Upright Or Flat

phoneman66

I received my Garmin Legend today, and I have a question. I recall reading somewhere that Gps units function better while laying flat. Is that true, or can I stuff it in my pocket?

The antenna is behind the globe icon. You will get slightly better reception with it flat. However, I get great reception when my eTrex Vista is in the auto mount, or clipped to a strap on my backpack, both of which put it in the upright position. Bottom line - there's a difference, but not a big difference.

I received my Garmin Legend today, and I have a question. I recall reading somewhere that Gps units function better while laying flat. Is that true, or can I stuff it in my pocket?

The antenna is behind the globe icon. You will get slightly better reception with it flat. However, I get great reception when my eTrex Vista is in the auto mount, or clipped to a strap on my backpack, both of which put it in the upright position. Bottom line - there's a difference, but not a big difference.

Has any body tried one of those little GA 25MCX low profile remote GPS antennas? Looks like you could put this on your hat and put the GPS in your pocket.

Carl

Same here....not a huge difference as I'm hiking to the cache, but when I get a couple hundred feet from the cache area, I put it flat to improve the signal.

I have a CompactFlash card GPSr fitted to my PDA. It works best with it laying almost flat. However, it usually works upright, upside down, back to front etc, I've even managed to keep a signal lock with it in my fleece pocket or rucksack.

The main problem with keeping a signal lock will be trees, terrain (e.g. canyons, gorges, etc.) and tall buildings.