Gps And Morel Mushrooms

rick f

<_< At this time I have "sun glasses"4- sale @ the low cost of 0.99 .Yes it's spring and for less than a dollar

you can see the verrrry hard to find "morell" . shipping is $10,000.00 each.

Hi, my name is Rick and every year I go someplace in the US , MORELL MUSHROOM HUNTING. Please Don't think they are the "silly toad stools" hippys eat . I live in Vegas and am new to this geo thing. Just wanted to let you know I think this will be fun and any help with morell hunting ,I would like to thank you in advance.

Please look on the web for "MORELL MUSHROOM "(they look like some that will not be good for you) Any input from you pros, lat lon?????

Edited by rick f

You might do better looking for "Morel" with only one "L".

I can tell you that my experience with the "pro" morel hunters in the northwest is that they very well might kill you if they find you picking morels in places that they have staked out for themselves, even if they are on national forest property. They take it as seriously as some people take their illegal cash crops.

Considering that these mushrooms sell for insane prices, I don't think anyone will give you their exact coordinates to their locations for free. If I knew a place where they grew in abundance, I don't think I would tell my own mother! <_<

But start here and have some fun looking.

http://www.morelmushroomhunting.com/

I found one a few weeks ago while hiking. I left it where it was, but I have enjoyed eating them in the NW while camping.

Edited by YuccaPatrol

aaaahhhhhh the memories of my youth ...

My dad has had me hunting mushrooms with him since I could walk. Our favorites are morels and chanterelles. The chanterelles are my personal favorite and are great in spaghetti sauce and lasagna.

My dad also used to teach a course in Scouts about edible plants in our region. Mushrooms were always one of his favorite topics. We still go to his favorite spots every year.

yum!

aaaahhhhhh the memories of my youth ...

My dad has had me hunting mushrooms with him since I could walk. Our favorites are morels and chanterelles. The chanterelles are my personal favorite and are great in spaghetti sauce and lasagna.

My dad also used to teach a course in Scouts about edible plants in our region. Mushrooms were always one of his favorite topics. We still go to his favorite spots every year.

yum!

My dad THOUGHT he knew about mushrooms. When we lived in California, he took the family into the mountains and we loaded the trunk of the car with fresh mushrooms. When we got home, a neighbor told us they were all poisonous.

I've found morels while camping in the Spring in Central Indiana. Sauteed in butter....I just may go camping next month!

Morels are toxic if not cooked (sauteed is the prime choice. Yum)

Gotta pick most of the maggots off of 'em though.

Morels ALL OVER the sacramento area.

My business partner is a 20+ year micophogist. I know the field markings for the common ones, but let him confirm anything I bring back. . .

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Go hunt tupperware. Finding tupperware in the woods in sooooo much fun and I'll be glad to show you how to find it. But when it comes to m.m. Shhhhhhhhhhhh! <_< Know what I'm saying?

Sauteed Tupperware just doesn't taste the same.

Adrenalynn, I was living in Fair Oaks when we had our mushroom adventure.

The only location I keep under tighter security than my Morel field is my Huckleberry patch.

You can have the coords when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

That can be arranged... :lol:<_<

Ok dont take this the wrong way but Adrenalynn how are you not a guy. first a pretty decent understanding of computers "(I worked on postscript drivers for 'OS6, then later worked for Filemaker post-Claris...)" then later "Personally, I'd mount 'em up on my linux boot anyway."

now "That can be arranged...."

This came up recently and the OP was quick to give up his spot.

I remember back in the 70's our neighbors near our vacation home were amateur mycologists. They gave my dad a 10 minute primer on which mushrooms were edible and which to avoid. So dad comes back from an afternoon in the woods with a bag of mushrooms. We all refused to eat them, so dad cooked them up and had them on his burger and again in his eggs the next morning. I guess dad was just lucky.

We were not so lucky when my mother in law came back with some puff balls, telling us that all puff balls were edible. Being that she is somewhat of a naturalist, we all believed her and tried some. She was wrong.

<_< At this time I have "sun glasses"4- sale @ the low cost of 0.99 .Yes it's spring and for less than a dollar

Hi, my name is Rick and every year I go someplace in the US , MORELL MUSHROOM HUNTING. Please Don't think they are the "silly toad stools" hippys eat . I live in Vegas and am new to this geo thing. Just wanted to let you know I think this will be fun and any help with morell hunting ,I would like to thank you in advance.

Please look on the web for "MORELL MUSHROOM "(they look like some that will not be good for you) Any input from you pros, lat lon?????

We have a cache here (Pittsburgh) that takes you on a mushroom hunt. It's a multi, and it highlights the three types of mushrooms that grow in the area and when. Each stage takes you to an area where a different type would grow.

This came up recently and the OP was quick to give up his spot.

I remember back in the 70's our neighbors near our vacation home were amateur mycologists. They gave my dad a 10 minute primer on which mushrooms were edible and which to avoid. So dad comes back from an afternoon in the woods with a bag of mushrooms. We all refused to eat them, so dad cooked them up and had them on his burger and again in his eggs the next morning. I guess dad was just lucky.

We were not so lucky when my mother in law came back with some puff balls, telling us that all puff balls were edible. Being that she is somewhat of a naturalist, we all believed her and tried some. She was wrong.

Yeah, and false morels will make you pretty sick too.

This thread just makes me wonder when someone is going to think those Avenging Angels are really pretty enough to be eaten.

The only location I keep under tighter security than my Morel field is my Huckleberry patch.

That can be arranged... :):)

Ok dont take this the wrong way but Adrenalynn how are you not a guy. first a pretty decent understanding of computers "(I worked on postscript drivers for 'OS6, then later worked for Filemaker post-Claris...)" then later "Personally, I'd mount 'em up on my linux boot anyway."

[sERIOUS OT ALERT!]

That always cracks me up. . .

I have a masters in math and another in computer science. My doctorate is in business. More patents than the number of years I've been on the planet, in nineteen countries and counting...

I'm a Marine Corps Brat. I was born to self-sufficiency.

People just assume, though, that it's impossible for a woman to be skilled in these areas. I mean, come on, what year is this? Where'd I leave that poodle skirt again?

I'm not as strong as the average guy. But I'm faster, have better endurance, and I'm smarter. So in *any* challenge, the average guy is going to go home licking his wounds, having just been bested by a girl...

Case in point: Day before yesterday, I had to load a walk-behind concrete saw onto the truck. Everyone was at lunch, so I did it by myself. I went to the rental place to return it - they didn't have anyone that wasn't at lunch to unload it. I got tired of waiting, so I unloaded it too. The guy behind the counter was flabbergasted: "How could you possibly load and unload that? I've never seen one guy be able to do that!?"

I replied: "Archimedes taught me how." Smiled sweetly, signed the papers, and left.

I had rolled it on to a couple pieces of 10' unistrut strapped together and braced on the rack. "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum upon which to place it, and I shall move the world.". Doesn't weigh more than a sack of potatoes when you have 6m of lever on a couple meter's worth of fulcrum. :laughing:

The moral to this whole tale? Simple, really: Anyone can do anything once they decide to stop being afraid of doing it. Whether they survive it or not is solely dependant upon how well they've thought it out...

Ok - I'm done with the rant now...

[edited to place the Archimedes quote in full]

Edited by Adrenalynn
The moral to this whole tale? Simple, really: Anyone can do anything once they decide to stop being afraid of doing it. Whether they survive it or not is solely dependant upon how well they've thought it out...

I agree with you 100%! The president of the company I work for is a 40-something female with a Masters in Art from Notre Dame. She can hang drywall and cabinets, install minor electrical work and paint a beautiful portrait. I taught her how to use a scrollsaw and a wood lathe. She'll take on projects herself that the guys in the plant are afraid (or too lazy) to do.

And to top it all off...She's BLONDE!

. . .

I've eaten some fresh Morels in salads but not often and have never seen any reference that states that raw Morels are "toxic".

Can you give us a source for this information.

BTW, this archived cache of mine Pick Me Pinckney is near one of my "secret" Morel spots. I've also picked and eaten Morels found in inner city Detroit backyards and from city parks but those are rare finds.

My family used to go mushroom hunting all the time. I thought about this too, marking the locations. I never ate them but loved to hunt for them and then give them to family. We would come back with bags full of them. I think this is why I like geocaching so much. I love the hunt! I don't think I would mark the locations if I did still go hunting. It would take the fun out of it for me.

Oh yea, I agree with another poster that people are real protective of their spots. I remember a man coming up with a shotgun on one of our hunting trips in Illinois. He told us to leave that it was his spot. :laughing:

That can be arranged... :laughing::unsure:

[sERIOUS OT ALERT!]

That always cracks me up. . .

I have a masters in math and another in computer science. My doctorate is in business. More patents than the number of years I've been on the planet, in nineteen countries and counting...

I'm a Marine Corps Brat. I was born to self-sufficiency.

People just assume, though, that it's impossible for a woman to be skilled in these areas. I mean, come on, what year is this? Where'd I leave that poodle skirt again?

I'm not as strong as the average guy. But I'm faster, have better endurance, and I'm smarter. So in *any* challenge, the average guy is going to go home licking his wounds, having just been bested by a girl...

Case in point: Day before yesterday, I had to load a walk-behind concrete saw onto the truck. Everyone was at lunch, so I did it by myself. I went to the rental place to return it - they didn't have anyone that wasn't at lunch to unload it. I got tired of waiting, so I unloaded it too. The guy behind the counter was flabbergasted: "How could you possibly load and unload that? I've never seen one guy be able to do that!?"

I replied: "Archimedes taught me how." Smiled sweetly, signed the papers, and left.

I had rolled it on to a couple pieces of 10' unistrut strapped together and braced on the rack. "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum upon which to place it, and I shall move the world.". Doesn't weigh more than a sack of potatoes when you have 6m of lever on a couple meter's worth of fulcrum. :ph34r:

Ok - I'm done with the rant now...

[edited to place the Archimedes quote in full]

I LOVE it! Way to go, woman!

My family used to go mushroom hunting all the time. I thought about this too, marking the locations. I never ate them but loved to hunt for them and then give them to family. We would come back with bags full of them. I think this is why I like geocaching so much. I love the hunt! I don't think I would mark the locations if I did still go hunting. It would take the fun out of it for me.

Oh yea, I agree with another poster that people are real protective of their spots. I remember a man coming up with a shotgun on one of our hunting trips in Illinois. He told us to leave that it was his spot. :laughing:

I sauted some mushrooms just a few hours ago. I have been hunting them since my teen years. I'm not one who will eat them every single day. I like them one time and that's all until the next year. I also share mine with those who want them. They are expensive in Illinois. They sell for $12 per pound in my city and yes I have actually seen people paying for them. Personally, I wuld never pay for them. Everyone is trying to get me to tell them my spot. I just say well I went out caching and found them somewhere in the woods. I'll never give my area away. :unsure: Happy hunting and happy caching!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found a cauliflower mushroom growing right next to a cache last fall. We took the mushroom home and ate it. It's my new favorite mushroom type.

I've been getting a few morels here this year. They don't grow in the same spot year after year though.

My mushroom club goes on a more hunting foray in May, I hope to get lots of morels then.

When I'm in the woods I'm always torn between hunting for mushrooms, rocks or geocaches.

