Ammo Can

Today I went out looking around town for an Ammo can, so that I can begin to collect things for my first cache. Well after going to three antique stores, i came across one.( no army stores here) The old lady in the store sold me the ammo can for 20 bucks. I was freakin. I went to walmart a couple days back and bought a plastic tupperware container for 3 bucks. So I was thinking this ammo can would be maybe 5 dollars. So here I am with a $20 dollar ammo can. Is this the price that they are running elsewhere? If I want to hide anymore cache's I will have to look into other weather proof containers.

thanks.

I may be inexperienced at cache but I am experienced at getting lost. :D

You did pay way too much. Something in the $5 to $10 range is more like it, depending on the size (ammo boxes comes in a variety of sizes).

I have not found any local source, but there are a variety of mail order places that sell them. A Google search should find you a number of choices.

By the way, I've found the ammo boxes to be well worth it. I've placed 6 caches and all but the most recent were originally placed in plastic tupperware type containers, and every one of them got wet inside. Either the plastic eventually cracks or otherwise fails, or more often people just don't close them properly. Ammo boxes tend to get sealed much better.

Today I went out looking around town for an Ammo can, so that I can begin to collect things for my first cache. Well after going to three antique stores, i came across one.( no army stores here) The old lady in the store sold me the ammo can for 20 bucks. I was freakin. I went to walmart a couple days back and bought a plastic tupperware container for 3 bucks. So I was thinking this ammo can would be maybe 5 dollars. So here I am with a $20 dollar ammo can. Is this the price that they are running elsewhere? If I want to hide anymore cache's I will have to look into other weather proof containers.

thanks.

I may be inexperienced at cache but I am experienced at getting lost. :D

Check out Ebay. You can get them for $5.00 at times, or $2.50 each if you buy them by the case. Just type in Ammo box in Search.

You may also do a search in here. I know that there were a number of posts on the subject.

Good luck, and $20.00, way to much, unless it was used during the civil wars. :D

It sounded like to much but hey the first time always hurts. Like the first time I went to a wildland fire and first cache. I came out all scratched up and bruised. You learn from experience.

Diffenetly will do the search for ammo cans on ebay. thanks for the advice.

I may be inexperienced at buying ammo cans but let me shop for shoes. :rolleyes:

... Is this the price that they are running elsewhere? If I want to hide anymore cache's I will have to look into other weather proof containers.

Usually its more like $3-$8 depending on size condition location maybe shipping etc.

Do you by chance happen to know how old the ammo can you bought is? The only smaller (30cal and 50cal) ones I've seen for $20 were old (and junky) WWII era ones. (does your can happen to have rivets on the lid instead of spot welds?)

Ammo cans around here are $3 and $7 each. $20 does seem a bit steep. Maybe you can buy a trunkload and set up just down the street at $15 a can?

HASELOFF'S ARMY SURPLUS. 374 HWY 51 RIDGELAND, MS 39157 PH: 601-856-5364

and you might try this link and see which one of the surplus stores among those sporting good stores is close to you.

http://www.pmcammo.com/dealers/Mississippi.php

I live is Idaho Falls and plan on trying to find the Army Surlus Warehouse this weekend. It used to be downtown but they moved it a couple of years ago. I see it everytime I drive South on I-15 however I'm not quite sure how to get there.

Good thing you can drive there. It would cost $8.68 to ship one ammo can from them via UPS.

I live is Idaho Falls and plan on trying to find the Army Surlus Warehouse this weekend. It used to be downtown but they moved it a couple of years ago. I see it everytime I drive South on I-15 however I'm not quite sure how to get there.

Good thing you can drive there. It would cost $8.68 to ship one ammo can from them via UPS.

I guess so. It will cost me a lot less to just drive there then that. That's actually more for shipping then it is for the ammo can.

When you drive south on I-15 and you see the building take that exit. It's off of the frontage road.

thanks.

I may be inexperienced at cache but I am experienced at getting lost. <_<

They're a lot more expensive when they're full of ammo... :lol:

Keep your eyes open for deals, Dillon Precision's store (not the catalog) has near-new boxes at 3 for $10.

My only complaint about ammo cans is that they dont get painted. It really isn't that much extra effort to get a can of olive drab and cover over the military info or you can get as elaborate as you wish. A couple of the land managers I've spoken with have made this a requirement for any cans placed.

My only complaint about ammo cans is that they dont get painted. It really isn't that much extra effort to get a can of olive drab and cover over the military info or you can get as elaborate as you wish. A couple of the land managers I've spoken with have made this a requirement for any cans placed.

Uhh... What is the point of that? I mean if you want to paint it, cool. But to require it? What is the problem with the military markings? Its just ammo.

Mark.

Not everyone does that, I've covered the military markings on every ammo can I've put out, most often I cover them with camo tape and then add more camo with Paint pens. My last ammo can I put a hand-painted geocaching.com logo on the lid. I've seen a lot that were just thrown out as is, but you'll never see one of my ammo cans like that. I also put the cache name and info on the inside of the lid of all my ammo cans.

I always paint my cans and top it off with a custom Geo-cache decal. I only have two caches though.

Edited by Team Hassnander