Just Purchased A Gps

:laughing: OK, I finally got my money saved up and so I have just ordered a GPS from Tiger GPS. After reading this forum for many hours, debating, going back and forth, yada, yada, yada-i finally made up my mind which unit to buy.

I was really attracted to the Mag 210. I did not end up purchasing that unit as I felt it might be limiting in the end. I wanted something that would last me for years and be able to "exand" as my skills grow in using the gps unit. I have previously owned a Mag Sport Trak Pro but sold it.

I was also really attracted to the Meridian series as I could enlarge on the memory use with SD card. But in the end, felt even though this seemed like a good product, it is a "fading" product with Mag and did not want to get stuck out with a outdated product five years down the road.

When I came to that conclusion, I purchased a Magellan Explorist XL. Thanks everyone for the help and feedback. I will continue to draw from all your valuable help in the time ahead.

See you on the trail. -SunnyWalker :anibad:

I received the Magellan eXplorist XL last night. I am very pleased with this product. It is a fabulous thing to work with. It was so easy to download geocache pts and create files for them on this product. I have downloaded several for my area to create four different files for now. The process of using this unit was somewhat familiar as I had a SporTrak Pro before. Anyway, it is pretty neat and I am very pleased with it. I will add an SD card next month, and Topo and etc.

But what a pleasure to see a color screen. And the menus and all are very intuitive and easy to proceed through. It does weigh some but I have made compensations in my pack weight before this so feel I can manage that ok.

It is easier to read the color map outside. When I had my SporTrak it was sometimes hard to distinguish the lines from one another as there was no color.

-SunnyWalker :blink:

I am continuing to find Geocache sites with my new XL. Also getting ready to release a TB. This is fun and the XL is a great piece of high tech. Wow. You can use that color screen and come down to withing 100 feet of the coordinates. Can't wait to get the Topo. The two abilities combined will be really exciting.

-SunnyWalker :rolleyes:

I just used my XL today for the first time on cache. I has been using a Garmin 12 channel for years. I was surprised when I got close enough to the cache and it went from tenths of a mile to feet. I was hoping the XL would be one that I didn't regret buying and so far no regrets.

Yeah, I found some more geocache sites again this week. It sure performs well and I like it. So far I have not purchase a map Topo or SD card but works just fine and all. I am looking at SD cards at Wal-Mart. Did someone say that if you bought an SD card from Wal-Mart or etc., that you need something else to prepare it or something before you put in in the XL?

-SunnyWalker <_<

I am looking at SD cards at Wal-Mart. Did someone say that if you bought an SD card from Wal-Mart or etc., that you need something else to prepare it or something before you put in in the XL?

-SunnyWalker :(

I got my SD at bestbuy, all I did was insert it into the XL and have the XL format it. The uploaded my maps.

I received an eXplorist XL as a present, and have just started playing with it. However, I'm a little confused and perhaps someone can explain this to me. I've got an SD card in it (1 GB size), and so memory is really not an issue at the moment. However, it was suggested that the unit can only "load" 200 geocaches at a time into memory. Thus, if you hit the "goto" button, and scroll to the geocache list, only 200 caches will come up (even if you've got 4000 caches in the file you're using). Is this true?

Also, can someone explain the different filetypes it uses to me?

Thanks!

I received an eXplorist XL as a present, and have just started playing with it. However, I'm a little confused and perhaps someone can explain this to me. I've got an SD card in it (1 GB size), and so memory is really not an issue at the moment. However, it was suggested that the unit can only "load" 200 geocaches at a time into memory. Thus, if you hit the "goto" button, and scroll to the geocache list, only 200 caches will come up (even if you've got 4000 caches in the file you're using). Is this true?

Also, can someone explain the different filetypes it uses to me?

Regular POI files have a .upt ending. They can have up to 500 POIs per file, although only 200 of those POIs can have comments.

Geocaching POIs end in .gs. They have a special file structure allowing for more data per POI, but only 200 per file. Even though you send 4000 POIs over, only 200 will be recorded at the receiving end.

So...you need to limit your regular POIs and geocaching POIs to stay within those limits. You can have as many files as you want on the card...therefore having virtually unlimited POI storage...but you can only activate one regular POI and one geocaching POI at a time.

