How Do You Check The Memory Level Of A Chip?

I have a 60csx. I just loaded up some of the Topo map for California and Nevada, and apparently I need the CityStreet maps or whatever they're called. I'm wondering if I need to take advantage of the $30 1GB chip that Outpost.com is selling right now. In order to decide, I'd like to find out how much memory I'm already using.

How much of your memory are you using with which maps?

Any help would be appreciated!

I have a 60csx. I'd like to find out how much memory I'm already using.

How much of your memory are you using with which maps?

Any help would be appreciated!

CLICK HERE to download the GPSMAP 60CSx firmware update version 2.62 Beta as of March 9, 2006. It provides support for writing the active log to the data card. It also shows a graph of memory used on the data card. Since the data card can also contain custom POIs and track logs as well as map data, viewing your loaded maps in MapSource does not always give the complete picture. If all you have stored on the card are maps, then that's fine. But if you have any custom POIs loaded and or track logs written to the card, you should use the graph in the GPSr's Tracks setup page.

Be aware... SanDisk announced a 2GB MicroSD last year, and chances are they're offering a rebate because they plan to start selling the 2GB shortly. In other words it may be worth waiting, as prices will drop on the 1GB anyway once the 2GB hits shelves.

Thanks for the tip chetwynd and drbugs! I think I'll take advantage of the rebate on the 1GB. I can't forsee ever using all the memory in a 1GB, let alone 2GB.

However, I've always wondered why Garmin chose to utilize the MicroSD when you still have to have an SD adapter to use it. Why not just use the standard SD to start with? :laughing:

Edited by BGunner01

Thanks for the tip chetwynd and drbugs! I think I'll take advantage of the rebate on the 1GB. I can't forsee ever using all the memory in a 1GB, let alone 2GB.

However, I've always wondered why Garmin chose to utilize the MicroSD when you still have to have an SD adapter to use it. Why not just use the standard SD to start with? :D

A standard SD card is HUGE compared to a microSD card. By using a microSD format, Garmin has kept the small size of their GPS units while adding expandable memory.

I have 1GB versions of a standard SD card, a miniSD, and a microSD card. It is amazing how small the microSD card is compared to the standard SD. :D

SanDisk brand comes WITH an adapter. Not sure about other brands. You will NOT necessarily need an adapter. You certainly don't need one to load maps or POIs into your GPSr. If you want to connect the card to the computer (which is necessary for getting the .gpx files of the track log from the card), you'll need a reader of some type. You could get a MicroSD card reader. But if you already have an SD card reader, it would be nice to have an adapter for your MicroSD card to work in the SD reader rather than buy a MicroSD card reader too.

so wait, for my new 60csx, if I get the 1gb card I also have to have the adapter?

No, the adapter is not required for inserting in the x units but is required if you plan to remove the card occasionally and use in a reader. I believe most micros come with adapter anyway. They make a good storage holder if nothing else.

Olar

Using the standard SD memory cards, would have caused Garmin to start over from scratch, but with the tiny microSD card, it was only a small modification of the current GPS units.

A standard SD card is HUGE compared to a microSD card. By using a microSD format, Garmin has kept the small size of their GPS units while adding expandable memory.

I'm at work so I can't just look at my GPSR. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the microSD card still have to be inserted into the regular-size SD card "adapter" before it can be inserted into the 60Cx and 60CSx? Thus, the reasoning behind my question – Why not just use the regular-size SD card to start with? It still takes up the same amount of space inside the unit.

Edited by BGunner01

Using the standard SD memory cards, would have caused Garmin to start over from scratch, but with the tiny microSD card, it was only a small modification of the current GPS units.

I'm at work so I can't just look at my GPSR. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the microSD card still have to be inserted into the regular-size SD card "adapter" before it can be inserted into the 60Cx and 60CSx? Thus, the reasoning behind my question – Why not just use the regular-size SD card to start with? It still takes up the same amount of space inside the unit.

Nope. The microSD fits into the 60cx without the adapter.

I just now took the little MicroSD out of my 60Cx for the 1st time. Oh yeah! Now I see... Man - that is a tiny little memory card isn't it?

What I realize now is that I'll need the micro/SD adapter to fit into my SD/Compact Flash adapter to fit into my Compact Flash/PC adapter. :ph34r:

You realize it's ineveitable that one day soon we'll be able to change out a little memory chip in the back of our own head. Now that I think about it, maybe I need that.

I just now took the little MicroSD out of my 60Cx for the 1st time. Oh yeah! Now I see... Man - that is a tiny little memory card isn't it?

What I realize now is that I'll need the micro/SD adapter to fit into my SD/Compact Flash adapter to fit into my Compact Flash/PC adapter. :ph34r:

You realize it's ineveitable that one day soon we'll be able to change out a little memory chip in the back of our own head. Now that I think about it, maybe I need that.

yah, it's a tiny little thing. Usually it takes two or three tries to get it seated properly.