Kansas Sunflower Micro

larry739

Marky's new California Poppy micro geocoin has inspired me to make a Kansas Sunflower Micro. Marky has been very helpful by sharing some good ideas so that the coins can be available at a really low cost to anyone who wants one. The business side of it will be the easiest for me, but I am somewhat limited on creative skills. I have noticed that these forums are full of very artisitic and creative individuals, so I thought I would ask your help.

The coin needs a good design icon. We need to keep it simple and pretty like the California Poppy geocoin. I also want to have a simple and unique icon for it that is similar to the coin.

I will probably work with one of the major coin houses to produce it and plan to make enough of them so they will be low cost and get into lots of microcaches. Marky was very helpful here.

If you would like to help and have some ideas to share, let me know. You can email me directly or post them here. I will reward you generously for your contribution.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

Larry at larry739@sbcglobal.net

:laughing:

i think if you took the center ring with the geo sign from the state coin and put a sunflower in the middle off center so you recognize the leatherman g it would be nice. leave the colors the same the orange/gold background with a bright cadmium yellow sunflower. thin deep blue border around the edge. coin metal gold

this would also make them look like a set for 2006.

Edited by qattales

i think if you took the center ring with the geo sign from the state coin and put a sunflower in the middle off center so you recognize the leatherman g it would be nice. leave the colors the same the orange/gold background with a bright cadmium yellow sunflower. thin deep blue border around the edge. coin metal gold

Now that this is done, when are they gonna be available? :ph34r:

I'll take 3, please.

Now that this is done, when are they gonna be available? :huh:

I'll take 3, please.

3 ten packs? :ph34r:

Thanks to everyone who responded. One person came up with a great concept and name for the coin. Another person came up with a perfect design from that concept. Another person is finalizing the icon for this micro coin. Each of these people will get full credit when the coin is announced and also a nice package of free coins in the mail.

The coin will be called Kansas Sunshine and will be available as soon as I can get it made. I will announce it first here.

Cheers,

Larry739

Update on Kansas Sunshine. The coin is ordered and I have seen the proofs. When I have the coins in my hand they will be offered for sale. I have a question. I will be offering this coin for a low price and to minimize costs I will offering it only in batches. I was inspired by Marky's California Poppy, which was offered in 10 packs. I noticed that quite a few people asked for 5 packs. Should I offer it in 5 packs or 10 packs?

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1648/...98106_0_ALB.jpg

Update on Kansas Sunshine. The coin is ordered and I have seen the proofs. When I have the coins in my hand they will be offered for sale. I have a question. I will be offering this coin for a low price and to minimize costs I will offering it only in batches. I was inspired by Marky's California Poppy, which was offered in 10 packs. I noticed that quite a few people asked for 5 packs. Should I offer it in 5 packs or 10 packs?

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1648/...98106_0_ALB.jpg

If the coin's nice ... uhhh ... can't see the link above ... I'd get a 10-pack if they're no more that $4/coin - otherwise, 5.

I love micro coins!

If the coin's nice ... uhhh ... can't see the link above ... I'd get a 10-pack if they're no more that $4/coin - otherwise, 5.

I love micro coins!

Same here, I couldn't see the image:

You don't have permission to access /photos1648/1/98/18/23/84/5/584231898106_0_ALB.jpg on this server.

The reason I did 10-packs only was somewhat selfish: I wanted to minimize the number of packages I had to mail out. It really did simplify things. I even was able to get the minter to prepackage them in 10 packs (actually, it was their suggestion!) Secondary was to keep the cost per coin to a minimum. Also, I figured that if they were sold in 10 packs, more of them would be likely to be released as travellers (which was my overall goal). I've been happy that I did it that way. If you can keep the cost down, you should have no problem selling 10 packs.

--Marky

Gee, what quick response. Sorry my image link did not work, try these:

http://www.geocities.com/larry739@sbcgloba...sunflower_2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/larry739@sbcgloba...t/kssunsfrt.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/larry739@sbcgloba.../kssunshbck.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/larry739@sbcgloba...t/kssunicon.gif

It looks like you want the coin be offered in both 5 and 10 packs with a discounted price for the 10 packs. That is the way it will be.

I will try to keep track of the postings here from those wanting to get coins, but it might be easier if you just sent me an email at larry739@sbcglobal.net telling me how many coins you want. I will keep a list until all 1500 are spoken for.

That way I can file them and when the time comes just email you the invoice. I will not be invoicing until I actually have the coins in hand and they are ready to ship out. I am still looking at the best way to handle that, but think probably what I will do to keep the cost down for everyone is just send them out first class mail. That way the postage and handling will be minimal.

We are making 1500 black nickel version, which will be sold and 500 special GOLD LE version many of which will be activated and dropped into caches and mailed to other geocachers like you to drop into your favorite caches where you live. That way Kansas Sunshine will be shared around the world.

You have indicated that you want the geocoin to cost less than $4 in ten packs and less than $5 in five packs. That is the way it will be.

The cost of the Kansas Sunshine micro geocoin will be:

39.95US for ten packs

24.95US for five packs

Anyone who orders a ten pack will get one of the activated Gold LE geocoins to drop into one of their favorite caches. I will probably randomly substitute a Gold LE into some of the initial orders for regular coins.

I figure the cost of shipping and handling inclusive of the paypal fees, packing and postage and time will be about $2.00 in the US and $3 outside the US.

I want to make sure that everyone knows that the following people were involved in making this coin:

summerandnana came up with the design and the name

Karel Kraak did the actual artwork

Geo*Trailblazer 1 designed the icon

They are really great and I met them right here on this forum. They will each get the first shipment of 10 each of these coins as soon as I have them in my hands.

They are really great and I met them right here on this forum. They will each get the first shipment of 10 each of these coins as soon as I have them in my hands.

kssunsfrt.jpg

kssunshbck.jpg

Wow, you guys did a great job!!! The black nickel looks great with that design.

If you want, I can set up a page similar to how I set my sales up so that people will get forwarded to a paypal shopping cart. Let me know!

I definitely want 20!

--Marky

Edited by Marky

Wow, you guys did a great job!!! The black nickel looks great with that design.

If you want, I can set up a page similar to how I set my sales up so that people will get forwarded to a paypal shopping cart. Let me know!

I definitely want 20!

--Marky

Thanks for the offer. I would hate to put you to alot of work.

Thanks for all the responses. In less than a day 200+ coins have been reserved. And that is with geowoodstock going on. If future reservations can send the following information to my email addy that would be great. larry739@sbcglobal.net

GeoName:

Address:

PayPal Email:

Email Address:

No. of 5 pks:

No. of 10 pks:

I will not invoice for the coins until I actually have them in my hands and can ship them out immediately upon receipt of payment. I do not know when they will come in. I paid for them about ten days ago so your guess is as good as mine. Since this is my first coin I do not have any experience with delivery.

Anyone know how long it normally takes Oak Coins to ship after they get the money?

There are still plenty of them left, but they are being reserved faster than I expected. I can only imagine how fast they will go when I actually get them and put the website up to sell them. It would not surprise me if they sold out in a couple of days after that. This forum and the MOKAN forum are the only places I have announced this coin, but I am getting reservation requests from all over the world. Some of them are for 30-50 coins so I imagine they are going to go fast after the actual web site goes up.