Can This Be Found?

Spoo

:rolleyes: I guess you do have the coordinates, so you should be able to find that pennisula. But by tank, do they mean one that holds water, or one that roams around and has detachable pieces measured in millimeters? :unsure:

I did look at the Google Maps image of the area and didn't see anthing that I could tell was a water tank. Searching for the nearest benchmarkFX0091 indicates that there is one at the base of a water tower (which the USPS could not find). The coordinates are not exactly the same, but they are very close. Maybe even close enough to be the tank sitting on top of the leg of the other one. Maybe it is findable if it is still there. But the challenge of trying to find the information needed was fun for a break at work. :)

If you look at the NGS datasheet for this mark, you will see that there actually is a description, and that it was reported as unfound in 2001. (I have no idea how the 1972 text got stripped out of the Geocaching page.)

-ArtMan-

FX3237 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

FX3237 HISTORY - 1947 FIRST OBSERVED CGS

FX3237 HISTORY - 1972 GOOD NGS

FX3237 HISTORY - 20011029 MARK NOT FOUND USPSQD

FX3237

FX3237 STATION DESCRIPTION

FX3237

FX3237'DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1972 (WGT)

FX3237'A CHECKERED RED AND WHITE WATER TANK ABOUT 125 FEET HIGH, ABOUT 200

FX3237'FEET NNW OF BUILDING W 193 AND ABOUT 75 FEET WEST OF BUILDING W

FX3237'218. ENTER MAIN GATE (GATE 2) AT HAMPTON BLVD., PROCEED NORTH

FX3237'ALONG MARYLAND AVENUE 3300 +OR - TO BUNKER HILL TAXIWAY OR TOW

FX3237'WAY, TURN WEST AND PROCEED 1600 + OR - TO TANK (DESIGNATED W-220

FX3237'ON STATION MAPS.)

FX3237

FX3237 STATION RECOVERY (2001)

FX3237

FX3237'RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 2001 (CTR)

FX3237'STATION NOT RECOVERED. THIS WATER TANK NO LONGER EXISTS.

If you mean by the paucity of description, yes, sometimes intersection stations like this can be found. Papa-Bear-NYC and I both agree that MANHATTAN NR SE CEN PK T BLDG is the Sherry-Netherlands Hotel.

Or, KV4204 was easy to find using Google Earth.

Your station, on the other hand, using Google Earth, seems to have been destroyed. What makes it more difficult to ascertain is that it seems to be in the middle of the Norfolk Naval Shop Yards, with restricted access. Oh, well.

Sorry.....I should have pointed out that I was on location and could not verify with a yes or a no.

I had not found Atrmans good description but unless someone belonging to the USPSQD works at the Navy base, I am curious how they got full reign and access a mere 40 days after 9-11.

This was a fun one.

I had not found Atrmans good description but unless someone belonging to the USPSQD works at the Navy base, I am curious how they got full reign and access a mere 40 days after 9-11.
Good question. Of course it's entirely possible that someone belonging to a boating outfit might have an association with the Navy. Also, the tank in question is described as being 125 feet tall, painted red and white. Its presence or absence might be easily verified from areas outside the Navy installation, including on the water.

-ArtMan-

My opinion is that it can't be found. A check of Google Maps, clicked from the benchmark page got me to an aerial photo that clearly shows the tank missing. While a visit would be necessary to make sure of this, I am willing to be you will find nothing at all from a distance, and very little from close up if you can get there.

If you have access and go to the ADJUSTED coordinates, what you see should be adequate to make the determination. Is there a foundation? A new building?

I'll also comment that the 2001 report is a rarity in that the USPSQD submitted actual text instead of just a Found/Not Found.