Geocoins?

bonzmeister

It depends on the coin. If its a trackable and registered coin it should be moved from cache to cache like any other travel bug. Look on the coin for a tracking number and type that number into the travel bug page. If it comes up as registered, move it along.

If its not registered it is usually yours to keep, trade or move along.

Some coins are trackable on sites other than geocaching.com. They will usually have the address of the tracking website on the coin.

Coins that are not trackable are generally treated like any trade item (unless the onwer enclosed special instructions). They are yours to collect if you like, or move to new caches for others to enjoy.

I picked up a geocoin at a cache this week, but I am unsure what I am supposed to do with it. Am I supposed to log it some how and move it along,or can I keep it? ( it is really cool) I'm new to geocaching, and havn't been able to find out what to do. Thanks

I was wondering about these 'coins' also. What is a geocoin? Are they metal or could they be wood also? What makes it a geocoin? Are they just any circular item that contains the name of the geocacher?

Trying to understand. thanks!

I was wondering about these 'coins' also. What is a geocoin? Are they metal or could they be wood also? What makes it a geocoin? Are they just any circular item that contains the name of the geocacher?

They don't even have to be circular. :laughing:

I'm noy sure what actually classifies it as a "geocoin" though

I picked up a geocoin at a cache this week, but I am unsure what I am supposed to do with it. Am I supposed to log it some how and move it along,or can I keep it? ( it is really cool) I'm new to geocaching, and havn't been able to find out what to do. Thanks

Coins are metal. If they are wood they are wooden nickels.

Circular is optional. If they are a personal coin they will most likely contain the name of the cacher. However they could als obe state coins, coins made for humor or honoring something that doesnt' have anything to do with geocaching except for the person who made the coin.

If the coin says "track this coin at www.geocaching.com" somewhere and has a 6 digit tracking number - then it's a traveler, like a travel bug, and you should move it along. There's a "Track Travel Bugs" tab on the left navigation field on GC.com pages. Click on it, then enter the tracking number in the field.

There are also other tracking sites - if one is referenced on the coin - again it's a traveler. Track it on the correct site and move it.

If the coin says "track this coin at www.geocaching.com" somewhere and has a 6 digit tracking number - then it's a traveler, like a travel bug, and you should move it along. There's a "Track Travel Bugs" tab on the left navigation field on GC.com pages. Click on it, then enter the tracking number in the field.

There are also other tracking sites - if one is referenced on the coin - again it's a traveler. Track it on the correct site and move it.

I found one and it has a number to track it on the back but when I try to register it, it says the number/bug doesn't exist. Am I supposed to activate it then or what?

I found one and it has a number to track it on the back but when I try to register it, it says the number/bug doesn't exist. Am I supposed to activate it then or what?

Howdy......

The original owner is suppsed to activate it. Go to the site listed and do it if he/she didn't. I just did the same thing to a 'wooden nickle' I found!

Vern... :mad: