Mapsource Topo And City Select Working Together?

While searching through this forum the other day, I found buried (In a totally unrelated topic) a statement along the following:

Quote:

If you Start up the Mapsource software and select City Select Maps (And don't download them to your GPS) and then Switch to Topo Maps and select the equivalent areas that you did with City Select (and then download them to your GPS). Your GPS will then have both maps overlayed on each other so that the City Select maps appear to have Topo Characteristics.

End Quote:

I was alway under the impression that only one set of Maps could ever be downloaded... I have a Garmin Vista Cx with City select and will run out and buy the Topo Software if the above statement is true. Does anyone have any insight on this? I appreciate your help.

While searching through this forum the other day, I found buried (In a totally unrelated topic) a statement along the following:

Quote:

If you Start up the Mapsource software and select City Select Maps (And don't download them to your GPS) and then Switch to Topo Maps and select the equivalent areas that you did with City Select (and then download them to your GPS). Your GPS will then have both maps overlayed on each other so that the City Select maps appear to have Topo Characteristics.

End Quote:

I was alway under the impression that only one set of Maps could ever be downloaded... I have a Garmin Vista Cx with City select and will run out and buy the Topo Software if the above statement is true. Does anyone have any insight on this? I appreciate your help.

That statement is partially true. Multiple mapset downloads are done by that method in Mapsource initially and then downloaded to your GPSr. The part that is not correct is the part about City Select appearing to have the Topo characteristics. When 2 or more mapsets are loaded together only one at a time will be displayed and you choose which one via the map setup menu. You would select one to be shown and the others to be hidden. If you should happen to select show all then you will actually only see City Select as it takes preference over Topo and the basemap. Hiding CS will cause Topo to display and then hiding it will get you to the basemap.

So go ahead and run out and buy Topo. That's the best combo for geocaching. Autoroute with CS to the parking coordinates and then decide which side of the river to walk down using Topo. :laughing:

Cheers, Olar

the part about City Select appearing to have the Topo characteristics

Yes this posible, but not through mapsource;[/b

When having City Select and a Topo installed you find them under C:\Garmin\ City Select ...\Topo (Belgium?)

What you do is copy the map Topo Belgium and call it Topo Belgium Transparant.

In the Yahoogroup Mapdecode there is a program Trans.2exe in FILES; Please read again. FILES (?)

With one click you make you copy Topo transparant.

This program only works when you have Mapdecode installed.

With img2gps (a freeware program that uploads garmin maps to your GPS) you upload your City Select maps from the map City Select and after that you upload from your Topo copythat you made transparant.

When they are both in IMG2GPS you upload them together to you gps.

For some; can i upload not unlocked Garmin maps with IMG2GPS; NO YOU CAN'T

mapdekode;

http://paginas.terra.com.br/informatica/do...de_download.htm

ALL THREE 5.2.1.,2,3 !!!

Transp.2exe

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mapdekode

Img2GPS

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mdipol/img2gps

First download and install all program's.

It is really simple.................

FAQ problems and the answers

Last remarks; first try a little amout of maps City Select and your transparant topo

IMG2gps gives the impression you have more space in MB then you do.

When you have uploaded your maps to your gps and you see ONLY your basic map

YOU HAVE UPLOADED TO much maps PLEASE READ again. Please upload LESS maps

When it works;

In your gps you see "info maps" uploaded with sendmap

When you try to load these maps into mapsource from the gps;

mapsource tells you there are no maps.

Lots of fun........

Edited by dusee

My MAP60Csx has 512 MB of ram in it. The Maximum number of maps I can download is 1000, either Topo or City Select. The basemap is still present and might have the appearance of looking like a topo when the street nav is showing and the topo is hidden, but the basemap is showing as well.

If you are on the map page of the GPS, and press "menu" "Setup Map" and scroll to the maps selection, curse ONTO the map select, you can press "menu" than hide or unhide GROUPS of maps, or you can use the map select to choose which maps to show if all maps are shown. They will default to the Street Nav maps, but if there is no Street Nav map for the area, the topo map will show through instead. Just something I noticed palying around.