Geo Coin Cache

hi everyone

i was thinking about making a geocoin trading cache. I wanted to make it cause there are alot of coins out there and this cache would make a place to trade or log your coins so that people that visited the cache would be able to actually beable to find/trade coins, the other reason is beccause we love to see the art work that people put into this and we never get to see them. we buy coins but are scared to put them any where cause of muggles and this cache would be in our front yard and we would be able to know that they started off there travels safe.

We decided that keeping the coins we bought is sill and it is time to relese them into the world so they can do what they intended to do travel!!

so... would you be interested in a cache like this or not?

thanks

the butterfly effect :lol:

Edited by the butterfly effect

My 2 cents is that it is a good idea in theory, but it will be robbed of all the coins. Raided and robbed constatly. People take them and put them into personal collections, never to be heard from again.

Agreed, the idea is one that is noble. I'm afraid, however, that if you put a lot of coins into one cache, there will eventually be a ransacking of the coins. It's a shame, though, because as you had said unless you buy the coin, it's hard to see what the coins look like and the hard work put into making the coins look so great.

I'm afraid that there is no solution to this problem of coins being taken from caches for personal collection, because if we solved that one, then we could solve the problem with Jeep TB's all of a sudden "disappearing". People will always take fun from the game and take stuff, it's a shame, but it's the sad truth.

I'm cynical and realistic enough to agree... the cache will be raided constantly. Some of the coins I've seen are really beautiful, and it's a shame poeple steal them. Just last month I retrieved and dropped off a nice Iowa geocoin. The next person to find the cache reported it missing. Someone who knew where the cache was ran right out and stole it as soon as it was listed.

My 2 cents is that it is a good idea in theory, but it will be robbed of all the coins. Raided and robbed constatly. People take them and put them into personal collections, never to be heard from again.

I have one and that hasn't been my experience. Granted its only been out for 4 months, but it has worked quite well so far, with no instances of theft that I'm aware of. Similarly, another geocoin cache about 10 miles away has not encountered problems either as far as I know.

I'm going to go more glass half full. I think there will always be people who might steal a coin (or several) from such a cache, but I also think that the nature of the cache and a good explanation of it on the page will help prevent that. Plus a good laminated explanation in the lid would help too. In many cases where coins are kept, I think it is often from the finder's ignorance, so traveling coins might be a bit safer going through such a cache. Make the cache a bit remote with a hike to get to it and it will also likely be safer and any theives will at least have to work a bit for it. But it also should not be so remote as to leave things stuck there and not moving.

I think Brian's cache is an excellent example of how one could be done.

Edited by carleenp

I'm going to go more glass half full. I think there will always be people who might steal a coin (or several) from such a cache, but I also think that the nature of the cache and a good explanation of it on the page will help prevent that. Plus a good lamanted explanation in the lid would help too. In many cases where coins are kept, I think it is often from the finder's ignorance, so traveling coins might be a bit safer going through such a cache. Make the cache a bit remote with a hike to get to it and it will also likely be safer and any theives will at least have to work a bit for it. But it also should not be so remote as to leave things stuck there and not moving.

I think Brian's cache is an excellent example of how one could be done.

Oddly enough, I thought about making it remote, but figured that would cut down on its usability as an exchange, so its only about 50 yards from a fairly major road. My main concern is not geocachers, but muggles, as its popular fishing spot, but I had another cache in the exact same spot and it lasted close to a year and was fine. Keeping fingers crossed.

I think the key is a card or info sheet with the coin, so novices understand it's a traveler like a TB, and not a souvenir. My NM coin released with such a note is still travelling - the other coin just release "naked" into a cache disappeared after a visit by a 7 finds cacher.

I placed a USA geocoin in a cache. I put it in a plastic bag with instructions. The geocoin went from the original cache to the next and that was the last time it was seen. However, my travel bug dog tag is connected to something and has been from Illinois to Canada and is now in Tennessee on the way home.(I hope) I wont be sending out anymore coins.

Happy Caching!!!!!!!

Actually in my area we have tons of geocoin fanatics myself included.

But it is possible to keep coins in a cache.

One of our locals asked if he could purchase some of my extra geocoins for his cache, so he drilled a hole into all the coins and attached them to the container it's been doing really good. good.

U Can I Con

b54e3bdd-84e6-4aa5-87a1-74a44311bbf9.jpg

Kind of sad that that's necessary.