markers ?

I have had this "monkey" on my back for the life of North Carolina Historical Markers group. :unsure:

Granted, all the state approved and state issued markers are doing VERY WELL in this group .. but what about "this" marker ???? Sound familiar ?

In North Carolina, as well in other states, I know there a blue ton of "History Markers" that have been erected along our streets and highways that depict and inform us of "something" of historical note for this area / spot / locality .. whatever.

Yes, it "fits" in with Historical Markers ... but, it does NOT meet the absolute requirements of what is decreed by the state of North Carolina for the OFFICIAL marker program.

Would it be possible to set up a sister group of Markers that these could be listed and noted?

Name possibility ? North Carolina Area HISTORY Markers ... this would separate it from the Historical Marker group. Of course, it would need similar and other guidelines as the parent group .....

I have an open question in another discussion section about the possibility of using a drop down box or a sub-category listing of some sort for the current group ... no replies yet.

Your thoughts please ... THANKS in advance. :laughing:

GeoGordie

In North Carolina, as well in other states, I know there a blue ton of "History Markers" that have been erected along our streets and highways that depict and inform us of "something" of historical note for this area / spot / locality .. whatever.

Yes, it "fits" in with Historical Markers ... but, it does NOT meet the absolute requirements of what is decreed by the state of North Carolina for the OFFICIAL marker program.

Would it be possible to set up a sister group of Markers that these could be listed and noted?

GeoGordie

Truthfully, I don't see the necessity of that -- unless it is a sheer numbers thing.

Here in New Hampshire we have only 188 official state historic markers. (Actually a few more that don't appear on the official web site list). Some towns have erected their own markers, and there are other markers that may be view as historic.

So, for the NH Historic Marker Category (and Vermont), I just dealt with this using variables Official State Markers, Local Historical Markers, Unofficial Markers. Works very well for us.

GeoGordie

Truthfully, I don't see the necessity of that -- unless it is a sheer numbers thing.

Here in New Hampshire we have only 188 official state historic markers. (Actually a few more that don't appear on the official web site list). Some towns have erected their own markers, and there are other markers that may be view as historic.

So, for the NH Historic Marker Category (and Vermont), I just dealt with this using variables Official State Markers, Local Historical Markers, Unofficial Markers. Works very well for us.

I think silverquill's variables are good. "Local Markers," "State Markers," "Other" (with some guidance) would be clearer in Historic Markers category.

GeoGordie -

I agree with what silverquill and showbizkid are saying.

I suggest that you:

Edit the North Carolina Historic Markers that you already have and widen its scope to include all North Carolina Historic Markers by adding a new (dropdown) variable to your category. It could be called:

Type of Historic Marker

and the choices could include:

North Carolina Historical Commission marker

Daughters of the American Revolution marker

County historic marker

City historic marker

Even if you created other categories, your 'monkey' would still exist to some extent. Widen scope with a variable and your 'monkey' will disappear.