Poll: How Many Geocachers Have Laptops For Field Use?

ClikSnap

I'm a computer network engineer so i might not really count but i have my laptop wiht me everywhere. when im geocaching the laptop is always in the car.

even if it wasnt always with me. if i saw in the cache page that i would need it, i would make sure to take it along. internet access is another thing because remember wifi isnt everywhere

I'm a computer network engineer so i might not really count but i have my laptop wiht me everywhere. when im geocaching the laptop is always in the car.

even if it wasnt always with me. if i saw in the cache page that i would need it, i would make sure to take it along. internet access is another thing because remember wifi isnt everywhere

Well, internet access is not required in order for my idea to work.

I'm thinking of hiding two seperate nanocaches... Each with a rolled up piece of paper inside. One side will be the "log" (A place to write the date and initials) and on the other side, half of a third co-ord. Find the two seperate, and they will lead to a third, an inexpensive USB thumbdrive. You would then place a .txt log on the thumbdrive as proof that you'd found it. The log would be ON the drive. then, you could download a small .jpg file from the drive that would be added to the photo section of the log on geocaching.com.

Just an idea. I'm trying to figure out how to make the whole thing work, but... being that it uses a thumbdrive, and somewhat valueable, I'm sure it wouldn't take long to be muggled.

Any suggestions?

Just an idea. I'm trying to figure out how to make the whole thing work, but... being that it uses a thumbdrive, and somewhat valueable, I'm sure it wouldn't take long to be muggled.

Any suggestions?

considering the prices of these things nowdays, I'd say it's worth the trouble....and if it's hidden fairly well, you'd probably be ok. Sounds fun!

my powerbook is always with me....how did I survive before a laptop?

Mike

I'm working on a rather unique geocache idea that would require use of a laptop computer. To get an idea of practicality, I'm asking how many geocachers own laptops that they can take with them and use while out hunting?

Thanks!

I say go for it! Don't worry about how many cachers have a laptop. Don't let that question stiffle your creativity on your hide.

Many cachers have laptops. And there is no rule that says a hide must be easy enough for *all* cachers to find without any special equipment. Some caches require ropes and climbing skills. Why not one that requires a laptop and computer skills?

while im completely intrigued with the idea and it makes me wonder what geeky twist i can put on a cache of my own. i have a slight problem with idea. if i understand your plan you want them to sign the text file on your thumb drive and pull an image off of the drive and post the image on the website in order to prove they found the cache. wouldnt you just wind up with a cache page having X number of copies of the same photo. also it wouldnt be difficult for dishonest person to copy the image someone else posted and use it in your own post.

depending on the type of photo you want them to pull, you could load it up with 20 or so photos of the same thing just slightly different. maybe move a little or something. then you could tell them to delete the picture they took off the drive. this way everyone would have a simular photo but none would be quite the same.

ive probably just made this too complicated.

all the same i REALLY like your idea.

I've just recently converted from PDA to laptop in my car. Loving it so far, and trying it out this week on a geovacation.

But, sorry, I wouldn't search for your cache. I don't have any way of knowing what's on that thumb drive.

Yet you seek out and open containers of various sizes and shapes, each capable of being disguised as a bomb, tainted blood in hypodermic needles, poisonous snakes or photos of horrifically obese women in thong bikinis.

Odd.

Yeah,

I'm one of those idiots that will risk being blown up, being bitten by a West China Rattle Bird Flu Pneumonia infected snake, or seeing an obese person wearing a thong, but I won't risk my PC's health by putting a thumb drive into the USB port and allowing who knows what to affect my computer. Sorry, but while I like the idea, I'm out.

Cracker

Edited because I'm a non typing fool.

Edited by Cracker in the Hat

I take one only when I'm way outside home territory, like on a trip. I would put a foreign pen drive in my machine, but you will find quite a few folks who wouldn't. I've seen it with home-burned CD's left for swag and floppies and stuff.

Actually, I might have a little bit of a qualm about moisture building up in the thing or something.

