Delete A Dnf?

Gila

Team_Talisman will not delete a DNF, even after we find it...

We use DNFs as a remember. It hones our skills to cache. We we have a pow wow, to see where we went wrong in the search. Then back out to find. Once we find we look back to reflect and prepare ourself better for the next cache hunt...

We are not sorry to say we goofed.....on the net. Log it and leave it logged and learn from it...

Dave from Team_talisman

If you DNF on a certain day, then you DNF ed on that day. If you came back later, and did find it, then you have shown that you don't give up so easily. Personally, those 'recovered' DNFs are a bit more tasty than those I found on the first attempt. Each attempt deserves it's log, however, I usually don't log more than one DNF, but will mention that I visited XX number of times before finding it, when I finally do.

I log DNF's, because there is usually some kind of stupid reason I had to. Like I forgot to take the GPS along when I decided at the last minute to find an elusive cache I missed once already! That would be 2 !! DNF's for me before finding that blasted thing! I like to tell people exactly how bad at this I am because then I can fall back on my natural blonde haircolor and cock my head off to one side and say, "Omigosh! I don't understand how I could have missed it...again!"

And yes, I am a blonde, and no, I am usually only a DUMB blonde when it works to my advantage.

Seriously, I like to come back in with a "FINALLY!!!" when I DO find it!

I keep a Bookmark list of my DNF's (Not public of course) but I like to see at a glance if they are still active/ disabled/ archived, and some of them I find later, and some are found by others. I'm more than happy to log a DNF as it helps the cache owner determine difficulty, and if it needs maintenance.

maybe im just weird but i dont really log DNFs. instead when i do find the cache i mention how many time i failed before doing the happy dance. so due to my method of madness i dont really get to delete DNFs

What if you look two or three times and do not find it, yet do not log your DNFs?

The cache owner does not know there may be a problem, like the cache is missing, and other cachers do not know there may be issues with the cache.

There is no shame in logging a DNF. The info gained from someone's not found log far outweighs the reasons for not logging it.

Think about it this way: if you were reading a cache page, wouldn't you like to know that the last 5 people could not find? You could use that info to decide if you want to look for it, and the owner needs to have this info to check to see if the cache is still there.

If those 5 people were the type who don't log DNF's, this information would be lost to both the owner and those looking for it.

Do not delete or modify your previous DNF's; they are a legitimate part of the cache history. On the day you posted that DNF you in fact Did Not Find the cache, simple.

Please do post your DNF's, cache owners and following seekers will find that info helpful.

I posted 4 DNF's last Sunday; turns out three of the containers were MIA. If I waited until I found the cache to mention in my found log that I had been there before with no luck, the cache owner wouldn't know to check on and replace the container. And even worse IMO is the cacher behind me would be looking for something that wasn't even there to find because I was too _______ (insert own adjective here) to post the DNF. I posted two Did Not Seek notes as well; the cache may or may not have been there, but there was too much activity at ground zero for me to even think about looking for it.

I'm fortunate to live somewhere with great cache density and variety, and cannot keep up with the new hides at all anymore. When I go out for some caches, I have options, and will most likely not even slow down for one that has five DNF's in a row with no reaction from the cache owner. But that is a conversation for another thread.

If those 5 people were the type who don't log DNF's, this information would be lost to both the owner and those looking for it.

Ditto!.......after how many DNF logs though, would you like to see a note from the owner? Please do post DNFs, as a hider they let me know if I need to check out that cache or better yet, as a finder, they let me know that I hid my last find properly and it wasn't muggled.

dm

I log DNF's, because there is usually some kind of stupid reason I had to. Like I forgot to take the GPS along

Yes.. I use that excuse nearly every time I DNF :lol:

In case you don't know, edscott geocaches with a compass and a map only! As an orienteer, he finds his caches by doing research and planning, then hiking out and searching. All those who live in south central PA admire his ability and skill!

Personally, I log my DNFs and then put the cache on my "watch list" to see how others fare hunting it in the future. If someone finds it after me, it's my bad. If not, I'll know when it has been fixed and can then take it off my "ignore" list

maybe im just weird but i dont really log DNFs. instead when i do find the cache i mention how many time i failed before doing the happy dance. so due to my method of madness i dont really get to delete DNFs

I think a log (majority?) of cachers do this. I run across "took three tries" kind of logs all the time with no DNFs posted.

One of my caches was recently archived due to the strange behavior of some non-DNF logging cachers. The cache, for I knew, was in fine shape... no reported problems. Then on one day (within several minutes) a cache logged two DNF and an SBA for my cache, saying that they had attempted the cache numerous times and that clearly there was a problem. The SBA noted that the cachers rarely log DNFs, but for this cache they felt it was necessary.

The DNFs were back-dated a couple of weeks and the SBA was dated for the current date (Again, all logs posted within minutes of each other). Soon after, the local reviewer read the SBA and the seemingly ignored DNFs and archived the cache, suggesting I check on my cache.

The cache was checked, and despite my thoughts, it was still fine. Always had been. I emailed the cachers and asked why they hadn't logged their DNFs if they'd attempted the cache before... that there's no way I could confirm or resolve a problem if I don't know about it. They responded, but didn't address that question.

So... in that vein, I ask that you log your DNFs. Not only is it helpful to a cache owner, but it's also gratifying to a cache owner to know that someone is out there trying. A DNF shows interest, at the very least.

Jamie

The way I figure it, I always log a DNF and never delete them. If I drive to the cache spot, get out of my car and look, and not find it, I will log a dnf, now if there are a ton of people around and I can't get a good search in, I will note that as well, if I'm having a bad day and not finding much at all I will note that my geosense seems to be off today. It also enables me to go back and look and ask myself how I missed something like that.

I am still a bit new to the game, but I am having a blast, and as I learn more, I am going to be doing some very evil hides and have a bunch ready to go now, just need a good day off to go out and place some of them.