Question About A Cache Idea.

I came up with the idea to put a travel bug on a decon container and then place the TB/Cache in another cache and then list the cache/tb on gc.com but not to have any coords because the cache/TB will always be moving. I thought I could post a link to the tb page and that is where you could find out the true and currrent location of the the cache so each time a person visits this cache they will get a two for one. Just an idea not even sure if its allowed just want to hear some feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Team :laughing: Jsam

That probably won't fly. The point of a cache is to find it by its coordinates.

Also, as per the guidelines, When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be listed.

So its basically a cache with a travel bug attached to it that moves from cache to cache. Its been done before. Since its not an actual geocache, the cache listing guidelines aren't involved so I'm pretty certain its OK, as long as you don't also try to list it as a cache.

I had a similar idea once, but the person with the "TB Cache" would have to hide it somewhere near a regualr cache and would leave the coordinates in the cache container. I eventually decided against it because I figured it wouldn't last long before someone screwed up and left wrong coordinates, or just forgot to leave coordinates.

Edited by briansnat

So could I do this and not only use the tb page but also list it on gc.com as a cache so that people can log it? My thought would be that cachers would visit the page and it would show bogus coords but would have link to the tb page to find out where the cache really was then they would click on the cache that the tb was placed in and then they would get the current coords then while hunting the cache that the tb was in they would get a 2 for 1.

I own a moving cache in a similar vein listed on another site (they aren't allowed here any longer). The finder moves it and reports the coords it was left at on the log and then I update the cache page with the location from that log.

There are quite a few inherent problems hence the reason they are no longer used here probably but mine has done well and has been fun to watch move around.

So could I do this and not only use the tb page but also list it on gc.com as a cache so that people can log it? My thought would be that cachers would visit the page and it would show bogus coords but would have link to the tb page to find out where the cache really was then they would click on the cache that the tb was placed in and then they would get the current coords then while hunting the cache that the tb was in they would get a 2 for 1.

I guarantee you that a cache page will not be listed if you cannot give coordinates to your cache. If you give the coordinates to the cache, and try to switch them every time the TB is moved to a new cache, then, the approver will have to readjust the coordinates, and eventually will catch on to the "moving cache".

I think the TB idea is great, but as far as listing the TB as a cache, I really do not think the idea will fly with the approvers. Sorry.

I did a cache that was similar back when they were allowed. The TB idea isn't a bad improvment over my original idea.

However your moving cache is not approvable on geocaching.com. IF you want a moving cache you can try the combo on movingcaches.com. For it to work wiht the TB you would need to restrict the caches to GC.com caches only.

Team Jsam,

Prime Suspect is correct. Traveling (or "parasite") caches are no longer being approved.

I've been thinking about this, however, and I may have come up with a good solution to your problem -- a legitimate way to get around the restriction! It's relatively simple, and would fall well within the currently accepted rules of Geocaching.

Email or PM me if you're interested.

I don't want to give it away here in your thread, only because I like the idea so much that I just might use it myself! :lol: