Shoe Trees Group Forum

Hello, and welcome to the Shoe Trees group forum. If you're not a member of the group you can join here. This is the place to discuss the description of the category. Please leave any comments, and ideas here. Thanks again!

Description i've worked on a little:

Formal Name

Shoe Trees

Suggested Subcategory to

Oddities

Quick Description

A place to record shoe trees.

Category Description

A shoe tree is just that, a tree that has been slung with many pairs of shoes, and is known to the locals as a ‘Shoe Tree’. There may be hundreds of shoes, or maybe only 20, but they all could be considered ‘art’ for lack of a better word.

Currently only 77 trees are known in the United States that have at least 50 pairs, with undetermined numbers in other countries.

Please understand that shoe trees are different from shoe tossing. Shoe tossing can be considered illegal, because of the damage to power lines.

Posting New Waymark

Roadside America currently has a database of shoe trees in the United State, but new waymarks do not have to be listed here. If you find one log it! There must be a minimum of 20 pairs of shoes on the tree. Please post a picture. Take note that roadsideamerica only lists those trees with 50 pairs, or more.

Logging Requirements

If possible, post a picture with you, and your personal item (GPSr, stuffed animal, ect…) or you! Describe if there has been any change to the tree and if you added any pairs yourself!

Variables

Tree Theme (if any)

I don't really want to make a requirment on the number of pairs that the tree must have. Roadsideamerica currently only allows trees with at least 50 pairs. Maybe we should put ours at 20? Also, I will put a link to the list on roadsideamerica. Anymore variable ideas?

Edited by Dew Crew

Definitely go with DavidMac's variable, but I also say remove the theme and add one for approximate # of shoes.

Under Instructions for placing waymarks into this category, it should be a requirement for a picture of the tree. A GPSr does not need to be in the picture.

In Instructions for logging waymarks of this category, picture doesn't have to be required, but do it if you can. Also say if there have been any new pairs added and if you added any.

Definitely go with DavidMac's variable, but I also say remove the theme and add one for approximate # of shoes.

Under Instructions for placing waymarks into this category, it should be a requirement for a picture of the tree. A GPSr does not need to be in the picture.

In Instructions for logging waymarks of this category, picture doesn't have to be required, but do it if you can. Also say if there have been any new pairs added and if you added any.

I was thinking about putting a variable for approximate # of shoes, but I will still keep the theme one also. I do like DavidMac's variable as well. And I will change the 'placing waymarks' so that it is more obvious that you do need a picture of the tree.

Thanks!

Dew Crew

P.S.- What about requirement for number of pairs?

Edited by Dew Crew

20 is fine

I don't understand why you want a theme though. Do you know of many that have a theme? I just can't grasp the concept of people applying a theme to a tree through the use of shoes...

Edited by WizCreations

I like the Theme Variable, A local shoe tree near mt siaster has a holiday theme, but it needs to be optional. I also think the GPS does not need to be in the pic tp crewate a waymark. I like requiring at least 20 but I think a variable would take care of this. I like the link to Roadside Americas page regarding shoe trees. here is an interesting site that a shoe tree propagated an undearwear tree and a bra tree

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/roadside/shoetrees2.htm

another variable should be the address * required) an optional could be name the tree like Tamarak (optional( another could be a text box to describe the reason like the one at a Maryland college (whthat one is for professed loss of virginity. this box should be optional.

I like the Theme Variable, A local shoe tree near mt siaster has a holiday theme, but it needs to be optional. I also think the GPS does not need to be in the pic tp crewate a waymark. I like requiring at least 20 but I think a variable would take care of this. I like the link to Roadside Americas page regarding shoe trees. here is an interesting site that a shoe tree propagated an undearwear tree and a bra tree

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/roadside/shoetrees2.htm

another variable should be the address * required) an optional could be name the tree like Tamarak (optional( another could be a text box to describe the reason like the one at a Maryland college (whthat one is for professed loss of virginity. this box should be optional.

A lot of great ideas chstress. We still haven't heard from Hard Oiler, but I should have the description ready by tonight for officer review.

Dew Crew

Edited by Dew Crew

20 is fine

I don't understand why you want a theme though. Do you know of many that have a theme? I just can't grasp the concept of people applying a theme to a tree through the use of shoes...

Different types of shoes. Jogging, boots, high heels, ect.

another variable should be the address * required)

Nearest street name?

