Altimeter/barometer Usage

sylex

I am wanting to upgrade from my yellow etrex to something a bit more modern that will allow me to add caches via my laptop, see maps of the area, and has a bigger/color screen.

So far Im looking @ the garmin Cx models.

I pretty much only use my GPS for geocaching and hiking. Is there any real advantage to having a unit w/ barometer, altimeter, digital compass for basic tasks?

how would an everyday person use these features?

The compass could be handy (there's one on our Garmin 76s) but don't leave it on all the time or your batteries will suffer.

The altimeter and barometer are gadgets, the way I cache (no long back country stays under the stars, for example). Ask yourself this, "would I ever use this information to make a decision?" and if not, the feature is a luxury.

The compass could be handy (there's one on our Garmin 76s) but don't leave it on all the time or your batteries will suffer.

The altimeter and barometer are gadgets, the way I cache (no long back country stays under the stars, for example). Ask yourself this, "would I ever use this information to make a decision?" and if not, the feature is a luxury.

thanks, thats what i was thinking :D I always get hungup on the bells/whistles when making a purchasing decision

The best use of the altimeter/barometer that I have experienced is to use it as a weather station while holed up in our basement safe-room during recent hurricanes.

I bought both my CS and CSX because I wanted to compass feature. Altimeter/barometer is just a bonus that I rarely use.

Edited by YuccaPatrol

I bought a Suunto wrist altimeter many years ago at REI for $130. It's very handy, easy to use, always visible (don't need to change screens!), the batteries last 3 years, it's always with me, and has features the GPS versions don't. My experience with GPS is that technology changes enough to justify a new one every two to three years. That means you're paying the extra $50 multiple times if you want the "s" series GPS. So my opinion is to buy a separate altimeter/barometer.

I used to have a 60C, and thought the compass and altimeter were things I'd never need. After getting the chance to use a Magellan with a compass in it, I decided the next time to go with a 60CSx. The altimeter doesn't do me any good, but the ability to have the GPS continue pointing me to the cache without my having to keep wandering around so it knows where I'm going was worth the extra cost for me. But, of course, your mileage may very. If you don't want to spend that much and don't mind a little inconvenience, a real compass only costs $10 or so, and you should have one with you anyway "just in case." :D

Of the two (compass and altimeter) I like the pressure trend readout. I never had that before and its neat to watch a storm come in (pressure drop) and then rise again as it goes out. Pressure drop can give you an indiation of stormy weather so I like it. The compass is nice to have, but I find myself always questioning its accuracy. I would want a "real" compass in any case.

I used to have a 60C, and thought the compass and altimeter were things I'd never need. After getting the chance to use a Magellan with a compass in it, I decided the next time to go with a 60CSx. The altimeter doesn't do me any good, but the ability to have the GPS continue pointing me to the cache without my having to keep wandering around so it knows where I'm going was worth the extra cost for me. But, of course, your mileage may very. If you don't want to spend that much and don't mind a little inconvenience, a real compass only costs $10 or so, and you should have one with you anyway "just in case." :D

I have a VistaC and, as I understand it, the only way to get a bearing on the cache while standing still is to have the built-in electronic compass. That's why I asked (got it for a Christmas present) for this model. I don't use the altimeter at all except to answer the usually irrelevant question, How high are we?

Bill W

I am wanting to upgrade from my yellow etrex to something a bit more modern that will allow me to add caches via my laptop, see maps of the area, and has a bigger/color screen.

I pretty much only use my GPS for geocaching and hiking. Is there any real advantage to having a unit w/ barometer, altimeter, digital compass for basic tasks?

In the practical terms that you describe, they are entertaining but otherwise pretty much useless. <_<

Edited by Team Cotati

Of the two (compass and altimeter) I like the pressure trend readout. I never had that before and its neat to watch a storm come in (pressure drop) and then rise again as it goes out. Pressure drop can give you an indiation of stormy weather so I like it. The compass is nice to have, but I find myself always questioning its accuracy. I would want a "real" compass in any case.

I used to have a 60C, and thought the compass and altimeter were things I'd never need. After getting the chance to use a Magellan with a compass in it, I decided the next time to go with a 60CSx. The altimeter doesn't do me any good, but the ability to have the GPS continue pointing me to the cache without my having to keep wandering around so it knows where I'm going was worth the extra cost for me. But, of course, your mileage may very. If you don't want to spend that much and don't mind a little inconvenience, a real compass only costs $10 or so, and you should have one with you anyway "just in case." :huh:

Accuracy in geocaching? <_< The electronic compass is more than adequate and reduces the need to hold two devices for usage.

The Magellan's 3-axis compass is +/- 3 degrees. Your average $12 compass is going to be just as variable and the advantage of the electronic over the standard is when you have that cache waypoint as a goto, the compass will point towards that waypoint. The standard compass can't. It's a nice marriage of features.

Accuracy in geocaching? <_< The electronic compass is more than adequate and reduces the need to hold two devices for usage.

The Magellan's 3-axis compass is +/- 3 degrees. Your average $12 compass is going to be just as variable and the advantage of the electronic over the standard is when you have that cache waypoint as a goto, the compass will point towards that waypoint. The standard compass can't. It's a nice marriage of features.

When I first started looking at GPSr, I thought I really wanted the electronic compass feature, but couldn't afford it. I bought an actual compass and use it in conjunction with my GPSr and now don't miss the electronic compass at all.

The advantages of an actual compass are: doesn't rely on batteries, can be used with paper maps and other non-geocaching applications, quicker when you just want to which way is North, but don't want to fire up GPSr.

In addition I would suggest always having an actual compass with you (and make sure you know how to use it!) when out in the woods, because technology always seems to fail when you need it most. :huh:

If you can afford it, go for it. More bells and whistles are always good. After all, that's why we like GPS's. They're high tech. The regular compass would be high tech to Columbus so it's all relative anyway. Also, batteries are good. At night you can see the GPS compass a lot better than those old fashioned compasses (but not a bad idea to have a cheap one for backup). Also, take a spare set of batteries. I've used my Vista for 5 years and never had a problem with it failing. (God's going to get me now <_< Compared to the GPS's today with auto routing, my unit probably isn't considered high-tech anymore anyway - with or without electronic compass.

Like others said, why tie up both hands when you have a unit that combines both for single hand control and observation? Save your second hand to hold onto the tree or a hiking stick so you don't slip and break a leg. If you can't walk, a regular compass can't help you anyway. Go fer it all. tell your wife it will save your life, that's why you need the electronic compass. Heck, she'll probably buy it for you cause she loves you so much. :huh:

Edited by Alan2

Well you have the yellow etrex model, so you know that really the compass is totally not nessasary.

Because you get a heading when your moving, and when your moving into the general location of where your cache you just look at the compass before your stop moving.

And if you dont move you still get a reading, and on top of that anyone with a few brain cells at least can read the MAP on the GPS you should be able to tell which way is north, if you werent looking at if before you stopped.

Really its about the altimeter not the compass, if you are going to use that, then its worth it.... Would be nice if Garmin put some sort of weather prediction in there like the Mag has but whatever....

Heres a link I wanted to show you, not sure what the price difference is your looking at between the Cx and the Csx but.....

http://www.coghlans.com/catalogue/productList.php?catID=4

http://www.gear-up.com/category/86

Second page shows some Canadian prices, 40 bucks here, so your looking at even cheaper. And thats just one ( i have no idea of the quality of this product ) but im sure there are more cheap compass/altimeters if you really need one at a later date... or as a backup besides your GPS.

If you have the money, I dont even see how this is an issue.

Just one quick point: The altimeter is important to me, because I'm interested in getting good relative elevation data with my tracklog. I've seen GPS elevation tracklogs, and they seem to have more high frequency noise with the occasional transient spike; barometric altimeter tracklogs seem much smoother (only talking about the vertical profile here). One thing a separate altimeter can't do for you is put data back into your tracklog. So if you just want to know how high you are at any particular moment, the separate altimeter will be fine.

Keith

Just one quick point: The altimeter is important to me, because I'm interested in getting good relative elevation data with my tracklog. I've seen GPS elevation tracklogs, and they seem to have more high frequency noise with the occasional transient spike; barometric altimeter tracklogs seem much smoother (only talking about the vertical profile here). One thing a separate altimeter can't do for you is put data back into your tracklog. So if you just want to know how high you are at any particular moment, the separate altimeter will be fine.

Keith

I thought my tacks were smoother as well since I've been getting the Garmin S series.

But the main thing that I like is they have Vertial Trip Computers in them were C's don't. Lot's of extra data to have. They say the processer uses the data from the altimeter and gps sat's to give a better elevation accuracy as well.

