Going Over Seas

I'm FAR from an expert, but here's my take:

The satellites fly over all the world, so your GPSr will work just about anywhere it can see the sky. My Etrex Legend came with a basemap of North American roads, so that part probably depends on what part of the world you buy it in. Just make sure that you can get a basemap of where you're going that's compatible with your GPSr before you lay down the cash.

Are GPS configured to parts of the world Like N America , S America, Europe, Asia Etc. or will they all work whereever you go.

Yes GPS receivers work world-wide. The only drawback is finding decent maps for the countries you will be visiting. Garmin has come out with pre-programmed MicroSD cards which you can read about here. These would be used in the new Garmin 'x' series units. (note that prices shown are Cdn$$) A little pricey but would sure make a trip more enjoyable.

Cheers, Olar

I have successfully travelled with my Magellan 315 by air to the Caribbean and Europe, from Canada. An important tip is to loosen the screw(s) on the back of the watertight units, so as to allow for the pressure imbalance onboard an aircraft. Once having arrived at your destination, give the unit a bit of extra time to "find" where you are, and to provide an accurate reading. I did not have to perform a "reset" of any kind during my travels, just be patient. As my unit does not have sophisticated mapping, I can not speak to the commercial mapping software, only to the fact that the 315 comes with European cities loaded.

I have successfully travelled with my Magellan 315 by air to the Caribbean and Europe, from Canada. An important tip is to loosen the screw(s) on the back of the watertight units, so as to allow for the pressure imbalance onboard an aircraft. Once having arrived at your destination, give the unit a bit of extra time to "find" where you are, and to provide an accurate reading. I did not have to perform a "reset" of any kind during my travels, just be patient. As my unit does not have sophisticated mapping, I can not speak to the commercial mapping software, only to the fact that the 315 comes with European cities loaded.

Do you also 'loosen' the crystal on your water proof watch? :unsure::rolleyes::)

For certain Magellan N. America units going to Europe, you purchase their Worldwide Base Map cd and load the basemap for the area(s) that you will be visiting. You then purchase directroute europe for the detail maps and off you go. I believe that there are also European versions of streets and trips, not positive. ebay perhaps? :rolleyes:

Edited by Team Cotati

I have successfully travelled with my Magellan 315 by air to the Caribbean and Europe, from Canada. An important tip is to loosen the screw(s) on the back of the watertight units, so as to allow for the pressure imbalance onboard an aircraft.

Think about that statement for just a couple minutes....

The air pressure in a modern airliner is roughly equal to ambient pressure at 8000 feet (per FAA regs). The pressure drop isn't fast or dramatic enough to affect the internals in any measurable way. If the cabin ruptures, the sudden pressure change will affect a whole lot more than the GPS, and it wouldn't even be on the list of things I'd be worried about.

Once having arrived at your destination, give the unit a bit of extra time to "find" where you are, and to provide an accurate reading. I did not have to perform a "reset" of any kind during my travels, just be patient. As my unit does not have sophisticated mapping, I can not speak to the commercial mapping software, only to the fact that the 315 comes with European cities loaded.

The waiting comes from the unit having to aquire a local almanac. If you leave the GPS on and recieving signal during the flight, the almanac update will happen gradually as new satellites come into view. Garmin's mapping units come with one of several basemaps pre-installed. For anything more than a blank screen in an area not covered by the basemap, a detailed product will have to be installed.

I have the explorist 600, it been to keywest,cozumel, grand caymens,jamica. no worries,

once there give it about 5-10 minutes to find it self. I used mine on the deck of a cruise ship, very nice watching speed,etc.. in knots.

as others have said the maps are the hardest to find. worldwide cd for magellan is ok I've heard.but don't expect the detail america has. look for custom ones online by people.

Edited by flir67

I have the explorist 600, it been to keywest,cozumel, grand caymens,jamica. no worries,

once there give it about 5-10 minutes to find it self. I used mine on the deck of a cruise ship, very nice watching speed,etc.. in knots.

as others have said the maps are the hardest to find. worldwide cd for magellan is ok I've heard.but don't expect the detail america has. look for custom ones online by people.

Do you have any links to these custom privately created Magellan basemaps?