Why Does Garmin Say, One Map Progam Will Work

Why does the Garmin web site tells me that the City Navigator North America v7, works on a GPSmap 60cx, but MetroGuide North America v7 does not?

If my Vista can hold and use maps, and my 60cx can hold and use maps, why can't I use MetroGuide North America v7 on both. Now the city Nav is like 50 dallors more then MetroGuide. Is it a money thing, or is there really functions in one that works with only my 60CX?

AL

Why does the Garmin web site tells me that the City Navigator North America v7, works on a GPSmap 60cx, but MetroGuide North America v7 does not?

If my Vista can hold and use maps, and my 60cx can hold and use maps, why can't I use MetroGuide North America v7 on both. Now the city Nav is like 50 dallors more then MetroGuide. Is it a money thing, or is there really functions in one that works with only my 60CX?

AL

I think they are referring more to the autorouting aspect. CN will autoroute on a 60cx but MGNA will not. That doesn't mean you cannot install MG maps on the 60, it just means you will only be able to display and not autoroute.

Olar

I hope I get this right .... Metroguide does not provide unit level autorouting (but it does on a laptop with nRoute)... and it's POI database is very small because the units it was used on did not have a lot of memory. Along came City Select which did unit level autorouting for the newer units and had a whole lot more POI database items. It's map segments were sized to fit a comfortable bunch into the units bigger memory. Finally City Navigator came on the market and it did everything City Select did ..... except it's map segments were much bigger to take advantage of more memory primarily on a microSD removable chip which only the even newer "x" units have. City Select is slated for oblivion so the next newest City Navigator will revert back to smaller map segments so the old City Select customers can still use it. Oh .... and the City Navigator only comes on DVD so it requires you to upgrade your computer!!!! Welcome to programmed obsolescence ..... or how the electronics industry forces you to upgrade.

LPs > 45s > 8-tracks > cassettes > DVDs > MP3s > XM Sat > ...... What's next??? <_< ImpalaBob

LPs > 45s > 8-tracks > cassettes > DVDs > MP3s > XM Sat > ...... What's next??? :huh: ImpalaBob

The voices in your head...? <_<

Now - on topic:

Just because Garmin does not list a product as being compatible, it doesn't mean that it won't work with the unit in question. It just means that there's a better product solution based on the unit's capabilities. MetroGuide will most certainly work on the 60Cx. But because the 60Cx has autorouting capabilities, and MetroGuide does not support autorouting on the GPSr, City Navigator is the best solution (according to Garmin - I still think City Select is a better choice).

Edited by Neo_Geo