Cachemate And Gpxsonar

I've used Cachmate on very old HandSpring Visor for most of my caching career. However, my old Visor has bit the dust and I'm now waiting for an HP IPAQ 1945 which I bought used on eBay. I decided to go the PPC route as I found this good deal on eBay, with WiFi, and I have MS S&T and thought the Pocket S&T might work well for me.

So what do you recommend for cahce software? I see that Cachemate is now available for PPC and I'm also aware of GPXSonar. What are the pros / cons of each of these for PPC?

I use GPX Sonar with my PPC and it seems to do the job well. I do not do a lot of notes or such and with the geocaching mode with my Explorist 600 I am finding that I use the PPC less and less . GPX Sonar for my needs works well. I have not used Cachmate, but it seems from those that use it, it has more features and those that use it seem to really like it. Hope this helps.

So what do you recommend for cahce software? I see that Cachemate is now available for PPC and I'm also aware of GPXSonar. What are the pros / cons of each of these for PPC?

Depends on what you want to use your iPAQ for. Just paperless? Any plans to get a Bluetooth GPS receiver and use it for caching / navigating?

If you just want paperless I'd recommend Cachemate. It's a nice program, but will cost $8. GPXSonar works as well, but it can be a bit slow on large GPX files.

I have a Teletype Bluetooth GPSr that I use with iPAQ (hx2755) and I use BeeLineGPS which works great for geocaching. I also use Mapopolis for navigation (including getting to the cache site).

Another option is to use GPX Spinner or GSAK to generate HTML files and use Pocket IE to read the info. Bit more time consuming (to create) then other programs, but I like the format/look+feel of those pages.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

-al

Thanks for the responses. I am mostly thinking about paperless caching. So I would still use my Garmin as the GPS and use the PPC for viewing cache pages and maps.

Adding a bluetooth GPS for in vehicle navigation would be great, but that's not my immediate need.

Sounds like either Cachemate or GPXSonar would meet my needs. Sicne I've already used Cachemate on my old Palm, I'll probably go that rooute.

Thanks.

Not sure if the others read gpx files, but I have Cachemate, and it does, and that makes life so much easier, no having to convert to html, no conversion program,,,just get it over to the pda and open!!

Ditto on GPXsonar.

Since Sonar on the Pocket PC came first I've used it, it's done everthing I need and I've never even looked at Cachemate though I hear it's a swell program.