Handheld Used With Labtop

WILB

I was thinking about buying a explorist 210 as a first gps unit and was wondering if i could use it with my laptop and use it with microsoft streets and trips 06. if i connected it to the pc would it work like a laptop reciver? i was wondering as i would like to get streets and trips this week as it is on sale at best buy for $9.99.

I was thinking about buying a explorist 210 as a first gps unit and was wondering if i could use it with my laptop and use it with microsoft streets and trips 06. if i connected it to the pc would it work like a laptop reciver? i was wondering as i would like to get streets and trips this week as it is on sale at best buy for $9.99.

Wilb -

When you get your GPSr, go to the Garmin website and download nRoute. You can try it on your desktop or laptop. I mention it just because it is a free download. nRoute commuminates with my 60cx via the USB cable.

Before you buy, make sure the S&T will support your receiver and the data cable. S&T2005 only supports serial connection, and not USB. Looking at the MS website for S&T2006, it says "an available COM port for your GPS receiver". Note, that you can use a shareware product like Franson's GPSGate to take a USB coinecntion, and make it look like a serial connection for S&T. I've used it and it works.

no need to call anyone and check. ive done it many many times. you wont need anything extra either it should pick it up automatically. (once the explorist drivers are installed, they come with the unit)

if you have any issue settin it up feel free to email me

ganlet20@gmail.com

Thanks for the info. Im going to pick up Streets and trips thursday and i will see how it works. Also if you get the pacage with the gps locater it is a usb not serial. Thanks

yes the gps locator that comes with the more expensive package is usb. but i was under the impression you were gettin the normal version without the gps locator. you dont need both the gps locator and a standalone gps unit (explorist 210). its kinda redundant cause they do the same thing. fyi explorist 210 is usb also.