Yeah,

I'm one of those idiots that will risk being blown up, being bitten by a West China Rattle Bird Flu Pneumonia infected snake, or seeing an obese person wearing a thong, but I won't risk my PC's health by putting a thumb drive into the USB port and allowing who knows what to affect my computer. Sorry, but while I like the idea, I'm out.

hmmm...maybe you'd need to restrict the Cache & drive to Macs?

give us one thing to do in this game that the PC users can't do....instead of us constantly fighting with PC only GPS software....

I'm thinking of hiding two seperate nanocaches... Each with a rolled up piece of paper inside. One side will be the "log" (A place to write the date and initials) and on the other side, half of a third co-ord.

Saw another multi where the cache owner had a heck of time maintaining the logs. The first stage was an Altoids can that had a log and coordinates to the 2nd stage. The cache page clearly indicated it was a 2 stage cache, the log in the Altoids can clearly indicated there was another stage, but people continued to just find the 1st stage and attempt to log it as a find. The 2nd stage was a .50 cal ammo can that he'd done a nice job cammo-ing and locating in a very nice place. People would hit the first stage, sign that log, and then never go to the final stage. It was obvious people never paid any attention to the instructions. The road into the 1st stage was a dead end road, only way in. Getting to the 1st stage you drove right past the 2nd stage going in and coming out. The 2nd stage was about 20 ft off the road, yet a number of people would not log it. He was constantly deleting logs because people wouldn't go to the final stage and complete the cache. He finally eliminated the log sheet at the 1st stage and got better compliance.

As far as the thumb drive, I'm like the others. I'm not putting it in my computer. I don't take candy, MREs, eye drops, tooth brushes, make up, dental floss, hand cream, etc from any cache and use them. I'm not going to use a thumb drive either.

I'm a network guy myself and have a few laptops hanging around. One is a tough little booger that would probably be happy to go along for the ride and finding a cache just for him would rock. I have no fear of the foreign thumbdrive...as long as you have antivirus up-to-date and don't run any applications on it, you should be good to go. But I, like ganlet, am probably the exception and not the rule since I can restore any machine to factory in a matter of minutes (ok, an hour) and won't lose anything.

I did have a creative thought: How about use the thumbdrive like the disposable camera? Since you want a geeky twist, people can take pictures of themselves at the cache with their own digital camera and upload it to the thumbdrive and then sign the text file log. When the drive gets full, email the owner or report the available space in the log.

*looks around for an extra thumb drive*

Aaron

I'm a network guy myself and have a few laptops hanging around. One is a tough little booger that would probably be happy to go along for the ride and finding a cache just for him would rock. I have no fear of the foreign thumbdrive...as long as you have antivirus up-to-date and don't run any applications on it, you should be good to go. But I, like ganlet, am probably the exception and not the rule since I can restore any machine to factory in a matter of minutes (ok, an hour) and won't lose anything.

I did have a creative thought: How about use the thumbdrive like the disposable camera? Since you want a geeky twist, people can take pictures of themselves at the cache with their own digital camera and upload it to the thumbdrive and then sign the text file log. When the drive gets full, email the owner or report the available space in the log.

*looks around for an extra thumb drive*

Aaron

actually this is a really good twist to the idea. here is where it gets a little geeky. if all someone is doing is placing a photo on to the drive there is actually no possibility that any unauthorized program could possibly excute on the finders laptop. except if there was an autorun script but that would be bluntly obvious. i do mean obvious there would be a little file there saying autorun. so far there is no possible way method of infection because you are not actually running to accessing anything on the thumb drive just adding. as for the log file i will admit if someone is really twisted they could wrap a trojan with log but once again i dont see how someone capable of that is sitting around waiting for a thumbdrive geocache.

in recap

if all someone is doing is simple adding a file not modifying or accessing any information on the thumbdrive then there shouldnt be any issue wiht viruses.

instead of log book they could just name the picture their SN and date

hmmm...maybe you'd need to restrict the Cache & drive to Macs?

give us one thing to do in this game that the PC users can't do....instead of us constantly fighting with PC only GPS software....

