Garmin Mapsource Metroguide?

I am looking at Mapsource Metroguide for my Garmin Legend. We are traveling this summer and I will be loading it on my laptop. My question is- Is it a good trip software? We have an ancient outdated version of Tripmaker that we love for planning trips but it is very old. I was just wondering how the Metroguide will work for us. So far I haven't 'needed' it for geocaching but it would be nice, but I don't want to plunk down a big chunk of change unless it will work well for our other needs as well.

Yes your computer will auto route even without an mapping gps. I don't believe the metro software will autoroute on your laptop. You will need City Select or City Navigator. I use City Select on my laptop with a gps 18 and my 60 csx. It works pretty well. I am very pleased with the software and gps. I hope this helps you. The extra money for the software will be well spent if you travel alot. The autorouting and recalculating is quick and nice.

But it will autoroute on the laptop, and then you can upload the route to the GPSr.

Will it auto route on the laptop even without an auto routing GPSr?

Version 7 features include:

Maps contain full coverage throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, including metropolitan and rural coverage

Now with verified coverage for Alaska

Includes detailed maps containing highways, interstates, business and residential roads with attributes such as turn restrictions, speed categories and other navigation features

Nearly 6 million points of interest such as:

food and drink

lodging

attractions

entertainment

shopping

emergency services

post offices

camp grounds

movie theaters and more

Will automatically create point-to-point routes in MapSource on the PC

Supplemental coverage of Hawaii provided using unverified governmental sources

Trip and waypoint management feature lets you transfer waypoints, routes and tracks between your Garmin GPS and your PC**

Thanks for the help so far.

I think with the Legend, the City Select does not work- only metroguide, but it does look like v. 7 does do autorouting on the computer. What exactly is autorouting? Is it just the ability to enter a start and end point and have it come up with the best way to get there? The other versions do not have this?

Autorouting is the ability to determine a "driving" route based on the available mapping program to provide turn by turn instructions to get from one waypoint to another waypoint. The GPS serves as the antenna for the program in the laptop. Most all newer GPSs with add in mapping will autoroute (not metroguide) to the level of their internal maps. If you have base maps then only base map roads will be used to autoroute. As said .... Metroguide on the laptop with nRoute will autoroute .... because the laptop program has that feature where the GPS does not.

Our Map60C with City Select N/A will autoroute and give text turn directions .... the laptop will autoroute also and will give audible voice commands for the turns ..... which is cool on long trips. <_< ImpalaBob