Just purchased the eXplorist XL two and a half hours ago, and already done a bit with it, and even loaded the geocaches in it already. I ended up using the 64 meg microSD memory card from the Map60Cx, using the SD memory adaptor in the eXplorist XL. This thing has alot more function than the Meridian Platinum that I sold, and it has a much larger screen than the Map60Cx, and the screen size, is why I bought the eXplorist XL today at REI. I got it at $399.99, but was able to knock it down $31.64. I might get either a 1 or 2 gig card, but don't know yet.

The XL continues to perform! I ahve not had memory "issues" yet but wonder with the memory so large in it? I am still have not got the topo yet but am looking.

Does anyone know about Nat'l Geo map topo? Will it work in the XL with no probs?

I finding Geocaches sites each week and having fun. The unit works very fine and I am glad to have it.

To the last post, I will check out that site you suggested about SD cards.

-SunnyWalker

Only Mapsend software will work, and only the maps that convert to *.IMI files on the eXplorist units. There is no majic bullet yet that can convert mapping to the eXplorist *.IMI format yet. To do this requires a Garmin and alot of hard work to grab mapping from online and compile it to something that is compatible with Garmin Mapsource, and that is not easy.

I had bought the full version of Mapsend TOPO 3D DVD edition, but now got no money for even a Giggle of memory, let alone 2 giggles of SD Memory.

- - - - - - -

I'm having an issue with the Michigan region off of the TOPO 3D DVD, and it does work for Detroit, but when I select the Michigan Map on the 64meg memory card, it says Invalid map, and I had tried to recompile a new map a couple more times, so I know there is an error somewhere in michigan. HAS anybody found an error in the Michigan area on their TOPO 3D DVD??

Embra, the link to the Explorist wiki in your sig line is busted. The main page exists, but none of the other pages at the site work.

I can confirm this. All the links at the eXplorist Wiki page are dead for some time.

Rudolf.

Edited by Barjon
Embra, the link to the Explorist wiki in your sig line is busted. The main page exists, but none of the other pages at the site work.

I can confirm this. All the links at the eXplorist Wiki page are dead for some time.

Rudolf.

Thanks for the report. They're maintained on RobertLipe's collection and he had been plagued by vandals not long ago. Perhaps they have struck again. I'll backchannel him to see if he wants to fix it or give up on it.

Just purchased the eXplorist XL two and a half hours ago, and already done a bit with it, and even loaded the geocaches in it already. I ended up using the 64 meg microSD memory card from the Map60Cx, using the SD memory adaptor in the eXplorist XL. This thing has alot more function than the Meridian Platinum that I sold, and it has a much larger screen than the Map60Cx, and the screen size, is why I bought the eXplorist XL today at REI. I got it at $399.99, but was able to knock it down $31.64. I might get either a 1 or 2 gig card, but don't know yet.

Don't you find that unit just a tad 'bulky'? :laughing::anitongue::laughing:

I find that the larger size of the XL is something I like. The Unit offers so many advantages, and is easier with my fumbly hands, and is easier to read-the font is wonderful.

I am looking for Topo software. Is it true that Nat'l Geo won't work in an XL?

I was out hiking in Palo Duro Canyon this week looking for cache sites. This unit performed real good. I found I could get within 3-6 feet and stop and find the cache. Neat.

- :ph34r: SunnyWalker

I am looking for Topo software. Is it true that Nat'l Geo won't work in an XL?

True, in regards to sending detail map files to the GPS. You *can* send waypoints and tracks back and forth. But if you want topo maps on your XL, about the only game in town is MapSend Topo3D.

I ordered Mag MapSend Topo USA from Tiger the other night. Should come by this weekend. I also purchased a 512 Mega bite Kodak SD card from Walmart the other night. I have as yet to put it all together. I need to delete some Geocache sites on my XL that I have been to. Maybe half of them, before I put all this together.

I am wondering should I put the topo maps on the SD card and the other data, e.g., geocache site data, on the internal memory of the XL?

:( -SunnyWalker

I would say put your larger data sets on the card. If something happens such that you need to re-initialize the GPS, then it's an easy matter to restore data preserved on the card. Anything in internal memory is wiped.

I think the exception I make for this are tracks...IIRC you can't set the SD card as a default folder, and it's a PITA to always have to navigate away from internal memory.