Edited by Dew Crew

I guess I'm a variable minimalist as I find a great long list of variables most of which are irrelevant, or which don't have the right option for the waymark I've found, to be annoying so I would keep it only to ones that are relevant to all finds - in this case the approximate number of shoes. I don't really see why the type of tree or whether it's alive is relevant and it's hard to tell in winter. Also street address - I know the coordinates so why the street address and there are a number in parks so the street address isn't too obvious.

OT maybe a thread on guidelines for variables would be appropriate and some comments from someone whi knows how variable data might be usable in the future - at the moment the only use I see is to force people to enter a required piece of information.

I guess I'm a variable minimalist as I find a great long list of variables most of which are irrelevant, or which don't have the right option for the waymark I've found, to be annoying so I would keep it only to ones that are relevant to all finds - in this case the approximate number of shoes. I don't really see why the type of tree or whether it's alive is relevant and it's hard to tell in winter. Also street address - I know the coordinates so why the street address and there are a number in parks so the street address isn't too obvious.

OT maybe a thread on guidelines for variables would be appropriate and some comments from someone whi knows how variable data might be usable in the future - at the moment the only use I see is to force people to enter a required piece of information.

We could just ask to say the things you pointed out in the description if possible. It would eliminate useless variables.

With everything posted here, this is what I'm thinking the waymark should say once created.

Name

Shoe Trees

Quick Description

A place to record shoe trees around the world.

Detailed Description

A shoe tree is just that, a tree that has been slung with many pairs of shoes. There may be hundreds of shoes, or maybe only 20, but they all could be considered ‘art’ for lack of a better word.

Please understand that shoe trees are different from shoe tossing. Shoe tossing can be considered illegal, because of the damage to power lines.

Visit Road Side America for more information on Shoe Trees.

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category

There must be at least 20 shoes on the tree. Post a picture of the tree with your waymark (GPSr does not need to be included). If you can, state whether the tree is alive or dead. Please mention the theme if there is one (such as boots or high heels only).

Instructions for logging waymarks of this category

If possible, post a picture of yourself with the tree. Describe if there has been any change to the tree and if you added any pairs yourself.

Variables

Approximate Number of Shoes

edit: let me know what you think about this and if anything should be added.

I believe this category should be created under Nature, not Oddities. It is a tree after all.

Edited by WizCreations

With everything posted here, this is what I'm thinking the waymark should say once created.

Name

Shoe Trees

Quick Description

A place to record shoe trees around the world.

Detailed Description

A shoe tree is just that, a tree that has been slung with many pairs of shoes. There may be hundreds of shoes, or maybe only 20, but they all could be considered ‘art’ for lack of a better word.

Visit Road Side America for more information on Shoe Trees.

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category

There must be at least 20 shoes on the tree. Post a picture of the tree with your waymark (GPSr does not need to be included). If you can, state whether the tree is alive or dead. Please mention the theme if there is one (such as boots or high heels only).

Instructions for logging waymarks of this category

If possible, post a picture of yourself with the tree. Describe if there has been any change to the tree and if you added any pairs yourself.

Variables

Approximate Number of Shoes

edit: let me know what you think about this and if anything should be added.

I believe this category should be created under Nature, not Oddities. It is a tree after all.

That is pretty much what I have typed up in a word document. Except I had this under the Category Description:

"Currently only 77 trees are known in the United States that have 50 pairs, with undetermined numbers in other countries."

Also if there is any reason the tree was created under the category description as well.

I feel it should be under oddities, just because it is kind of out-of-the ordinary. Groundspeak gets to decide the final place anyway.

Thanks WizCreations! I'll make a few changes and try and get this in for officer review tonight. We can always add more variables if there becomes a search function for variables. Though I think we have it covered in the description.

Dew Crew

That is pretty much what I have typed up in a word document. Except I had this under the Category Description:

"Currently only 77 trees are known in the United States that have 50 pairs, with undetermined numbers in other countries."

I don't think the "Currently 77 trees known..." should be included because it's irrelevent to Waymarking.com (seeing as it's roadside america). It also will be outdated soon enough.

What do you mean by this?

Also if there is any reason the tree was created under the category description as well.

What do you mean by this?

That if there is a reason that the tree was created, as chstress said in his post, to inlude it. Sorry for my sentence that doesn't make sense! :lol: