Personal Tb's

I was reading last night over on the TB forum about the case for having a personal TB that you just 'dip' into every cache you visit. I'm not sure I'd be too bothered about the actual mileage (i.e. returning to home between trips etc) but it struck me as an interesting idea. As a noob with only 30 or so finds, it wouldn't be too much hassle to go back over my previous finds (in order) to build up a history for my travels.

Does anyone else here use personal TB's? What do you perceive as the advantages and disavantages? Also what would you use: a standard old TB or a 'special' coin?

I had thought of doing the same thing a while ago, mainly so I could get an idea for the mileage. GeocacheUK.com has a stats page which shows your mileage (I'm not sure how it's worked out, maybe one of the G:UK team might know?)

I've got a feeling that I might not want to know my mileage now - for fear of knowing how much I've spent on fuel! :unsure::rolleyes::)

Here's a link to your stats page on G:UK.com - Your stats link

Roy, a.k.a. Messe is your man for logging a personal TB in and out of every cache he visits. I think the petrol used info would scare me too so I won't be following suit. Interesting idea though, and as you say, being a nube makes it much easier to go back and log the ones you've already found.

Well, petrol isn't a concern for me because a) I have a company car & B ) I don't like using it out of work - it hasn't moved since last Thursday! So my caching is at the moment based on where I happen to be going anyway on trips for work or hols, or 'local' stuff that I can walk or very short drive to.

I've discovered the my stats page, but was wondering what others thought about personal TBs. From a mileage point of view I would look at logging in and out of every cache since I started in order and then continuing after that. The mileage this would acrue would be the same as a real TB - point to point, but in my case might make an interesting map! My first cache was here in Devon, the next was on the Isle of Tiree, 4th was W. Sussex, 5th Guernsey - well you get the picture :unsure: (just checked, the second was actually a DNF in Corfu!).

The next step would be a suitable icon. I'm thinking a coin, possibly one 'minted' in June '04 when I logged my first. Hi Ho Hi Ho off to Ebay I go :rolleyes:

Edited by Boardslider

I was reading last night over on the TB forum about the case for having a personal TB that you just 'dip' into every cache you visit. I'm not sure I'd be too bothered about the actual mileage (i.e. returning to home between trips etc) but it struck me as an interesting idea. As a noob with only 30 or so finds, it wouldn't be too much hassle to go back over my previous finds (in order) to build up a history for my travels.

Does anyone else here use personal TB's? What do you perceive as the advantages and disavantages? Also what would you use: a standard old TB or a 'special' coin?

We have a personal TB on the 4x4. We use it as a mileage calculator and anyone can log it if they so desire. If you do a lot of caches in a day it can be a bit of a pain to keep dropping it in and retrieving it along with all the logs you add. It is just another way to play the game and it can be fun knowing someone has "clocked" you! It is amazing how far we travel just to find a plastic box LOL.

Lolly

Edited by lollybob

Surely, you need to log into a cache at, or near to, home every time after a days cacheing?

ie You start from home, go to cache A, B, then go home. Next time cacheing trip is home to cache C, D, E, F, then back home. Otherwise the TB will only record milage from cache A to B to C, D, E, and F, and not include returning home mileage? So it's not really a true mileage meter? <_<

The stats mileage on the GUK pages scare me enough, without knowing the TRUE number of miles we've travelled! :huh:

I've just found an unactivated TB of mine in my coat! It is now my personal Mileage Odometer TB and I've logged it into the first couple of caches that I found back in August 2004.

After reading KandG's comment about it not adding your return journey home, I've decided to log it in and out of the nearest cache to my home after every caching trip. The cache is only 0.5 miles from my house so the distance won't be too far out.

I've only done the first 2 caches yet and I've got a lot more to do, but it should make for interesting viewing with the Google Earth add on :ph34r: