Old Caches Rock!

Lately I've become obsessed with old caches. When I am looking at an area and can only do a certain amount of caches there, I will choose the old ones everytime. Two days ago, I found "Tulsa Cache" in Tulsa (duh) which was placed in 2001. Somehow I find it amazing that the old ones can hang around. It usually means they were WELL hidden in the first place, which makes for a good hunt.

What I find amazing is that so many people back in the day hid caches on vacation or whatever, then never logged onto the site anymore. They would be amazed today to see how successful their caches have been.

Are any of you interested in old caches, or do you mainly keep up with the new hides?

:: reads message, then takes off glasses, wipes them and rereads title again ::

Durn.

I thought the title read Old Cachers Rock!

I was going to respond with a subtle..............."So - how YOU doin'?". :D

Then I looked at Muskrat's profile. :D:D

No offense meant, but I don't think I'm going to say that now. :D

Lately I've become obsessed with old caches. When I am looking at an area and can only do a certain amount of caches there, I will choose the old ones everytime. Two days ago, I found "Tulsa Cache" in Tulsa (duh) which was placed in 2001. Somehow I find it amazing that the old ones can hang around. It usually means they were WELL hidden in the first place, which makes for a good hunt.

What I find amazing is that so many people back in the day hid caches on vacation or whatever, then never logged onto the site anymore. They would be amazed today to see how successful their caches have been.

Are any of you interested in old caches, or do you mainly keep up with the new hides?

Completely obsessed with them! Just found one Saturday, the 1,577th cache in the world, placed early April 2001, just outside of Rochester, N.Y. And yes, I too have always noted how so many of them were "vacation caches", and that many (if not most) were placed by people who've long since disappeared from the hobby.

But of course I'm a confirmed anti-micro extremist. I don't know how many other people notice or even care whether a hide is old school or not.

We recently did GC4E0, which was placed in central Alberta in February 2001, at the top of a hill. It has been found quite a few times over the years by muggles, but they've always left it intact. A hunter even left a pair of binoculars in the cache so future cachers could enjoy the view! It was kind of cool finding a cache that has been there that long.

They don't make 'em like they used to.

We talked about this very thing while caching today... even when the old caches are removed... no one puts in a new one near where it was.

And why?

The only reasons we could come up with is either

"Well that spot belongs to so-and-so, cause they had a cache there" (People that have been around a while)

or

"People don't like those kinds of placements" (People that started recently and think that Roadside Caches are actually how it is done)

I've pulled out 20 or so of my old caches... I might put new ones back in those spots, just to get people to walk more than 50 yards to get a cache.

:D The Blue Quasar

I've been watching the oldest cache east of the Mississippi since January when I started caching as it's 5 1/2 miles from my home. GC39

I'm saving it for summer. I know the area and also know a short cut to the cache site but in the spirit of this hobby I'm going to do it the way it was intended and take the long hike in. That may mean getting a bit wet so July looks like my time to go for it.

Slightly off topic, but in reference to The Jester's idea of doing an oldest caches challenge, the latest version of the guidelines pretty much eliminates the "email me for coords" option. If you're planning something like the DeLorme Challenges, better get with your local reviewer before you get a lot of effort into it.

ganlet, look at the cache list for your state - then jump to the last page. They're in published order.

thank you for that, but my question was more for the oldest active cache period not within a certain state or even country (although i would assume it to be in the US)

actually too complicated it how would one find the most logged cache.

sry im off topic

Edited by ganlet

We love doing the old or "original" caches, it seems that they were placed with more zest and adventure than the current crop...and about 1/2 a year ago we came up with the idea of also hunting for "old" or "original" caches that are now archived caches. I forget how we even came up with the idea, but we've discovered that many caches that have been mothballed or listed as "missing" are actually still there. Of course you can't log a "find" on archived caches anymore so your "find" list is artificially lower than it actually should be. Also you can't directly "view" archived caches on the website. They won't show up on the maps or zipcodes. You need to look at the profile of an "old-school" cacher who's been around awhile and then scroll thru' all their finds, only then will you see the hidden "archived" caches. It's a great way to rescue TravelBugs listed as missing-in-action!

I like finding older caches too and have a bookmark list of the ones that I've found from 2000 & 2001. I'm gonna go against the grain tho and say that other than their age nothing else much distinguishes them from many other caches I've found. Some are not even close to as good as a lot of caches placed within the past year. Just my opinion of course, yours may vary.

I like finding older caches too and have a bookmark list of the ones that I've found from 2000 & 2001. I'm gonna go against the grain tho and say that other than their age nothing else much distinguishes them from many other caches I've found. Some are not even close to as good as a lot of caches placed within the past year. Just my opinion of course, yours may vary.

I think this is more a testament to who hid the cache instead of its age. A good example would be comparing the locations of the former oldest active cache in California (GC78) and the re-enabled one (GC5F).

Like others on this thread, I like visiting old caches, too. :rolleyes:

I like old caches too and I plan to make an effort to find more of them.

I have logged two placed in 2000, Gorilla Stash which is the oldest cache in Arkansas and Melbourne's First which was the first cache placed in Victoria, Austalia. I think it is now the oldest regular cache still active down there.

I ran some pocket queries for old caches recently and discovered that the oldest active one in the USA, Mingo is in northwestern Kansas, an easy day's drive from me. There's another May 2000 one out there too. I think our annual summer trip to Colorado will be routed via Kansas this year.

NevaP, an old cacher who uses her real name.

I agree...

the older caches just seemed to have a little something that most newer caches don't. No need to go into that here. <_<

I have been planning on reviving a few of the old archived caches in my area that I thought were good solid caches. All except one that I have chosen can be replaced in the same spot without interference from another cache.

We've hunted for maybe 20 archived caches so far (I'm guessing, we've never bothered to keep track) and only about 5 were DNF's. So far most have been archived caches by a since-retired cacher named Anton, he was one of the first cachers in our area and had close to 70 in the field when he "retired". As for logging Finds on archived caches, hmmm...we were able to log a few just before January, then after Jan. a message would pop up saying "This feature disabled on Archived Caches" so I gave up. But I just tried it again for giggles and it seems you can once again log or post onto archived caches! hmmmm...?

As for logging Finds on archived caches, hmmm...we were able to log a few just before January, then after Jan. a message would pop up saying "This feature disabled on Archived Caches" so I gave up. But I just tried it again for giggles and it seems you can once again log or post onto archived caches! hmmmm...?

Locationless caches were archived AND locked 01/01/2006. I just experimented a bit and it appears that archived regular caches will still take a log.

Slightly off topic, but in reference to The Jester's idea of doing an oldest caches challenge, the latest version of the guidelines pretty much eliminates the "email me for coords" option. If you're planning something like the DeLorme Challenges, better get with your local reviewer before you get a lot of effort into it.

Yep.

Trust me. :)