LOL, you knew when you bought a Mac, that it was like taking a moped on the interstate.

I hear their commercials daily, 'doesn't lock up', easy to use ..... what they dont tell you

is how incompatible it is in the real world.

Why not ebay it and buy a real one. Mac :rolleyes:

:unsure:

I keep the laptop running in the truck. GSAK and S&T. Wouldn't carry the computer with me, though.

I agree with Lep, I'm not sticking the drive in my USB port for fear of the unknown. No amount of reassurance that I couldn't get a virus can change my mind. It's just not worth the risk for me. If there was a regular old "analog"log there too, I'd search for your cache and sign that.

1) _Anything_ that can be read on the mac can be read on a PC.

2) Even an autorun isn't hazardous if you a) turn off autorun or B) hold down the shift key when putting media into a PC or c) set windows (XP only) to automatically open only the folder or prompt for action any time foreign media is inserted. Personally, I'd probably prefer SD/MMC or CF instead. The vast majority of palmtops from palm to CE can read SD, for example. That removes most of the virus threat and further allows for portable devices (even many phones) to read/write the card.

3) To respond to the OP: I have a carputer in the truck. I wouldn't carry a laptop into the field, but I could be prompted to drag the "cache" back to the truck for a few minutes.

A twist-thought: Acknowledging the forgery potential, just put a few hundred images on the drive, and digitally sign them. Prompt the person to download all the images, and just post the next consecutive when they log... The image itself and the filename could both just simply be numbers so there's no confusion...

Another concern since forgery has been mentioned: What stops me from deleting the log of a nemesis?

Prehaps have the text files named by number too. Doesn't stop it, but non-consecutive date/number becomes kinda obvious.

Just some thoughts! Keep thinking the way you're thinking, you may be onto a whole new category!

[edited to turn off emoticons for my "B)]

Edited by Adrenalynn

1) _Anything_ that can be read on the mac can be read on a PC.

2) Even an autorun isn't hazardous if you a) turn off autorun or :rolleyes: hold down the shift key when putting media into a PC or c) set windows (XP only) to automatically open only the folder or prompt for action any time foreign media is inserted. Personally, I'd probably prefer SD/MMC or CF instead. The vast majority of palmtops from palm to CE can read SD, for example. That removes most of the virus threat and further allows for portable devices (even many phones) to read/write the card.

[edited to turn off emoticons for my ":unsure:]

i want to clear this up before the we have a mac pc debate. yes majority of everything that a mac can access a windows box can to and vice versa WITH 3rd party utilities. alot of old mac stuff does need 3rd party programs to be opened in a windows enviorment.

i didnt mean to say the autorun couldnt be easily avoided (its one of the first things i disable on computers). i was merely trying to cover every possible threat.

also i agree your definately on to something. if it was near me i would love to go after it the moment it was published. i just like the idea of havin a geekier cache

3) To respond to the OP: I have a carputer in the truck. I wouldn't carry a laptop into the field, but I could be prompted to drag the "cache" back to the truck for a few minutes.

Well, this particular cache would be a drive up cache. I'd make the media card, whatever kind it might be, (I only suggested USB because I happen to have one sitting on my desk that is a measly 128 meg, and is never used) it would be well hidden, and quite the challenge to find, as it would be cleverly disguised.

I have the geocaches all made up and ready to go, just have to figure out exactly how to incorperate the media card. I want to make this a geeky kind of cache that would appeal to only a select handful of geeks..

Yeah, OS-X needs third-party apps to open some older MacOS files, too... :unsure: (I worked on postscript drivers for 'OS6, then later worked for Filemaker post-Claris...) Personally, I'd mount 'em up on my linux boot anyway.

Hmm, where were we: Oh, physical media type: I see 32MB SD cards at the local grocery store, in with the batteries and film, for $12 or less. :rolleyes:

I would recommend a small SD Card (afterall your only using text files) and mention you need a reader in case your coming with a laptop.

Better yet provide a reader at a close but different location, making it a nice little multicache.

Everyone is suggesting elaborate confirmation techniques such as images and what not. May I suggest an easier and less files size technique.

Go to your favorite free e-mail account and create an e-mail address using whatever. Suggesting perhaps the name of the geocache.

Then...

Create 2 text files, "Log" and "Cache Description" the first can be where people sign. The second can be used for description and to provide the "secret" address where people need to send their confirmations to.

This allows you a simple method of comparing who, without complex images and someone perhaps forgetting to delete. Also if someone obtains the e-mail from another cacher periodically check the "Log" text file for a double check.

I really like the idea of this one, I don't know where you live. However, now I have an inclination to hide one of these myself... perhaps by a CyberCafe.... or computer store.

nuttycomputer

how about 2 traditional caches

that can be logged by normal cachers

but within 1 there is a thumbdrive/sd card that has a phrase

the other has an email account

you send the phrase to the email address and you recieve the coordinates

to a 3rd puzzle cache. that will have some geeky name

the email account can be a work account or something (long as its not known on geocaching then who cares) just so dont have to check a whole other email account for 1 cache.

Ganlet:

Not a bad idea either.

I was thinking right after I posted this that integrity comes into play for those FTF's

Going on the original concept, in order to really confirm a FTF, since with text someone could just delete it and e-mail doesn't mean the FTF hasn't logged it yet, create a third "FTF" text file with a number, passphrase etc. That could then be deleted by the FTF'er

I'm liking these ideas guys, since this is my main focus in school right now, and I have yet to do a multi-cache. I think it would be awesome to create one encompassing all my hobbies.

Well. After much thought, here's how I think I'm going to do this.

I have 2 nanocaches ready. I'll hide each, and label them as part 1 and part 2. Each will have half of a third coord. Get both halves, and they will direct you to a third cache. One that is VERY cleverly hidden. Once found, the third will contain a small, inexpensive SD card - if people don't want to put a media card in their laptop, then good. This cache is directed at people with enough computer skills to play the game without being paranoid about a virus. After all, SOME people still honour the geocachers creed.

The SD card would be able to be read in a palm or other handheld device, virtually ALL handhelds have an SD card slot in them. For the FTF, there will be a notepad file with a "FTF coord", which they will save to their device (or otherwise record the coords) then delete from the card. At their conveinience, they go collect a 4th cache just for them.

As for the media card being the log. It works kind of like the threads you see "the person above me".

I will leave a file named "log keyword". The person to find the cache has to then include that keyword in their log online to confirm their find. That person then has to change the keyword on the card (IN CONJUNCTION with signing the log on the card) in order for the next person to log the cache, and in turn, they must do the same. And so on. And so on.

Since it'll be clear in the published details that this particular cache is geared towards other geek cachers, and all the "stipulations" of the hunt will be crystal clear to begin with, only hopefully, only those whom the cache is geared towards will be the people hunting for it. People who don't want to have a "foreign" media card in their devices and still seek the cache will find there's NO pen or paper to log the cache in the field as the logbook will be on the SD card itself, and will have to be edited in a hand held or laptop.

Simply put, if you don't want to play by the rules of the cache, don't hunt for it. If you don't log the SD card but log the find online, then that entry will be deleted.

Anything I'm missing? Suggestions?

Thanks to all for your input!

i almost am tempted to start a new thread "ideas for geeky caches" or something. my only problem with everythign that we've talked about thus far is it only requires a finder to be able to open a txt file and email something (we do more than that geocaching).

Well. Personally... And after discussing it with my fellow geek and geocacher (Slannesh), I'm tempted to go with the USB drive still. This way, geocaching cartoons, images, MP3s, and other things can be swapped and traded if desired. My fault here is I'm trying to appease the posters that got alarmed at the idea of having a USB drive in their laptops.

Personally, I think it'd be a hoot to stick a USB drive in my laptop and seeing what folks have left. Like a virtual swag trade. :unsure: If someone WAS to attack my laptop... There's nothing on it I can't lose and a full format and reinstall would take me all of an hour, thanks to imaging software. :rolleyes:

Your last post says it all. People don't have to go for the cache if they're concerned about viruses and such.

As a computer literate person of 20+ years myself, I know that all it takes is a couple of precautions and you're safe. There's no reason to be paranoid about a USB drive or flash card being malicious. Let me ask you this... Why would a geocacher go to all the trouble just to infect you with a virus or trojan? Surely if this were the case the cache would be archived in short order.

I think there are a lot of people that are extremely paranoid for no reason. Two steps are all that's required:

1) disable autorun (hold shift while plugging in the device and hold it for a few seconds)

2) scan the drive or card with up-to-date anti-virus software before accessing it.

If you already have anti-virus software running on your laptop it's going to protect you anyway. Being knowledgable about what file types can contain malicious software is also important. Text files are not going to be able to infect your computer with a virus.

The only other concern might be moisture, but I've run my USB drive through the washing machine a couple times and it still works. I highly doubt moisture is going to be a factor.

I say more power to the OP. I would like to see more use of technology in geocaches. There's something a little "Mission Impossible" about using flash drives and cards for a geocache. It's just plain cool I think. I love the idea of file swapping too. It just adds a whole new level to geocaching.

Edited by Freth

i almost am tempted to start a new thread "ideas for geeky caches" or something. my only problem with everythign that we've talked about thus far is it only requires a finder to be able to open a txt file and email something (we do more than that geocaching).

Well. Personally... And after discussing it with my fellow geek and geocacher (Slannesh), I'm tempted to go with the USB drive still. This way, geocaching cartoons, images, MP3s, and other things can be swapped and traded if desired. My fault here is I'm trying to appease the posters that got alarmed at the idea of having a USB drive in their laptops.

Personally, I think it'd be a hoot to stick a USB drive in my laptop and seeing what folks have left. Like a virtual swag trade. :unsure: If someone WAS to attack my laptop... There's nothing on it I can't lose and a full format and reinstall would take me all of an hour, thanks to imaging software. :rolleyes:

while those things can be traded over a sd card i think there is something fitting about using a thumbdrive. i was also thinking could be interesting to send a TB thumbdrive out into the world. (i think i will after shopping for the most durable thumbdrive i can find.) if moisture is ever a problem for you just collect some of those moisture balls that come with alot of new electronics.

I think there are a lot of people that are extremely paranoid for no reason.

Sensationalism, and consumerism.

The media especially, has everyone convinced that their computers are going to explode tomorrow with some new and sinister computer virus. Propagating paranoia makes for good stories on the evening news. I'm absolutely convinced that it's the antivirus companies like Norton, McAfee, Trend, etc that are putting out the alerts that the news outlets pick up. Co-inky-dink?

And the more terrified people are of things that don't exist and are NOT a threat, the more people consume to protect themselves. Anyone remember Y2K? Lol. Retailers were LAUGHING THEIR ARSES OFF while people ran around in a mad panic convinced that the end was emminent. :rolleyes: I had not laughed that hard in my life, before, or since.

Bottom line is, if you educate yourself, and understand the very fundamentals of how things work, you have nothing to be afraid of. People truly ARE afraid of what they don't understand. I work with computers all day, every day. I rebuild, repair, fix crashed systems, and re-install OS's several times a week. You know what the biggest threats to a computer are?

Human ignorance and stupidity.

It's getting to the point now where it's quicker and easier to simply do a LLF, reinstall, and reconfigure than it is to sit for hours and try to back up data, remove trojans, repair system files, etc, etc. People will eagerly install yahoo, MSN, browser enhancers, tool bars, acellerators, yada, yada, yada. Click yes to every lame popup that warns them of impending viral doom, install this, install that, free this checker, free that checker, install this utility, you have a worm, and so on. Then, when their computers take on all the functionality of a sun baked tire, they run to their nearest computer repair center and happily drop anywhere from $50 to $100 bucks AN HOUR having their computer fixed and cleaned up, rather than just educate themselves and understand what their dealing with and how to take care of it themselves. My father just got suckered into paying $40 to have his web browser home page set back from a browser hijackers home page. Something he could have done himself!