The compass is helpful if you want to determine the direction to a cache without haing to move. The altieter/barometeer is an extra feature that is nice to have, but wholly unnecessry for caching. It can graph yoyu elevatin over time and distance, and tell you if the weather is going to get bad (falling-raising pressure). But keep in mind that these are both gadgets. However, I believe the Legend Cx is $239 while the vista is $350. However, if you buy from Backpacker.com, you can get US TOPO map discs for $10 more, a $115 value. Also, like otyhers have said, you get an elevation tracklog, which plots you elevation and point on a map. Even, it can show good hunting and fishing times for the day. If I were you, I'd pay the $5 extra and get the vista cx over the legend cx.

Edited by gluteusmaximus92

Hey, so what is the best tool for looking at my tracklog and view elevation and times???

I ahve a garmin 60csx

The compass is helpful if you want to determine the direction to a cache without haing to move. The altieter/barometeer is an extra feature that is nice to have, but wholly unnecessry for caching. It can graph yoyu elevatin over time and distance, and tell you if the weather is going to get bad (falling-raising pressure). But keep in mind that these are both gadgets. However, I believe the Legend Cx is $239 while the vista is $350. However, if you buy from Backpacker.com, you can get US TOPO map discs for $10 more, a $115 value. Also, like otyhers have said, you get an elevation tracklog, which plots you elevation and point on a map. Even, it can show good hunting and fishing times for the day. If I were you, I'd pay the $5 extra and get the vista cx over the legend cx.

The Compass, Barometer and Altimeter are not needed for geocaching, about the only they are good for is adding money to the dealers tills. You would be better of buying a few good pairs of hiking sox.

If you really want a compass you would be better of with a real baseplate compass that you can find for less than $10.00

Neither are mapping GPS's - cachers have gotten along fine with the yellow Etrex and just a needle for years. And autmatic trasnmission aren't needed for driving either. It's just another frill that poepl are willing to spend their money on because they enjoy the extra bells and whistles. If you're looking for convenience and like extra features, then get a gos with electonic compasses, altimeters, barometers, mapping, auto-routing,etc. If you're just trying to see if you're interested, than get a basic GPS for 100.00 or borrow one and then decide if you want more stuff later.

Accuracy in geocaching? :D The electronic compass is more than adequate and reduces the need to hold two devices for usage.

When I first started looking at GPSr, I thought I really wanted the electronic compass feature, but couldn't afford it. I bought an actual compass and use it in conjunction with my GPSr and now don't miss the electronic compass at all.

The advantages of an actual compass are: doesn't rely on batteries, can be used with paper maps and other non-geocaching applications, quicker when you just want to which way is North, but don't want to fire up GPSr.

In addition I would suggest always having an actual compass with you (and make sure you know how to use it!) when out in the woods, because technology always seems to fail when you need it most. :mad:

If you do a search, you'll note I have always advocated carrying backups and never advised being completely dependent upon any one compass, particularly those that require batteries. I myself carry 4. One on my MeriPlat, one on my Suunto, one on my whistle and a lensatic compass.

That being said, my response was about the advantages of having an electronic compass built into the GPS, not the virtues of having a backup.

Let's go over the other things of the electronic compass while we're at it:

• Uses the batteries faster.

Anybody carrying a GPS should always carry spares batteries, so why would this be an issue?

• More expensive than a standard compass.

True, but there are folks already spending upwards to $50 or more for some of the fancier compasses and still lack the waypoint advantage of the built in.
  • The GPS can break if you drop it.

So can a standard compass. I'll bet you I hold onto my GPS with more care than a standard compass.

• You can do the same thing with a standard compass and a GPS that you can do with an electronic compass built in.

Do it with both instruments in the same hand. I dare you. :mad: And I'll repeat myself here, the built-in electronic compass has the advantage of using the waypoint as a goto and will point at it as well as pointing to North at the same time, live, without the need to move. It will also give you your COG bearing when you are moving.

Accuracy of +/- 3 degrees in geocaching with an electronic compass is more than adequate and more convenient which is what I responded to. Like Alan said, you pay for the convenience. All other arguments are merely academic. :(

I forgot to add, an electronic compass doesn't depend on the satellites so firing it up to use on a paper map isn't that big a deal. It's easier to push a button when it is on to see which way is north than it is to dig the compass out of my pocket to do the same thing, and while walking, I don't have to wait for it to settle down.

Edited by TotemLake

I use the barometer when I'm saltwater fishing. Elevation is near constant (only changing elevation about 6 feet every 6 hours), but it does a good job of predicting whether or not a "pop-up" thunder cell is going to hit or miss my boat. I also used it to track if my migranes are pressure related. Other than that it hasn't been much use.

The compass on the other hand has been very useful.