Garmin 60csx/cx Vs Vista/ventra Cx

I hope there is an expert out there that can help me make a decision.

I am ready to buy a new gps and upgrade from my Magellan 315. My Magellan has been good to me, but it is time to get to the 21st century.

I plan on using this gps for traveling. I do a lot of European traveling. I want the mapping to help me find places in strange cities at night in the rain. I want to stop getting lost looking for hotels, airports, suppliers, restaurants, and getting back to the hotels after dinner, etc

I also do a lot of RVing in my 5th wheel. I want it to help me navigate my trips in unknown cities and states.

I also, of course, plan on using it for geocaching.

I have decided to go Garmin and am torn between the following models:

60csx vs Vista cx (If I decide I need the built in compass, is it worth it??)

or the

60cx vs Venture cx (no built in compass)

If I decide I DO want a built in compass

60csx vs Vista CX

ADVANTAGES

Sirf Technology vs 12 channel

1000 waypoints vs 500

64M card vs 32M (doesn’t matter anyway because I’m going to buy the 512M or 1G card anyway)

2.2X1.5 display vs 1.7X1.3 (Is the slightly larger screen worth it!)

240X160 resolution vs 220X176

quad helix antenna vs patch (What is the difference???)

usb & serial vs usb only (I'm sure just usb is fine)

external antenna vs none

both have built in compass and altimeter

included data cable for 60 vs need to buy a data cable

DISADVANTAGES

18 hr vs 32 for vista

MSRP $535 vs $374 when you add maps both are expensive

need to buy European and USA road maps for both

60 is big, Vista is small (easily fits in a shirt pocket)

need to buy a car cable for either

If I decide I DO NOT want a built in compass

60cx vs Venture CX

ADVANTAGES

Sirf Technology vs 12 channel

1000 waypoints vs 500

64M card vs no card (doesn’t matter anyway because I’m going to buy the 512M or 1G card anyway)

2.2X1.5 display vs 1.7X1.3

240X160 resolution vs 220X176

quad helix antenna vs patch (What is the difference???)

usb & serial vs usb only

external antenna vs none

included data cable vs need to buy a data cable

DISADVANTAGES

18 hr vs 32

neither have compass or altimeter

MSRP $482 vs $267 (at $267 I can afford the maps)

need to buy European and USA road maps for both

60 is big, Vista is small (easily fits in a shirt pocket)

need to buy a car cable for either.

A salesman told me that the Etrex Venture is very map and driving cumbersome and unfriendly. The salesman says that zooming in to maps is not automatic on the Etrex as it does on the 60. Does anyone know about this? He also says the side controls is no where near as user friendly as the front rocker switch……

Please help if you can!!!

Also, has anyone bought these from suppliers such as Lake Powell Marina online. They are significantly cheaper than anyone else. Has anyone bought a gps on line and all was good?

Since you are going to be using it in a vehicle a lot, I would highly suggest the 60 series. All of the buttons are on the front of the unit and will be easier to operate while motoring.

I am impressed with the vistas though, and might consider one if I wanted a second unit to go along with my 60csx

By the time you buy all the maps you are going to need, the price difference between the units won't be all that much.

When I bought mine last week, www.gpsdiscount.com was the cheapest I could find at $406 including fed-ex shipping that got it to me in 1.5 days.

Edited by YuccaPatrol

Hi,

I have a 60cx, and have cached with a freind who has a legend cx (very similier to the venture). Both are good units, but the 60cx gets noticibly better reception under cover (trees, downtown minneapolis, etc). The 60cx is a bit big to put in a pocket, but it comes with a belt/pocket clip identical to the ipod, and it works very well. I use that on bike rides until I pick up the bike mount, when I hike in the boonies, etc. It keeps the antannae pointing up which for this type (quad helix) is better than horizontal. I use it with autonav too, and the bigger screen helps a bit (though the legend is perfectly usable).

I don't have the compass, and for the most part don't miss it. The only time I do (slightly) is out caching when I stop moving, but turn without noting my oreintation first (it will still point to the cache). Plus the compass is a 2 axis, which means it has to be horziontal, but the quad helix gets best reception vertical. A freind on the other hand has a unit with a compass, and swears by it. Personal taste I guess.

I got mine at gpsdiscount.com, $488 with the autonav kit (not sure what it is now). this included the beanbag mount (surprisingly stable), dash mount, city select 7 dvd, power cable. I use the autoroute a lot, and it is really addictive once you start using it.

When we went to visit inlaws up in northern wisconson in the boonies, I got killer reception, even in areas where the only sky you can see is over the road in between the pines, and it had all the roads, so I could take shorter/faster paths than I would without the unit (too easy to get lost up there, so until I had a gps, I didn't go on any road that I wasn't 100 percent postive about).

