Should I Find My Own Waymark?

I'm looking for the community opinion here.

The site currently does not filter out my 'own' waymarks. Is it implied that I post a visit to my waymark?

This would actually currently make sense, as marking a waymark is describing it, whereas logging the waymark is describing my visit to it - which are two different things.

Personally I am torn... unless the waymark is like a game or something special... I would say waymark creation isn't far off from geocache creation and how many geocache owners log their own cache? I don't know I am torn cause I understand it however... it isn't quite as big a deal as geocaches... <shrug> Right now I see a number of people who do log their own, and a few categories that ask waymark owners to log their own... we'll see how this one turns out in the end but it seems right now that the community is leaning towards go ahead and log your own.

You don't so much find waymarks as you visit them. IMO the waymark details should be about the waymark and the visit should be where you post your feelings (and even history) of the location.

For example, if there is a wayside chapel that you occasionally visit and pray at, you should take a picture of the wayside chapel and describe it in the waymark description, and talk about how you visit it in the visit log. So waymarks = facts and logs = personal feelings/experiences.

sounds like that's a yes, visit your waymark, probably when you mark it since you most likely visited it to gather information. I'm good with that.

I would disagree that history of a waymark belongs in that initial visit. history and background that you know would be part of describing the waymark, thus it belongs in the initial marking. Additional history known by others obviously belongs in their individual visits, and I would argue that owners might consider picking up some of that added information and adding it to their existing waymark description.

I have done this with geocaches that were hidden in order to describe some place. I edited the cache page to include additional information received in logs, even sometimes photos or drawings, usually attributing and sometimes linking down to the individual log.

Simple... YES!

You did visit the waymark in order to submit it. Waymarking is not about "finds" it's about visiting a certain place and maybe experiencing something.

I have logged the waymarks I submitted. If you have to... consider it the "FTF" prize. :laughing:

I have logged the waymarks I submitted. If you have to... consider it the "FTF" prize. wink.gif

So you are saying: if you own a 'Category' you would 'Waymark' it and visit this also or post a note?

Don't you think if you set up a 'Waymark' we would already know that you were there to get the co-ordinates and pictures and all the information you have listed on your 'Waymarks'?

Seems silly to blow your own horn as far as visiting your own 'Waymarks'' What's the reason????? 1st to find? Numbers? <_<

I wasn't in favour of submitting 'Waymarks' for my own 'Categories' before 'Group Management' either, but

visiting your own 'Waymarks' is----ABSURD!!

You don't so much find waymarks as you visit them. IMO the waymark details should be about the waymark and the visit should be where you post your feelings (and even history) of the location.

For example, if there is a wayside chapel that you occasionally visit and pray at, you should take a picture of the wayside chapel and describe it in the waymark description, and talk about how you visit it in the visit log. So waymarks = facts and logs = personal feelings/experiences.

I think the idea of visiting the waymark is distinct and that the owner SHOULD mark the visit as well.

Now here's another question <ducking as I ask>

Should you log a "visit" for each visit you make. In Jeremy's example above where you visit a place occasionally, shouldn't you log a "visit" each time?

This is very different from the Geocaching model but my sense is that it is intended to be very different and that yes, you SHOULD log a visit each time - you visited, didn't you?

(Now what this implies is that if you want to have "competitive stats", they should not necessarily be "# of visits" but "# of distinct waymarks visited" which will be two different things.)

<ducking for real this time>

~J of TeamRJMK~

edit: fixing the weirdness introduced by quick editing in the original...

Edited by TeamRJMK

I think the idea of visiting the waymark is distinct and that the owner SHOULD mark the visit as well.

Now here's another question <ducking as I ask>

Should you log a "visit" for each visit you make. In Jeremy's example above where you visit a place occasionally, shouldn't you log a "visit" each time?

This is very different from the Geocaching model but my sense is that it is intended to be very different and that yes, you SHOULD log a visit each time - you visited, didn't you?

(Now what this implies is that if you want to have "competitive stats", they should not necessarily be "# of visits" but "# of distinct waymarks visited" which will be two different things.)

<ducking for real this time>

~J of TeamRJMK~

it depends on how many visits to a waymark you are logging and how often--in addition to who owns it.

once you have logged a visit to a waymark it is added to your 'stats' (you know of a better word, let's start using it. and that is what they are, stats). you can then log THAT waymark as many times as you want, with your stats not changing; other than your number of 'logs' increasing.

for the time being, as email notifications stand, each time you post a log the owner of the mark recieves an email. if you own the mark you want to 'visit daily' and handle the emails, that is your choice, however, how would someone else feel to get your log emails? on the other hand, say you vacate in a National Park/World Heritage Area/Earth Cache/ Cave Entrence; it would then make sense for you to log every visit. thus, Waymarking has corrected an issue with multiple finding of locations.

as for finding you own mark: did you not 'find it' to submit it? it was visited. there is an exception to this action, in that some categories accept submitions from databases (ie: Rec US Bench), so if you did not visit to gather submition information a log is inappropriate.

this begs the question: if it is obvious that a person visited the site in order to gather information necessary to post a waymark but lacks one point of logging criteria (chiefly the 'pic of gps and/or you), is the log still 'approvable'--the person does 'own the mark' and manages the logs, right?

I think so long as it's called a visit you can visit as many times as you like and log it each time. Its also OK to visit a waymark you own as many times as you like. Some categories - especially under Waymarking games - should have a different kind of log. I have suggested a "found it" log for categories that have a verification question of some sort. You could only find a waymark once. It should be up to category managers to decide if their category will allow "found it" logs or not. People could still visit the waymark as many times as they like.

Edited by tozainamboku

If you have an interesting story to tell or a nice photo to share, sure. I think it should be more about quality than quantity. If you're going to go climb a mountain, visit a museum, or eat at a restaurant and give a review or a description of your experience, great. You might come back another time, and the mountain might be covered with snow or the museum's exhibits might have changed. That sounds like a great reason to log another visit with another experience. Just don't log a "I drove past - again."

I decided to a visit to log one of my own waymarks (a coffee shop) to post a picture of beautifully poured latte art. But I wouldn't log a visit every time I stop in for a cuppa joe.

Edited by Mary&Dave

I decided to a visit to log one of my own waymarks (a coffee shop) to post a picture of beautifully poured latte art. But I wouldn't log a visit every time I stop in for a cuppa joe.

Why didn't you add the picture on your 'Waymark' page for all to see with a note? This way one does not have to go to 'Visit' link? :lol: