Fess Up! Who Keeps The Coins They Find?

Team 5150

<_< I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not I should put out the money to buy geocions to put into caches. From what I've read I don't know if it will be worth it to spend the money just to add to somebody's coin collection. How many people keep someone elses geocoins instead of placing them in another cache. I probably won't get too many people willing to admit to this though huh? :lol:

I drove an hour to get to the first geocoin I've ever found because I thought I could keep it. (New to caching then).... after I got home, I punched in the tracking number... and it turned out it was trackable. So... I turned it loose.

I don't keep trackables, I wouldn't want it done to me.

I've just started buying coins. Actually, I just started geocaching this year. But I've got a small collection of coins now and have activated half of them expecting to put them in caches. I haven't placed any yet. But I also wonder if that's a fruitless endeavor. The travel bugs that I have released are still actively travelling but I do wonder about the coins. Especially after spending as much on them as I have. The TB tags are cheap (plus the cost of the item it's attached to of course) compared to the coins.

Bill W

The TB tags are cheap (plus the cost of the item it's attached to of course) compared to the coins.

Bill W

I've spent as much or more on a TB as a Geocoin... you can get coins for about $5-6 and the TB tab alone is $5.00 if you buy a four pack. But I do see the coins being more desirable. I have one TB that I have invested $12.00 in... Ford Explorer Toy Truck plus Shipping plus TB tag.

Edited by MetroGT
and it turned out it was trackable. So... I turned it loose.

I don't keep trackables, I wouldn't want it done to me.

I completely agree. That's why I have only activated half of the coins I have (I buy two and activate one) so I can put the unactivated as FTF prizes or whatever. But if it's trackable I'll treat it as a TB and move it along and I would hope that anyone who finds one of mine does the same.

Bill W

I have released over 50 geocoins to the caching world under three different accounts. I have found 38 coins. The only ones I keep are the coins I bought or the coins that were gifts to me. If I run across some body's coin, I might log it in and out of caches for a few days, then release it in a cache with a fair hike or tough difficulty level. I have a lot of the new collector type coins that I bought and have not released. I just share the numbers at events or with cachers I meet along the way. I also have over 100 travelbugs out there floating around. They come up missing, but I figure it is just another way to help support the game. Glen

Edited by RattlingCrew

I loved finding my first coin and just figured I had to put it in another cache, so I did. I've since found coins that have tags attached asking that you keep the coin moving. I've also placed a few coins that I mark up (carve my initials into) to make them less desirable for people to keep, so far that has worked. I always try to purchase more then one coin so I can keep one and share them.

We rarely pickup a coin from a cache when we do we log it and drop it in a cache we like. We own too many coins and invested alot of money into them so we don't activate ours or drop them although everyonce in awhile when we are traveling we drop some glow in the dark DNF coins but mainly we just enjoy looking at them. Although we may drop some activated found it coins in the future.

I have not released anything except the regular geocoin and the German Geocoin. The rest are additions to my collection and icon list. I carry a full Crown Royal bag of coins in my geo-vehicle so I can exchange numbers with cachers I meet. It is about time to buy a few more regular coins and release them. I had some I packed with a secondary coin, like a greenman and a POW-MIA coin. They did not last a month, live and learn I guess. Glen

I think I have around 20 travelling now. The first several USA coins I released in 2004 were all stolen. Although I did get a wierd note posted on my GA On My Mind USA a month or so ago where the person stated the coin wasn't missing, she'd just been too ill to cache and get it placed.

However, since I began drilling a nice hole in them and attaching a travel buddy tag that I bought from geoswag, none have been stolen.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I don't keep coins that I find. Although, right now I have a Ice Cream Man PC that I was hoping to drop off in MD/DC area, but now I'm not sure when or I'll find a cache before I head home.... It's pouring down rain. <_< Dropped off a BBB PC the other day and it was picked up like 2.5hrs later by reading the logs for the cache I dropped it in. :lol: I also try to keep TB's moving towards their goals. I have one of those in my stash right now that 've had a for a while, but I emailed the owner and told them I'd be taking it several places to take it's picture (today - arlington cemetary, wwii memorial and the mall area in dc........

I don't remember ever finding a coin in a cache before that was meant/allowed to be kept. They all had pages asking them to travel, so if I picked them up, I moved them. If I found one the owner said was left as a keeper prize, I would likely keep it if I didn't already have it (if I had it, I would leave it there). I have a few traveling coins out there of my own, and have also left coins as keeper prizes in caches.

I did recently have a person from out of state put a neat personal coin under the driver's side mirror on my car. They saw my car parked by the cache, which is a light pole cache placed in my work parking lot by my Mom just to torture me. I initally refused to log a find on it for some time, but that is a different funny story... The cacher recognized the GPS bumper sticker on my car and left the coin. I drove around for a week before I learned that it was there! It was stuck in there good and tight, so it didn't fall out. I wrote and asked if I could keep it or if I should move it. They said I could keep it. The circumstances of that makes it one of my favorite coins! I thought the whole thing was pretty darn cool! <_<

Edited by carleenp

We have a few USA geocoins that we released a few years ago and 2 of the 4 were still moving as of december 2005..

But honestly we are not convinced that coins go missing easier than a regular travel bug. I believe people pick them up either not knowing what to do with them or they just forget about them or stop caching or what ever.

We have released a few bugs and coins. we drill a hole and attach a tag like the example below.

e8577294-ad42-43a3-b31b-02f95c930342.jpg

So as long as the tag stays with the bug people should know that our traveler has a mission and is not to keep.

oh yeah and to answer your question we would never steal a geocoin or travel bug.

Edited by SunshineGang

As an experiment, I have sent out a few moving coins with no tag, no note, no anything. Just a note on the coin page that I hope it will move so people can get the icon. I was curious how fast they would get stolen that way!

One is happily moving around so far with no issues since January or so. Another is in a rarely found cache, so it will sit a bit. Another is a new release, so we will see. I know the most recent finder will move it though.

I'm interested to see what happens with them!

As an experiment, I have sent out a few moving coins with no tag, no note, no anything. Just a note on the coin page that I hope it will move so people can get the icon.

This is exactly how I found my first geocoin... it was just a coin in a small ziplock style bag.... I moved it though after reading it's page.

what kind of drill bit do you use?

Any type of metal bit will do. <_<

Yep, I use a regular 7/64 Black and Decker drill bit. I press the coin against a piece of wood and start drilling. It usually jams when the bit breaks through to the other side of the coin so I have to back the bit out and drill the end a little slower.

I kept the first coin I found, with the owner's permission. It was a Moun10Bike V1.0.

I am guilty. BUT, I like pdxmarathonman have only kept one coin ( my first found in a cache ) in all my years of geocaching also with the owners permission. Please put my ashes in a old ammo box for doing such a thing. All other coins were gifts or paid for. The one coin I have taken is still the property of the owner.

team sidewinder

Edited by Team Sidewinder

I kept the one and only coin I've found in a cache. That coin was swag and as it happened the only reason I found it was that the guy who dropped it was standing next to me.

Some coins are swag, some are travel bugs. Moun10bike coins are a bit of both.

If you really want yours to travel drill a hole in it and attach a tag. That will help quite a bit.

Edited by Renegade Knight

When we first got into geocaching, we found a USA Geocoin in a cache. It was the first one we had ever seen, and the owner of the coin told us we could keep it if we wanted. We held on to it for a couple of weeks, to admire, but we just didn't feel right about keeping it, so we dropped it into another cache. After that, we drop the coins we find quickly, to keep them moving. :laughing:

I kept the first coin I found, with the owner's permission. It was a Moun10Bike V1.0.

Very nobal and no shame (IMHO). I'd keep that one!

The first coin I found was a Kablooey (Disney) and I also contacted the owner and kept it for a while. Then I found a second and third and relocated both of those. Then I started thinking about the joy I had while sharing compared to the decreased joy of holding that first coin. I thought it had been in my care for long enough and I released the first coin as well. Sure, there's times I'd like to have it back but I'm sure it's making someone more happy than it would me.

My personal rule of thumb now is to only retain one if I've traded it for equal value so the next cacher gets the same joy as I had. I know that may not be the value system of the normal cacher, but I don't need to account for other people's actions.

Would I release a coin with the thought that it will freely travel the Geo-world and bring joy to hundreds of cachers? I didn't just fall of the turnip truck. When I release, I'm betting the next to find will be the only find.

BTW, According to the current eBay Auction... that Moun10Bike coin's value far exceeds $2,000.00 so I'd keep it... in a safe! :laughing:

Any coins I have found are logged and moved on as soon as I can. I love finding them and want others to enjoy them as well. The only coins I have released are the USA and Canada ones, all are still one the move. :laughing::)

Edited by Zork V

I have released all the coins I found except one, and that was an FTF Prize and the cache owner stated it was a keeper.

Of the 4 coins I've placed out as TB's, only the Indiana coin has been stolen and that was placed in the USA. The other 3 USA coins were sent to Finland and are still traveling.

I just set out my first cache, a milestone in itself, and placed an unactivated FTF USA geocoin in it's contents with another one activated and set to travel. I need to update my cache's contents also as I forgot to log that into my inventory! Thanks for insight on "how to keep your geocoins travelling" ie: drilling a hole and attaching a tag to the coin. My Grand Experiment, only on a Small Scale.

I would like to see a Moun10Bike or other landmark geocoin(s) come passing through my sparcely pop. area, just to have one in my grubby little hands...only for a short time. :lol: I would keep'em moving.

I have several coins that are activated and I will be releasing them. I like the idea of drilling a hole in them and attaching a tag. The forums are great for ideas! I've only found 1 coin and I sent it on its way. I would never keep a coin unless it was a FTF prize. (I have used coins as FTF prizes)

I own several TBs as well, and I'm sure a few may end up missing, but thats the risk of releasing them.

I just dropped a non-trackable Placeholder coin from cointracking.com in a cache. I expect someone to pick it up and keep it. If I drop a trackable coin, I expect the person to follow the goal.

nielsenc

But from time to time, good cachers make bad mistakes... :D Sorry that I've kept one of your coins for so long. It was an honest mistake.

I see one of my Travel Bugs was just moved closer to it's goal today. When it started on it's mission, one of the first cachers to pick it up kept it for over a year! I wrote the guy over and over again to request he release it. I then resorted to a route of scheduled emails. Then one day, he wrote back to say he was sorry and promised to get it back out - which he did. It's been progressing ever since.

I guess that's the end of my confession for today. Now I need to go find a cache large enough to fit a nielsenc coin. :lol:

I just dropped a non-trackable Placeholder coin from cointracking.com in a cache. I expect someone to pick it up and keep it. If I drop a trackable coin, I expect the person to follow the goal.

nielsenc

But from time to time, good cachers make bad mistakes... :laughing: Sorry that I've kept one of your coins for so long. It was an honest mistake.

I see one of my Travel Bugs was just moved closer to it's goal today. When it started on it's mission, one of the first cachers to pick it up kept it for over a year! I wrote the guy over and over again to request he release it. I then resorted to a route of scheduled emails. Then one day, he wrote back to say he was sorry and promised to get it back out - which he did. It's been progressing ever since.

I guess that's the end of my confession for today. Now I need to go find a cache large enough to fit a nielsenc coin. :ph34r:

You know, I held a WI coin for just too long :unsure:. I put in in a cache in the central valley. I also have some old TBs that I keep leaving at home!

The other day, I was at my brothers house and he said he found a TB that had been 'lost' for a year at their place. So yes, people do gather them, want to move them, and they get lost.

nielsenc

:laughing: I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not I should put out the money to buy geocions to put into caches. From what I've read I don't know if it will be worth it to spend the money just to add to somebody's coin collection. How many people keep someone elses geocoins instead of placing them in another cache. I probably won't get too many people willing to admit to this though huh? :unsure:

If I purchase a geocoin then I'm keeping it. If I find one in a cache then I will honor the intent and treat it as a TB.

Toponym

I have released 39 USA coins and 35 AJAYHAWKFAN coins in the wild. I started with the USA coins about a year and a half ago. The first ones I put out got snatched up and never logged. However, I have been having much better luck with the later ones I have placed. I believe because the USA coins are fairly common.

One the other hand, almost all of my AJAYHAWKFAN coins have been picked up and kept. I knew that would most likely happen when I had them made. I only hope the people who pick it up logs it in.

One the other hand, almost all of my AJAYHAWKFAN coins have been picked up and kept. I knew that would most likely happen when I had them made. I only hope the people who pick it up logs it in.

Now there's the only coin that is not mine in my collection, but I consider the AJAYHAWKFAN coin that I have as a gift. I also log it in and out once in awhile and share the numbers with others along the way. I did not find it in a cache though, it seems to have showed up in the mail. :mad: Whether or not you are a Jayhawk fan, you have to admire the design, this coin is the nicest designed and finished coin I have seen. :mad: When I get around to doing my coins, one will show up in his mailbox. Glen

Now there's the only coin that is not mine in my collection, but I consider the AJAYHAWKFAN coin that I have as a gift. I also log it in and out once in awhile and share the numbers with others along the way. I did not find it in a cache though, it seems to have showed up in the mail. :( Whether or not you are a Jayhawk fan, you have to admire the design, this coin is the nicest designed and finished coin I have seen. :mad: When I get around to doing my coins, one will show up in his mailbox. Glen

How any anyone not like a bird that wears boots? :mad:

Thanks for the nice comments on my coin!

Trackable (activated) -- move it

Trackable (unactivated) -- contact placer (if known) and ask if they forgot to activate. Otherwise, trade fair or activate and release (depending on if I have it)

Non-trackable -- if I have it I move it, if not -- then I trade fair (another coin or item worth $6-$10)

I have over 100 coins activated -- about 50 or so in my collection that travels with me to events and another 50 in the wild. So far, it's going really well. I may have lost a few, but the folks that stole them will have to live with the guilt.

The only really painful loss was a Travel Bug called "Learn to Log a Geocoin" -- however, at least all the coins were scratched.

I have never found an unactivated coin in a cache and I have never kept one that was activated.

I've spent a ton of money on the coins I keep unactivated and release activated, about a dozen or so by now.

I think one coin has gone missing and I want to hang the person that has it.

I would never keep a coin meant for travel. I have bought or traded for all of my coins except for this one:

Moun10bike CoinOwner: Moun10Bike

Released: Saturday, December 24, 2005

Origin: Idaho, United States

Use TBQHRD to reference this travel bug.

How do Travel Bugs Work?

Recently Spotted: In the hands of Chumpo

Current GOAL: There is currently no goal for this item.

About this item: Coinament

Merry Christmas!

:D:(:):mad::mad::(:DB)B):D:)

:laughing: People do move Geocoins around for cache to cache. I have activated 51 coins with about 35 of them already out and moving and only 5 are MIA. Also I have set out 20 numberered coins and several of those are still moving. It is exciting to find a Geocoin in a cache and I will keep setting them out and moving the ones I find. :huh: