Predictable

The Financial Times claims the EU may be forced to operate the Galileo constellation with fewer than the currently proposed 30 satellites.

The FT quotes Philippe Busquin, a former European research commissioner who now oversees the Galileo project as a member of the European Parliament as saying: 'It's not clear that we really need 30 satellites. We could certainly make Galileo a success with 24 or 25.'

Jack Metthey, a director handling research in the European Commission, also describes the Galileo budget situation as 'very, very tight', adding: 'Having less satellites would certainly help address the money issue.''

However, it is acknowledged that a reduction in the number of satellites could undermine the quality of the system, by reducing coverage and precision, two of Galileo's trump cards as a 21st-Century constellation.

Which GPS systems will this be compatible with, if/once launched ???

How would for instance a Garmin/Magellan differentiate between current satellites & the new ones ???

All current and future GPSr's will receive the signals from both systems with no problems. What you will find is that there is better satellite coverage, and the WAAS enabled models will show a even better accuracy here in the UK. Each satellite has its own ID No.

Dave

The Financial Times claims the EU may be forced to operate the Galileo constellation with fewer than the currently proposed 30 satellites.

The FT quotes Philippe Busquin, a former European research commissioner who now oversees the Galileo project as a member of the European Parliament as saying: 'It's not clear that we really need 30 satellites. We could certainly make Galileo a success with 24 or 25.'

Jack Metthey, a director handling research in the European Commission, also describes the Galileo budget situation as 'very, very tight', adding: 'Having less satellites would certainly help address the money issue.''

However, it is acknowledged that a reduction in the number of satellites could undermine the quality of the system, by reducing coverage and precision, two of Galileo's trump cards as a 21st-Century constellation.

I'm a little puzzled by this as over two thirds of the budget is, from my research, being contributed by private companies and investors and therefore is presumably outside the scope of the beurocrats in the EU.

All current and future GPSr's will receive the signals from both systems with no problems.

From what I'm reading, only future receivers will be enabled to receive signals from both. Current GPSrs would be blind to Galileo. However, this is just from what I have read so I may be misinformed here. The US system and Galileo will be compatible as in work together but I believe to take advantage of this you would require a suitablly enabled GPSr.

Edited by Team Maddie UK

Mandy Galileo will generate signals exactly the same as the current US satellites, the corrections satellites will operate in a different way to the current ones enabling better accuracy correction signals to be sent. To receive sum metre signals from Galileo will involve both different equipment and a subscription to premium services which will be of no use for geocaching.

Dave