Alarm Clock In 60csx

I have been reading about how the 60csx didn't carry over the alarm clock from the 60cs. Does anyone know if they have added that to any of the updates? I have been wanting to switch over and that is actually a feature that I use alot. I have done some searching here in the forums but so far I haven't read anything saying that the alarm clock has been added to an update.

I have been reading about how the 60csx didn't carry over the alarm clock from the 60cs. Does anyone know if they have added that to any of the updates? I have been wanting to switch over and that is actually a feature that I use alot. I have done some searching here in the forums but so far I haven't read anything saying that the alarm clock has been added to an update.

Not yet, some keep hoping, but there are indications this might not be possible with the SIRF III...

This has nothing to do with sirf or not sirf.

Every GPS contains a clock, also the CSX.

If Garmin decides to program an alarm clock, which makes use of the already existing clock, into the CSX, then it will be there, if not, then not.

There is no reason why a alarm clock could not be implemented.

This has nothing to do with sirf or not sirf.

Every GPS contains a clock, also the CSX.

If Garmin decides to program an alarm clock, which makes use of the already existing clock, into the CSX, then it will be there, if not, then not.

There is no reason why a alarm clock could not be implemented.

According to some info some people have received from Garmin, it is not possible, and not because of the internal clock. Something about the SIRF chipset will not operate power-off functions such as an alarm clock, pressure trend recording and such.

I think you're all sort-of right...

It's not likely that the issue is with the Sirf chip itself. It's far more likely a difference in the processor/core perhipheral set they used. We're pretty sure they're using a different one becuase the units are so much more even when the receiver is disabled; Sirf wouldn't make things like map scrolls and route recalcs faster. When I last reviewed the ARM chipsets, they did have models that could wake themselves up in the future and stay in extremely lower power until then - exactly the features you'd want

for the two features you describe.

So from the consumer level, since you can't really separate a model with or without Sirf and with or without the new processor, it's not unreasonable to assume they're related. From the hardware geek level, I think that Sirf alone doesn't get the "blame" on this one. It's also possible that Sirf, even if not actually providing the features, may not have been compatible with these deep sleep modes (perhaps the clock on the memory bus was removed), though I'd have guessed this would have been overcome by quiescing the Sirf or leaving it in the reset state or something.

But it's kind of like haggling why the extra 15 horsepower in 2006 vs. a 2005 car came from the new cam design or the new fuel injectors; the reality is that to most people they're inseparable even though the die-hards like to know that kind of thing.

Edited by robertlipe
According to some info some people have received from Garmin, it is not possible, and not because of the internal clock. Something about the SIRF chipset will not operate power-off functions such as an alarm clock, pressure trend recording and such.

I know. They must say that.

If they would say instead: "We forked off the CSX firmware development in the early stages of version 2 of the CS firmware, and have now a hard time to bring the CSX up to the functions of version 4 of the CS.", then the user community would kick their asses too hard. ;)

off the CSX firmware development in the early stages of version 2 of the CS firmware, and have now a hard time to bring the CSX up to the functions of version 4 of the CS.", then the user community would kick their asses too hard. ;)

I'm not buying that theory, either. Those two features were in the C series at product launch, IIRC; they've certainly been there a very long time. I don't think it's a backrevved code base.

Well in all honesty, its a GPS. And the x models are BETTER GPS's. Which is what I bought a GPS for. Im really not all that upset that we lose the alarm and altimeter sleep functions.

Garmin never had any weather prediction software anyways which is really all thats good for.

I think the x models became much better GPS's than the old models were with, extended memory and SiRF III.

If they iron out the bugs like the ability to re-aquire sat's after total loss, then they just made the best handheld gps out there. It can accept all types of maps, so its a trail/bluechart/streetnav gps all in one, with unlimited memory, pretty sweet if you ask me, oh yeah, no alarm clock though... .

;)

Well in all honesty, its a GPS. And the x models are BETTER GPS's. Which is what I bought a GPS for. Im really not all that upset that we lose the alarm and altimeter sleep functions.

Garmin never had any weather prediction software anyways which is really all thats good for.

I think the x models became much better GPS's than the old models were with, extended memory and SiRF III.

If they iron out the bugs like the ability to re-aquire sat's after total loss, then they just made the best handheld gps out there. It can accept all types of maps, so its a trail/bluechart/streetnav gps all in one, with unlimited memory, pretty sweet if you ask me, oh yeah, no alarm clock though... .

I agree completely, with one exception: I also want to have the altimeter bugs fixed (the minus 1500m trackpoints (I never was aboard of a submarine, promise:D) and the wrong height difference.

Together with the above mentioned fix it would make me happy.

However, there are many features which could be realized and restrictions which could be lifted, using the SD card in the unit more extensively. I believe the unit will get some really nice features, but it will take some time.

I do wonder why people need an alarm clock in a GPS? There is one in my watch and that is enough for me.

There is one in my watch, one in my cell phone, one in my laptop, one in my PDA. I'm covered pretty good when it comes to alarm clocks. Heck, I didn't realize my 60CS had one until a month ago. Never used it and never saw the need.

I agree with Briansnat, is there really a need to have an alarm fuction on a GPSr, are people really using it or are people just mad because it's just not there. To me, instead of potentially paying more money for features like this on my GPSr it would seem cheaper to head to the nearest Dakota Watch Co. Kiosk and pick up awatch with an alarm for $20.

I wear an analog watch and my cell phone doesn't have an alarm feature. I don't have a PDA or a laptop. The alarm function on the 60C was convenient for me as a travel alarm. I always have my GPSr with me when I travel, so it was very convenient for me. I wouldn't have to worry about trying to figure out the different hotels' different alarm clocks - just set my GPSr and I knew I was good to go!

Edited by Neo_Geo