Etrex Legend C Pros And Cons

Okay, so I just picked up an eTrex Legend C Journey pack from my Target on clearance for $99. Before I go and open it can someone tell me the pros and cons of this unit. It came with the Trip and Waypoint manager software, but not Mapsource. It also came with a USB cable and a hip holster. Why would I want to keep it, or are there strong reasons to get a better one. We are casual Geocachers, but our current Cobra though it works beautiully doesn't allow us to download waypoints, we have to enter them manually. Other than that we love it, especially the downloadable maps and large screen.

Thanks

Trip and Waypoint Manager is Mapsource - but just the core program, there are no maps that can be downloaded to the unit. You've got yourself a pretty nice little unit there (at a fabulous price); I'd say that the only reasons to get something better would be if you really run into a need. (If you travel widely without a computer, and so need more memory for maps, for example).

Keith

I've have a Legend C. I like it a lot. Easy to use, good support, plenty of used software around if your looking for additional programs at a little better price. If I had one complaint, it would be for a better antenna system or a way to plug in and external one. But in general it does all I want and then some.

Under heavy tree cover I loose signals at times, but see that others do at the same cache with different GPS units so I'll assume its just part of GPSing with low to mid range setups. I'm sure the uuper price range ones do a little better but right now I'm not willing to go the extra 2 or 3 hundred bucks for a little better.

I get close and then use my powers of reason of where it might be in that given area. So far, so good.

You did very well on the Legend C price wise. I paid $150.00 for mind and thought I did well. You did even better. Thats a lot of bang for the buck. I'll bet this serves you well for along time....

SwampYankee

The only real con with the Legend C is the 24 megs of map storage. Depending on how widely and frequently you travel it can be a limitation. Then again, if you do most of your caching and driving within 50-75 miles of home 24 megs might be more than you'll ever need.

But for 99 bucks? You can't find a better GPS unit for twice that, so stick with it. Worse comes to worse you upgrade in a year and keep the Legend C as a backup. It was an excellent unit when it sold for almost $300 a year ago and for $99, its out of this world.

This is the Legend C, right? The color unit? Not the older, blue Legend? Even if its the older, blue Legend $99 is still a good price (it normally runs between runs $120 and $140), but there are additional cons to the blue Legend.

The only real con with the Legend C is the 24 megs of map storage. Depending on how widely and frequently you travel it can be a limitation. Then again, if you do most of your caching and driving within 50-75 miles of home 24 megs might be more than you'll ever need.

But for 99 bucks? You can't find a better GPS unit for twice that, so stick with it. Worse comes to worse you upgrade in a year and keep the Legend C as a backup. It was an excellent unit when it sold for almost $300 a year ago and for $99, its out of this world.

This is the Legend C, right? The color unit? Not the older, blue Legend? Even if its the older, blue Legend $99 is still a good price (it normally runs between runs $120 and $140), but there are additional cons to the blue Legend.

Yes, the legend C color unit. It was in a back area at a local Target, normally $199 clearanced at $99. I have been playing with it since deciding to keep it. I like the color display and small size. I wish it came with more detailed maps. I'd like to get some more detailed maps, but really don't want to pay more for the stupid CD's then I did for the unit. Any good suggestions on where to find reputable used software, or is there other options than Garmin for downloading maps?

Yes, the legend C color unit. It was in a back area at a local Target, normally $199 clearanced at $99. I have been playing with it since deciding to keep it. I like the color display and small size. I wish it came with more detailed maps. I'd like to get some more detailed maps, but really don't want to pay more for the stupid CD's then I did for the unit. Any good suggestions on where to find reputable used software, or is there other options than Garmin for downloading maps?

The problem is that Mapsource City Select (which is what you probably want) only comes with 2 unlock codes, so buying it used can be an issue. You have to make sure there is an unlock code left.

Its an awesome package though and worth every penny, even if you pay full price. It does door to door autorouting, so you can key in and address and get turn by turn directions to your destination. It also has a database of over 5 million businesses and services. Want to know where the nearest gas station, pub, restaurant (even by type of cuisine), post office, hotel, beauty salon, shopping mall, park, historic site, etc... are, City Select will tell you where and will instruct you how to get there.

If this doesn't interest you, Mapsource Topo is a much cheaper alternative. Its more for showing terrain detail (swamps, streams, hills, cliffs, ravines, ponds, etc...) but does have most roads (only major ones are named though). The data is a little out of date in some areas, but you can use it for finding your way around. You just won't get the turn by turn autorouting or database of businesses and services that you get with City Select.

Legend C owner, I'll reiterate what everyone esle said, fantastic price. Only con is the 24MB memory, which ahs never really bothered me with planning.

Buy City Select if you can, you won't look back if you want it for any form of auto-routing. . I saw it bundled with a roof mountable USB GPS (Garmin 12?) on sale in Target the other day for $99.

Edited by Maingray

Legend C owner, I'll reiterate what everyone esle said, fantastic price. Only con is the 24MB memory, which ahs never really bothered me with planning.

Buy City Select if you can, you won't look back if you want it for any form of auto-routing. . I saw it bundled with a roof mountable USB GPS (Garmin 12?) on sale in Target the other day for $99.

Yes, I saw a post that it was bundled with the USB GPS, and I am trying to find that at Target just for the software.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

When I got my VistaC for Christmas I did a lot of research on which Mapsource to purchase. Based on Garmin's site I bought City Navigator ... big mistake! But when I complained to Garmin they swapped Navigator for Select for me and made me a happy customer. I think you can still order Select from Garmin and, maybe, from other outlets.

If you can't find it then write to Garmin, they will most likely make it right. Happily I think they realize that they pushed Navigator a bit too early and the scuttle-butt is that they will have smaller map segments for Navigator V8.

Personally, I like the City Select map segment size a lot better than Navigator. Unless I had nearly unlimited memory on my GPSr I'd still go for the smaller segments.

Bill W