How Good Is A Paint Can?

Aux10

I was just wondering how good of a cache container a paint can would be.

Should be water resistant as long as the lid gets put back on tight. Not quite foolproff to open and re-seal so you may have problems with water getting inside. I would attach one of these

HYT46455.jpg

with a chain to the handle.

I wouldn't use one. Some people can't close ammo boxes and Lock n Locks properly, I'd hate to have to rely on them to make sure the paint can is sealed well. Also, getting a proper seal will probably become more difficult with repeated openings and closings.

I had the same thought about repeat opening and closing.

The plastic ones seem to work OK though. I have seen several and they were always dry.

The metal ones usually leak.

They CAN (ha) work IF they are re-hidden properly, with the top pointed downward, but angled so that water doesn't collect on the bottom and rust it out.

Chances are the seal will get mangled, and it will be left top-up and get soaked inside.

We have a dry climate here in Arizona, so I'd say a cookie tin from the thrift store would be a better choice...no rim to guide the rainwater into the can.

An ammo can is still your best bet, if you can afford the $5 price.

I work for a paint company and we make the Kilz Casual Colors. It is packaged in plastic containers with a screw on top. I have the good fortune of being able to take a few and use them for caches. They work really well. They are durable and seal so the inside stays dry thru a complete cycle of seasons.

I would not suggest using a regular paint can, even the plastics. They have a metal chime (ring) that will rust over time when exposed to the elements.

I have paint cans in my garage. My garage flooded. I can't open the paint cans even with a paint key.

I just repainted my whole house due to said flood. To close the new paint cans and ensure a good seal so as not to have my paint coagulate, I had to use a hammer.

To me, metal paint cans in the field while trying not to attract attention to what you're doing would be a royal pain in the rear.