I mean no more offense to posters who say they would never participate in a cache like mine then they mean to me by saying "sorry, I wouldn't search for your cache. I don't have any way of knowing what's on that thumb drive" or "I wound never stick somthing in my computer that I find in the woods sorry but now way", but... I find people like you to be hysterical, honestly. Ignorance truly is bliss. Too bad you'd miss out because you're too distrustful to have faith in people. The SAME people you try to convince non-geocachers are "really good people with the best interests of mother nature at heart".

Worse yet, you guys put good ideas into a negative light by saying - in a public forum - that the idea is flawed because the potential for harm exists! Where is the potential for harm NOT present while geocaching? lol

The Geocachers creed: #7; Protect the integrity of the game pieces. I guess that I'm foolish enough to actually BELIEVE in that. Too bad some people aren't buying what they're trying to sell.

Sorry about the soapbox rant. I'm up at 4 am, with insomnia, yet again.

I hate to say it people. He's right.

Paranoia about virus infection and spyware infection is ingrained in illiterate computer users. The main cause of virus infection and spyware infection is ignorance. Popup ads, going to web sites that install malicious plugins, installing toolbars into your browser, installing software that has spyware and toolbars, clicking on ad banners made to look like actual windows... the list goes on. Common sense use of the internet and having a basic understanding of how things work goes a long way.

One of the most basic concepts people overlook are popups with pictures of buttons and official looking windows. If you notice every time you move your cursor over a real browser window the cursor only changes to a clicking finger when it reaches real buttons/changable content. (NOTE: In a real non-browser window on your computer the cursor doesn't change at all when you move over a button or content usually.) On a picture in a web browser that has a hyperlink tied to it you can have your cursor anywhere on that fake window and the finger cursor will show indicating you should press a button--even when you are not over the "buttons" on that window. This indicates that the whole window is a hot spot; a picture, not a real window. If you click on it you're taken to a web site trying to get you to use some bogus software or install malicious plugins, toolbars and such. Think about it: If a company has to resort to using fake looking windows (scare tactics) to make you think a virus has been found on your computer or spyware has been found how reputable do you think they really are?

First of all, a web site can't tell you that you have a virus or spyware unless it's using a plugin to scan your computer. Plugins have to be installed with your permission and the only companies you should trust are the major anti-virus/spyware companies. This is just one situation where common sense is key; how windows works, cursors display when moved over different objects and how to tell between a web site and a real window...and lastly how unlikely it is a popup window can detect you have a virus or spyware.

People need to educate themselves more about technology and how it works. Not everyone can be a computer expert, but knowing the basics and how to protect yourself is getting to be a must nowadays. Like he said, there's a lot of unwarranted fear and misunderstanding. A USB drive is not going to destroy your computer if you take simple precautions. It can't do ANYTHING if you disable the autorun feature. The odds of a cacher doing this is slim to none anyway and even the off-chance that a subsequent cacher would install malicious code into the drive is even more slim. Plugging a USB drive into your computer is harmless if you disable the autorun feature. It acts just like any other drive. You could have a thousand viruses on that USB drive and not one of them would jump into your computer without some sort of interaction from you. On the off-chance you run something on the USB drive that is malicious your anti-virus software should stop anything from happening.

Don't live in fear. Learn. Educate yourself about what viruses and spyware can and can't do and how they infiltrate your computer. Once you understand you realize you are in control, not the virus or spyware. I've been running my PC without virus scanning software for decades with little trouble. I do scan my system once in a great while, just to be safe, but I don't live in fear because I've educated myself.

Some basic rules...

