Is There A Cache Pinpoint Map?

SeekYeFirst

Just wondering how I could find out about caches along the way as we travel on vacation...or even just to grandmother's house? I know the route we would take by looking on a map and would want to know if there are any caches near the route so we could take a detour here and there to find one. I can't search the web site by coordinates, or zip, etc. because I don't know that info. Is there such a thing as a map of all the caches....sortof pinpointed, where you could click on the dot that happens to be near our route, then it would tell us the coordinates or name and we could look it up from there? Am I explaining myself clearly?

Thanks! <><

Just wondering how I could find out about caches along the way as we travel on vacation...or even just to grandmother's house? I know the route we would take by looking on a map and would want to know if there are any caches near the route so we could take a detour here and there to find one. I can't search the web site by coordinates, or zip, etc. because I don't know that info. Is there such a thing as a map of all the caches....sortof pinpointed, where you could click on the dot that happens to be near our route, then it would tell us the coordinates or name and we could look it up from there? Am I explaining myself clearly?

Thanks! <><

you've asked one of those rather complicated questions. its complicated becasue there are many ways of going about this.

i think u'll find google earth the simplist to work with. it will only show you what caches are in what areas.

download google earth http://earth.google.com/

then download the KML file (within your member area on geocaching.com it is on the right hand toolbar roughly 3/4s the way down. )

open the kml file within google earth and try it out

if you want to really get a list of caches along a given route it is typically a process involving microsoft streets and trips, gsak and a program called st2gpx. you can read more at

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=80274

unless ur goin to do alot of caching i suggest just going to the area on google earth and picking some caches you want to go after.

I noticed a "map it" square in the top right of my search page. You know, the page that lists all the caches within , say, 10 miles of the selected zip code. I clicked it and it gave me another map, but nothing was marked on it. It had a legend which made it appear like there should be little symbols on the map where caches could be found. Do you have to be a premium member to use that?

I noticed a "map it" square in the top right of my search page. You know, the page that lists all the caches within , say, 10 miles of the selected zip code. I clicked it and it gave me another map, but nothing was marked on it. It had a legend which made it appear like there should be little symbols on the map where caches could be found. Do you have to be a premium member to use that?

Yes, I beleive this is a premium member feature.

If you are in the US, from the Geocaching main page, click on "By State" in the upper right hand corner. You get a listing of all the most recent events and latest caches. But click on the word [Map] next to the name of your state at the top. An old form of Geocaching.com map will come up.

The nice thing about this old map is that you can zoom, pan, and identify caches without being a premium member.

It seems to be a little-know little-used feature, but should be well suited for what you are looking for.

Hands down ... the quickest and easiest way in my opinion would be to use Google Earth and download and install the Google Earth Plug-in (right hand side of the GC "My Account" page). Find your route, zoom in close enough and the cache symbols along the route will popup for you to see.

If you are in the US, from the Geocaching main page, click on "By State" in the upper right hand corner. You get a listing of all the most recent events and latest caches. But click on the word [Map] next to the name of your state at the top. An old form of Geocaching.com map will come up.

The nice thing about this old map is that you can zoom, pan, and identify caches without being a premium member.

It seems to be a little-know little-used feature, but should be well suited for what you are looking for.

This is great! Just what I was looking for! thanks!