I think no matter what unit you choose you will be happy. they are all good units. when you figure it out, post your decision.

HTH a bit!

EDIT:

Good point on the buttons on the front. My friend with the legend does complain a bit about the buttons on the side with respect to autonavigation.

Edit part deux.

Just checked gpsdiscount.com, still $488 for the 60cx with the autonav kit, which is a pretty good price considering the autonav kit is usually around 115 or 120.

Edited by drbugs

ok, I'm just scatter brained today. The external antannae may be useful in a 5th wheel. I'm not sure how all the metal would affect reception. You can get some nice amplified antannaes that you can mount on top of the vehicle so you get great reception.

I have a VistaC and I use it for both vehicle and caching use. I bought a RAM vacuum mount which puts it in just the right spot in the car. The light can sometimes be a problem when the reflections are bad but it is otherwise quite useable even for the small size.

I turn on the compass when caching and find it invaluable. When travelling it reverts to the "movement" heading but if I'm on the road I don't really care what direction I am heading because I really need to follow the road I am on or people will complain! If I'm walking through the park then I need the electronic compass to tell me what hill I need to climb.

Bill W

Welcome to the Groundspeak forum! :)

I too recently had to decide on a new gps.

I got the GPSMAP 60CSx and a 1GB microSD/Transflash card to go with it.

It is an awesome unit! Amazon.com has them for $404 right now. And you should easily be able to find a 1GB card for $50 or less.

If you decide to go with a unit without a compass it's an easy (and cheaper) fix to just buy a regular one for $10. You'll just have to remember to carry it with you along with the gps. :unsure:

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy either unit.

BTW, did I mention I Love my GPSMAP 60CSx?!? :rolleyes:

It seems the simple answer is to define your dollar amount and form factor.

How much do you really wnat to spend?

Is the compact design of the Vista Cx better for you or do you want the bigger screen on the 60CSx.

They both do a great job and are very accurate.

I like the compact size of the Vista Cx I have used it un an Oak grove and still got very accurate readings (it zeroed out within feet of the cache under the canopy of a huge tree.

Had money been no object I probably would have still bought the Vista.

I have the 60Cx.

You do want to go sirF III.

For your RV you do not want to use the small screen. But your USB cable hooks right up to your laptop you can use Garmins free nRoute software. You must purchase the maps. But you will have them for your handheald and laptop.

I have a I.Trek bluetooth power Cable, so I can use it with any Bluetooth Device. IE PDA.

Larry L

The buttons on the 60's are much easier to use while driving than those on a Vista. And so far I have not found a need for an exturnal antenna while driving with my 60CSX or even a 60CS. With the SiRF lll I have yet to lose reception while out side. The Vista does not have SiRF. To me the SiRF lll is worth the money.

Thanks for all of the input.

I think timk54 got me thinkin'. Decide your price and form factor.

I borrowed a Vista and a 60C from a friend this weekend.

With my bad eyes, I had a hard time seeing the Vista screen detail at night.

Granted, the Vista i borrowed was not color but I can't imagine color makes that much difference as far as size goes.

I also did not like the left handed operation of the vista. I still like operating my GPS with my right hand.

Also, not having the manuals, it was much easier to figure out how to operate and navigate through the menues on the 60 vs the vista.

Although the 60 is a lot heavier than the Vista.

So ................... with all data in................my vote will be the 60csx. GPSdiscount has it for $399.

Does anyone know of a a good place to buy a 2G micro SD card.

I will have to save up for the maps.

Also, is there a difference between the mini and the micro SD. Or are they one in the same.

Outpost.com has a 2G mini for $69. Is that usable in the 60CSX.

Thanks for all of the help

With my bad eyes, I had a hard time seeing the Vista screen detail at night.

Granted, the Vista i borrowed was not color but I can't imagine color makes that much difference as far as size goes.

Color makes a HUGE difference.

My wife and I upgraded from a B&W Legend to a Legend Cx and finally have what we are looking for in a GPSr. The difference is amazing. I know you're not looking at a Legend Cx but we love ours.

The finance controller won't let me get a 60Cx although I am not sure SiRF is worth ~$200 to me.

I hope this helps you.

PS. Don't forget you have to add the maps at ~$100

PSS. Our Legend Cxs came with 64M cards. I would expect the Vista to be the same. We upgraded to 256M

Just ordered the 60CSX from Amazon tonight! Can't wait until it gets here!!

Amazon.com $404 plus $11 extra shipping for 2nd day delivery.

Hope to have it to do some geocaching this weekend!

Anyone know where the best place is to get the 1G micro memory card?

I'd say the same place you bought your GPSr :unsure:

I bought mine at Fry's Outpost.com, but I don't see them listed there now.