The Ever Increasing Price Of Geocoins

UtChaz & Family

I've sat here for a short time collecting what I can afford in the way of Geo Coins... In that time I've seen prices sore, beginning around $7 and now this... $20 ea for the Obsessed set.

Some costs I'm sure have increased, tracking numbers and icons also have added a dollar or two. I even understand that some coins have intricate designs that cost more also.

But on a more realistic note, most of these coins would have sold for $7.50, with shipping included, less than a year ago. Why has the price of Geocoins gone through the roof? Could it be the same reason our gasoline prices are inching over $3.00 a gallon? Greed...

Why do we let this in to our midst???

Again everyone this is my own opinion and I mean no disrespect to those selling these coins but my pockets are only so full...

Chaz

IMO, prices have gone up because collectors have been willing to pay these increasing prices. Someone sees that a coin sells for $7 and then sells their coin for $8. Another sees that and then sells their coin for $9. And so on and so on. I have noticed prices have been going down though, at certain "stores" that sell "geocoins".

DOh! You used the forbidden word... GREED! It's "supply and demand" <_<

I think the biggest factor is cachers treating the minting of Geocoins as a business more than a hobby. I'm neutral on that, since there's nothing wrong with making a profit on an idea that drives demand. However, I admire very much people who mint them at cost or at a loss for the enjoyment of others. :huh: (Think Moun10Bike, who made this all possible)

Another factor is the minter raising prices. There's no choice there, it's like OPEC raising prices. You can say the minter in China is being greedy, but ask anyone who's toured the factory there - the process is labor intensive especially for color coins, so it's subject to fluctuating costs.

As for The Obsessed Set, I bought the blue collar edition ($40 + shipping for the set of 4) since the designers didn't get all defensive about patriotism and all that. They were delivered to me in 2 days.

Edited by budd-rdc

DOh! You used the forbidden word... GREED! It's "supply and demand" <_<

:(DingDingDing!!!!! :huh:

EXACTLY!!!!!

That is the whole reason for the prices, No other reason.

If you're gonna pay, they're gonna sell. Now that the prices are so high, I have drastically cut my spending on geocoins, and only buy the ones I REALLY like, or are priced fairly. :(

The prices appear to be going down again. Take a look at all the coins (mostly personal) that are getting thier threads bumped with "still some left", "I miscounted and there are a few more available", "price dropped to", "why aren't my coins selling", etc. and you can see that they are not selling the way they used to.

Months ago ANY coin sold out in minutes or hours. Now, unless it's a really cool design, concept, etc. it's harder to sell. Look at the Original Stash coins - a great concept (IMO) and it still took a few days to sell out.

Demand is going down and pricing should follow.

It took 6 days to completely sell out the Original Stash/Plaque coin. The last of a dying breed, a 'sold-out' geocoin, and maybe the beginning of the end for the coin craze...

Personally, I would like to see Sig Items make a comeback...they're less expensive to make, and add that 'personal touch' to a cache...rather than a mass-produced coin...

Sig items...anyone remember those??? <_<

Edited by TEAM 360

Personally, I would like to see Sig Items make a comeback...they're less expensive to make, and add that 'personal touch' to a cache...rather than a mass-produced coin...

Check out the "Tokens are cool" and the "Wooden Nickel trading" categories, we're still here. :huh:

In honor of our starchy moderator, I am recommending the following movie, "I Love You To Death" It has Tracey Ullman and Kevin Kline in it, a great pasta movie. Hilarious! :(

Edited by 57chevy

It took 6 days to completely sell out the Original Stash/Plaque coin. The last of a dying breed, a 'sold-out' geocoin, and maybe the beginning of the end for the coin craze...

You are welcome to visit the San Francisco Bay Area for some caching. Lots and lots of unique signature items in our turf. (We'd also love to see the O.C.B. TB in person :lol: )

What ever happened to trading coins instead of selling them? These were coveted coins that could only be traded for. No need to worry about paypal fees, shipping costs or tracking numbers. It all came out in the wash. Just good old fun where there was no desire to screw your geo-buddies out of a few bucks. :laughing:

What ever happened to trading coins instead of selling them? These were coveted coins that could only be traded for. No need to worry about paypal fees, shipping costs or tracking numbers. It all came out in the wash. Just good old fun where there was no desire to screw your geo-buddies out of a few bucks. :laughing:

Amen brother. I think the market is finally coming around to it's senses.

Those of you who bashed me for challenging coins a while ago with statements like "what does this coin have to do with caching?" may all apologize now.

I'm waiting.

Seriously.

Ok, fine. What Marky said is true as well. State/Regional/Country coins still make sense to sell but at reasonable prices.

Some will not trade. So I sell some to buy the others. But I am always open to trades first.

Team Sand Dollar

(Team Sand Dollar and Buffalo Wings geocoins)

Yep. Supply and demand is the culpret. But just as happens in real life, over supply has been pushing down prices. It's common to see lower quality coins selling on ebay for less than their initial offering price. A lot of the "Free Lunch" coins haven't sold and the prices are being reduced on those. And when was the last time you had a problem buying a coin that was produced in any number?

Prices are the how the market communicates. High prices scream - "MAKE MORE! We want it NOW!" Low prices mutter, "Quit sending this crap." The free market works if we let it. If only that arogant bunch in DC could figure that out and lay off their cheezy press conferences about gas prices.

Yep. Supply and demand is the culpret. But just as happens in real life, over supply has been pushing down prices. It's common to see lower quality coins selling on ebay for less than their initial offering price. A lot of the "Free Lunch" coins haven't sold and the prices are being reduced on those. And when was the last time you had a problem buying a coin that was produced in any number?

Prices are the how the market communicates. High prices scream - "MAKE MORE! We want it NOW!" Low prices mutter, "Quit sending this crap." The free market works if we let it. If only that arogant bunch in DC could figure that out and lay off their cheezy press conferences about gas prices.

There is no free market on tracking...

There is no free market on tracking...

This is true. However, since the market appears to have assigned a value to tracking that is in excess of what Groundspeak charges, I don't know that it really affects coin prices much (other than that it increases demand for them). In other words, if Groundspeak lowered the price of tracking, I doubt it would reduce the prices for coins, and in fact they might event be able to raise it some without increasing the price of coins generally.

....This is true. However, since the market appears to have assigned a value to tracking that is in excess of what Groundspeak charges, I don't know that it really affects coin prices much (other than that it increases demand for them). In other words, if Groundspeak lowered the price of tracking, I doubt it would reduce the prices for coins, and in fact they might event be able to raise it some without increasing the price of coins generally.

I agree with the first part. People like and pay for trackable coins. But it does increase the price by about 2 bucks a coin give or take. When I put up the first friends of caching coin I'll have a price breakdown that shows what the tracking does to the coin.