Morels make a nice hearty mushroom soup. True Morels have a hollow stalk .... False Morels (the bad ones) have a solid stalk. The cylium that they grow from is very fragile ..... and they usually do not come back up in the same place the next year. They like the North Side of hills especially near apple orchards. You'd expect to see them in heavily shaded areas .... but they frequently pop up out in the open. If they are out in the open grab them quickly as Sun exposure will kill them off. Price? Around $30 to $40 a pound!!! We also like breaded and fried giant puff balls. If you go treking in the outdoors .... you really should learn what's edible and what's not. :ph34r: ImpalaBob

Morels make a nice hearty mushroom soup. True Morels have a hollow stalk .... False Morels (the bad ones) have a solid stalk. The cylium that they grow from is very fragile ..... and they usually do not come back up in the same place the next year. They like the North Side of hills especially near apple orchards. You'd expect to see them in heavily shaded areas .... but they frequently pop up out in the open. If they are out in the open grab them quickly as Sun exposure will kill them off. Price? Around $30 to $40 a pound!!! We also like breaded and fried giant puff balls. If you go treking in the outdoors .... you really should learn what's edible and what's not. :huh: ImpalaBob

Don't puff balls have spores in them that supposedly get you high if you inhale or sniff them? I dunno.. I just sorta remember something about them from back in school. Getting high was never my thing, so I have no firsthand knowledge.

I know I'm going deeper off topic, but we are discussing mushrooms in a geocaching forum to begin with... :ph34r:

OK, back on topic (?) morels are pretty good cooked up with garlic and butter.. but then again, what isn't? My dad usually finds them in his back yard. Never knew they sold for so much money. Maybe I'll have to moonlight as a morel hunter. :huh:

Thanks, Vinnie! ;)

. . .

I've eaten some fresh Morels in salads but not often and have never seen any reference that states that raw Morels are "toxic".

Can you give us a source for this information.

BTW, this archived cache of mine Pick Me Pinckney is near one of my "secret" Morel spots. I've also picked and eaten Morels found in inner city Detroit backyards and from city parks but those are rare finds.

Methylhydrazines are the culprit...

What do you want for reference? Field guide says so. Here's Evergreen College, WA: "The consequences of consuming uncooked or only lightly cooked morels can be a bout of vomiting and cramps often accompanied with dizziness, headache, and a tired feeling. Morels are not candidates for slicing raw into salads as one chef at a banquet discovered." http://www.evergreen.edu/mushrooms/introm/s4.htm

Western Montana Mycological Society warns: http://www.fungaljungal.org/newslett/state2.htm

Even true morels can cause illness if they are eaten uncooked or if they are contaminated with other substances. There are two important safety considerations with morels. First, heat them to 160 degrees for 10 minutes or more (never eat them raw). This drives off volatile "methylhydrazines" that cause problems.

Mykoweb warns: http://www.mykoweb.com/articles/lust.html

The list goes on. But I just go with my field-guide. It's not worth playing games with fungus. They'll kick your @ss every time.

;) At this time I have "sun glasses"4- sale @ the low cost of 0.99 .Yes it's spring and for less than a dollar

I find these things every single year. They are delicious to cook, and only a handful of people know that they exist, and even fewer know where to find them in my area.

Good eatin'.

DocDitto asked "Don't puff balls have spores in them that supposedly get you high if you inhale or sniff them? I dunno.. I just sorta remember something about them from back in school. Getting high was never my thing, so I have no firsthand knowledge."

I've never know that ..... but I only pick them when they are fresh and white. Here is a interesting web site on Giant Puff Balls. I ccok them as described in the article. <_< ImpalaBob

I've picked an eaten puffball for years. Which ones are toxic???

I know that some mushrooms should not be cooked with alcohol. If I can't positively identify it, I don't eat it. (And we got lots of chanterelles on my hill in the fall, especially after a rain...shhhhhhhhh.......)

Edited by ATMouse

My Uncle Don is an avid mushroom hunter who bought a Garmin GPSIII to record his favorite hunting spots. When I showed up at a family reunion wearing my Geocaching.com cap, he got excited because he realized he finally had someone in the family he could talk to about GPS's.

