Bm Not Found In Database Question

2B Amazed

I was out placing my first cache My 1st Cache (a benchmark in itself) and while finding my perfect(?) location a US Army Corp of Engineers survey control mark was found on my hill. :lol: No prior knowledge of this being there, I thought why not do a "2 Mints in One" sort of thing. Visitors can log my cache while also logging a benchmark. I searched the database for the location using the coordinates but it was not in the database.

Do I:

A: Just pass it off?

B: Wait until they update the database with a "report a new benchmark"

C: Mark it as a Waymark and let visitors log it as such?

D: Move my cache to a more remote location, far far away, allieviating this matter alltogether?

Is there a better way to go about finding a certain one benchmark in the database other than having to read the many listed even when searched by specific coordinates?

A newbie Thank You

There seem to be a bunch of 'em near those coordinates. What was stamped on the benchmark for identification?

I was trying to upload my picture, but the marker states Corp of Engineers US Army, Survey Control Mark, Station and has a triangle in the center of the disk. There is no data in the elevation field.

That was my problem with too many disks in the area when I did my first search too, hope the disk info helps. The dam site has so many survey disks I can stumble on them easier than downloading the waypoints and search for them using my GPS. Survey posts are easy to spot driving to the dam. Thanks for your help!

Around any dam stuctures such as is found in this area; you will find many dam deformation monitoring points. They generally are not geodetic in nature and will only be of value to the Corps or whatever agency is responsible for the monitoring, upkeep and safety for this dam structure.

CallawayMT

Around any dam stuctures such as is found in this area; you will find many dam deformation monitoring points. They generally are not geodetic in nature and will only be of value to the Corps or whatever agency is responsible for the monitoring, upkeep and safety for this dam structure.

CallawayMT

Thanks for the info, I'm meeting with a friend who retired from the corp, he worked at the Fort Randall dam until his retirement. He briefly game me the same info and I'm looking forward to his insight.

As I look back on my original post, I was more interested in finding info on the disk itself and not really concerned with the cache and it's placement, I will leave it in it's present location, and not mark it as a waymark. I rec'd a great response on the FTF for the cache and let other cachers enjoy the location. For that I apologize for posting a survey type question.

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_17481403...rB46TEBwM.z35k8

I also found a benchmark on the Indain Pass trail South West of Heart Lake in the Adirondacks at

N4891160 E580120 or N44°10.1' W73°59.9' The BM is shown on USGS Keene Valley topo at 658.5 meters.

I deciphered AMD 13 on the center of the disc embedded in the rock surface. However there is no recognition when I search to log this find :)

The data for station AMD 13 and many others set by USGS were never submitted to NGS for inclusion in the National Spatial Reference System. The geodetic control data published by USGS indicates that this mark is a bench mark only (accurate height - no accurate position) with a value of 2160.498 ft base on the National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1929 (NGVD 29).