City Select Installation

Last week my hard drive failed so I had to replace it and start from scratch. I've installed MapSource US Topo by copying all three disks to the hard drive and made the registry changes so I no longer need the CDs to use Topo. My question is this, when I install City Select, do I just follow the installation instructions or do I have to first copy the CDs to the hard drive as I did with Topo? I also have the update for City Select V7 so I'll need to update after installing V6. I've been through this before but it's been awhile and I can't remember the procedure for installing City Select after installing Topo first.

Thanks,

Doug

Last week my hard drive failed so I had to replace it and start from scratch. I've installed MapSource US Topo by copying all three disks to the hard drive and made the registry changes so I no longer need the CDs to use Topo. My question is this, when I install City Select, do I just follow the installation instructions or do I have to first copy the CDs to the hard drive as I did with Topo? I also have the update for City Select V7 so I'll need to update after installing V6. I've been through this before but it's been awhile and I can't remember the procedure for installing City Select after installing Topo first.

Thanks,

Doug

Did you buy the update disk or did you send for it and get it for free? Because I also have v6 and ordered the update disk for v7 but it wouldn't work because I didn't buy the actual v7 program. I think its Garmins crappy little scam to make more money, which works.

FYI, I had a similar issue, but I won't go into it in depth.

You MUST start with the City Select load V6. Unlock it. UPDATE the Mapsource to 6.10.2!

Update to the City Select 7.0. Unlock it. THAN load the topoUSA (from the hard drive if you want), than update the basemap for the TopoUSA. If you don't do it in that order the USB drivers get all messed up and the stuff seems to hang on mapsource startup. I played for several hours until I realized the sequence of load/unlock/update/update/unlock/load/update was the way they designed it to be loaded and thats what it took.

Good Luck. Dont lose those unlock files!

GPSMAP60Csx/Mapsource/Cityselect V6.0/V7.0 upgrade/TopoUSA with the Minnesota basepatch on XP Pro.

FYI, I had a similar issue, but I won't go into it in depth.

You MUST start with the City Select load V6. Unlock it. UPDATE the Mapsource to 6.10.2!

Update to the City Select 7.0. Unlock it. THAN load the topoUSA (from the hard drive if you want), than update the basemap for the TopoUSA. If you don't do it in that order the USB drivers get all messed up and the stuff seems to hang on mapsource startup. I played for several hours until I realized the sequence of load/unlock/update/update/unlock/load/update was the way they designed it to be loaded and thats what it took.

Good Luck. Dont lose those unlock files!

GPSMAP60Csx/Mapsource/Cityselect V6.0/V7.0 upgrade/TopoUSA with the Minnesota basepatch on XP Pro.

I installed Topo first, updated it (6.10.2) including the Minnesota basepatch and driver update, and did the regedit routine first. I then installed the 'Tide Points' and Citty Select V6 next. The last thing I did was the City Select V7 upgrade. Everything worked fine with the exception of not being able to view details in Topo 'West'. I had to do another regedit and change the registry modification for 'West' from C:\PROGRAMFILES\GARMIN\WEST to C:\PROGRAMFILES\GARMIN\WEST\WEST in order for the 'West' mapset to show details. Also had to do the same on my laptop.

Now all is fine. <_<

Edited by Doug in Alaska