* Make sure you can trust a software company before installing their software; that's what search engines are for

* Don't click on banners or pop-up windows you don't trust

* Don't go to websites that are suspect

* Don't let web sites install plugins

* Don't install toolbars for your browser and don't allow new software you may be installing to install toolbars during the install process (most will give you a choice)

* Don't run any executable attached to an e-mail without scanning it first

* Do not open any e-mail attachment that has file extensions you don't recognize

* Always keep an up-to-date virus scanner running on your PC (go to http://www.grisoft.com/ for a free virus scanner; you don't have to pay for good virus protection)

* Scan frequently for spyware and adware and be selective about the software you install from the web because it can contain malicious items

* If you have broadband use a software or hardware firewall to protect yourself from hackers and intrusions, which also protects you from malicious software trying to reach out and phone home

Remember, most virus and spyware infections are from user ignorance--and most importantly, user interaction. You clicked on something or you installed something without knowing it.

Edited by Freth

I'm working on a rather unique geocache idea that would require use of a laptop computer. To get an idea of practicality, I'm asking how many geocachers own laptops that they can take with them and use while out hunting?

Thanks!

I use GSAK and Delorme Street Atlas on my older Dell in the Jeep when I travel or geocache. That's about as far as it goes...my old Palm IIIc follows me into the field. i just upgraded from a MeriPlat to a Garmin 76cx so i will probably use autorouting on the Garmin rather than the laptoop.

LOL, you knew when you bought a Mac, that it was like taking a moped on the interstate.

I hear their commercials daily, 'doesn't lock up', easy to use ..... what they dont tell you

Why not ebay it and buy a real one. Mac

oh we really don't wanna go down this road, do we? :lol:

you have your anologies mixed up...a Mac is a Ferrari compared to a Dull Taurus.

[rant]

I have 10 Mac's still in use...the oldest being a G3 powerbook...all work fine, and do everything I need a computer to do, except for 2 and ONLY 2 programs....one of which is the Magellan caching program.

They are compatible with every standard out there in the real world thank you very much, and I've been a very happy Apple customer since 1981....

oh yeah, and I run NO anti-virus/spyware garbage on any of my machines....don't need to

[/rant] <_<

my only request for this cache is that it be somwhere near me!

M

>>They are compatible with every standard out there in the real world

That sounds like a challenge... So here I come to pee in your proverbial Wheaties:

Are they compatible with IEEE C37.04h-1990? (IEEE Standard Rating Structure For AC High-Voltage Circuit Breakers Rated On A Symmetrical Current Basis)

How about UOP163-05? (Hydrogen Sulfide and Mercaptan Sulfur in Liquid Hydrocarbons by Potentiometric Titration)

Both of those standards are employed daily in the "real world"

Edited by Adrenalynn

That sounds like a challenge... So here I come to pee in your proverbial Wheaties:

Are they compatible with IEEE C37.04h-1990? (IEEE Standard Rating Structure For AC High-Voltage Circuit Breakers Rated On A Symmetrical Current Basis)

How about UOP163-05? (Hydrogen Sulfide and Mercaptan Sulfur in Liquid Hydrocarbons by Potentiometric Titration)

ive been restraining myself in responce to that same line. i was curious what others would say. so heres my dealo. apple have been absolutely awful with open standards until recently. x86 is arguably the most widely used standard in computer hardware, apple just now complied. it wasnt until os8.6 that the TCP/IP stack was fully adopted even then it wasnt default. they have made great strides in recent years but you have to understand that to many techs its just a gui that makes good use of OpenGL. they are becoming pc hardware runnings a unix kernel and a pretty GUI

i'm not attacking apple i believe they have a hand full wonderful programs i'm a huge fan of IMovie. and yes i own an ipod.

lets not even get into how long it took them to natively ship with a 2 button mouse. (i know soo many mac friends who use to swear all you would ever want was one button)

Adrenalynn, i liked your post without the edit.

Actually, I might have a little bit of a qualm about moisture building up in the thing or something.

I bet the right thumb drive might just about fit into one of those 97 cent waterproof match holders from Wal-Mart . . . Replace the existing plastic ring with a good rubber o-ring.

JohnTee

Why not ebay it and buy a real one. Mac

you have your anologies mixed up...a Mac is a Ferrari compared to a Dull Taurus.

Thanks for the laugh :)

Next time your at a computer type store (best buy) look through all the games and look

at their compatibility, then tell how compatible they are with "everything" :laughing:

Make the cache OP, maybe on the cache page, you could use part of it to instruct people on how to scan the drive first, to instill confidence in everyone with a laptop, not just the techies, may get you more finders/logs and help educate peeps at the same time :)

Edited by Voigt54601

this is no longer appliciable since it was Superseded by C37.04-1999

that, and I think the new mag safe power adapter is the ultimate breaker....

as a data collection device to detect gasoline, naphtha, light cycle oils and similar distillates in liquid form at ambient tempture, why yes, I'm sure they are

so is a spoonful of sugar, 55MPH, and the Pythagorean theorem, but none of them have anything to do with computing (in general) either.

any my machines STILL don't get virii, and I don't need anti-virus bloatware, and I only reboot them once a month or so....

M

lets not even get into how long it took them to natively ship with a 2 button mouse. (i know soo many mac friends who use to swear all you would ever want was one button)

well, considering Macs have supported, but not NEEDED a 2-button mouse for umpteen years now, I would agree....

the difference with the interface standards on Macs is that anything that can be done with a right-click (or control-click on a Mac) is also available from the top-level pulldown menus. You don't NEED to right click to access functionality, you don't HAVE to guess which things are right-clickable and which are not, since all those functions are available from the top. In windows, you have certain functions that are ONLY accessable that way, and if you are unfamilar with a program, you find yourself right clicking all over the place guessing where a function command is hidden.

oh, and is TCP/IP from 8.6 the best you can do? that was what, 10 years ago? Macs came standard with ethernet holes long before commidity PCs did...I have nightmares recalling the conflicts that happened once we stuck nic cards in machines....

M

Edited by frelancr

Next time your at a computer type store (best buy) look through all the games and look

at their compatibility, then tell how compatible they are with "everything"

If I wanted to play games, I'd buy a PS or Xbox...

and just to satisfy your curiosity, go to http://guide.apple.com/index.lasso & look up games....

and since when is Best Buy a 'computer store'?

and since we're on the subject, last time I looked, almost half the software titles I saw there, or CompUSA for that matter, were anti-virus...what do THAT tell you?

It's a shame you can't put a out-of-the box PC online these days without having it infected...or worry about using a memory stick....really...I feel for you guys encumbered with IE embedded in your systems...

and yes, mine's bigger

M

It's a shame you can't put a out-of-the box PC online these days without having it infected...or worry about using a memory stick....really...I feel for you guys encumbered with IE embedded in your systems...

and yes, mine's bigger

M

Hey, don't look at me, I use SUSE. :laughing: And on my PC boxes, I DO use WinXP pro, but I use firefox and have alot of the XP features disabled. (I'm perfectly capable of managing my own PC, thank you)

its really funny to me that we can't have a discussion about computers without doin the whole apple vs pc thing. it feels like a garmin vs magellan thing to me actually. its funny i own and use all 4

so back on topic a little

what would people think about a thumbdrive TB i mentioned it earlier but now im curious. who would use it? durability aside.

could have txt files of fav geocaching jokes/quotes, pictures of people who have found it. or somethign like that

Edited by ganlet

its really funny to me that we can't have a discussion about computers without doin the whole apple vs pc thing. it feels like a garmin vs magellan thing to me actually. its funny i own and use all 4

so back on topic a little

what would people think about a thumbdrive TB i mentioned it earlier but now im curious. who would use it? durability aside.

could have txt files of fav geocaching jokes/quotes, pictures of people who have found it. or somethign like that

I think it's a great idea....I just might do it myself...add a pic of a carton or something...you also must upload it to a web archive for the TB so all can share....

M

Edited by frelancr