He's not interested in caching at all, but loves his Garmin and uses it to navigate the woods and the world as well. His only concern about all of us is that cachers are finally starting to get a little too close to his cherished mushroom spots. :mad:

Bret

I agree with you 100%! The president of the company I work for is a 40-something female with a Masters in Art from Notre Dame. She can hang drywall and cabinets, install minor electrical work and paint a beautiful portrait. I taught her how to use a scrollsaw and a wood lathe. She'll take on projects herself that the guys in the plant are afraid (or too lazy) to do.

Is she single??

Gotta pick most of the maggots off of 'em though.

Morels ALL OVER the sacramento area.

My business partner is a 20+ year micophogist. I know the field markings for the common ones, but let him confirm anything I bring back. . .

Yeah - you gotta sautee them. But in 30+ years I have NEVER had to pick maggots off of them. ICK!

Interesting stories in this thread. If you're new to muchroom hunting then do your homework, or at least go with someone who definitely knows what they're doing. It's time better spent than being in the hospital.

Is she single??

Yep!

All during my youth, I hated mushrooms! Wouldn't have any part of them. A couple of years ago, a friend’s parents were visiting, and took all of us out to dinner. The friend’s father ordered stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer. Because I was a guest, I felt compelled to sample the thing. To my surprise, it was actually good! Very good! After that I started to stop avoiding mushrooms, allowing them to stay in dishes when they previously would have been unceremoniously isolated and ushered over to the side of the plate.

About a month ago, I had a delicious salad that had all sorts of grilled veggies, and sautéed mushrooms. That did it! I've been on a mushroom kick ever since. I've been buying sliced baby portabellas and sautéing them in olive oil either alone, or with onions or zucchini. My mother (who was pleasantly shocked that I made the mushroom switchover) has recommended parsnips as a good sauté combo.

Does anyone have any good recipes or suggestions?

I've never had a Morel mushroom, but am very curious. How do they compare with Portabellas?

We've had puffballs growing in our yard the past several years. I've always avoided them with the lawnmower, as I thought they were neat, and liked to tap them when mature. Am now thinking that not all will be reaching the puff stage this year. (I will allow some to spread their spores and bring more puffy goodness).

Last year, Moxie "discovered" the puffballs, and didn't know what to make of them. (She was only about 4-6 months old or so.) She stopped right in her tracks and started barking at the biggest one! She eventually got courageous enough to ambush the thing, and plowed right into it. It was still white, and had no puff to it, but she was very surprised nonetheless! :lol:

-Edited to correct atrocious spelling, now that I'm home and have collected my brain. :)

Edited by team moxiepup

I've never had a Morel mushroom, but am very curious. How do they compare with Portabellas?

Well for one thing, if you buy them in the supermarket, they're alot more expensive. We think that they're much tastier... like comparing clams to escargot! We got lucky yesterday and found 3 plump, tasty morels during our caching expedition.

1a0f7755-f83b-4f81-a2a3-ff542c6c709b.jpg

Edited by koikeeper

Umm...well, as much as I love mushrooms, I couldn't bring myself to eat something that looked like that did! Brad and the kids went out later yesterday afternoon and found about 8 more...they all tried them though. We went back out today, between the rain falls, and found 2 more. I am sure tomorrow will be a great day for them...so I will probably head out again.

Edited by The Herd

I've never seen these, but I have heard of them. I just don't know that I would trust a mushroom that I didn't get at a market, as a kid I used to always hear about 'poisonous toadstools'. (But I do love what I get at the store, in fact, I'm picking some up to sautee' with some scallops I got while diving this weekend. MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm!)

Umm...well, as much as I love mushrooms, I couldn't bring myself to eat something that looked like that did! Brad and the kids went out later yesterday afternoon and found about 8 more...they all tried them though. We went back out today, between the rain falls, and found 2 more. I am sure tomorrow will be a great day for them...so I will probably head out again.

Hey, if you guys don't want 'em, just gimme a call. I'll drive up and relieve you of the burden of disposal. :laughing: I'm not getting to go Morel-hunting this year; we usually go at my parents' place over Memorial Day weekend, but I don't get to go to their place this year till July. :laughing: