Cache Owner Deleted My Find

Group D

I had a list of coordinates a week ago for several caches in my area. Didn't make it to all that weekend. After making one find a few days later I was surprised to find that the cache owner had archived it in the meantime. Didn't remove the cache, just archived it. I found it, so I logged it anyway. The website accepted my log on the archived cache and incremented my find count. Turns out today that the cache owner deleted my log and my find count was decremented. O.K., no big deal really, but I found it, I signed the log book --What gives?

That doesn't sound fair at all... there should be a bit of a buffer, especially since you did find the cache and sign the book before it was picked up.

I have recently started deleting logs ever since I added the following to my cache pages

Any logs that contain SPOILERS will be deleted without exception, and will have to be re-entered by the seeker to be accepted.

This also applies to logs that contain content suggesting inappropriate activity or do not conform to the guidelines as listed on the Cache Page or no longer relevant.

Any needed assistance was included in the HINTS section, and was provided by the Cache Owner

But what you are saying... that's not right in my opinion...

Maybe the owner is saying "Once it is Archived, that is the end of logging"... but that is excessive if you ask me.

But it is up the Cache Owner what is allowed and not allowed... I fear you are at their mercy.

:unsure: The Blue Quasar

While I don't know the situation for you cache, I can give you some information on a problem we had in Arizona a few years ago.

An area was closed due to an extreme fire danger. A cache that was located in the closed area was logged and in the log it was mentioned that they broke the rules to find it. Shortly after, local cachers were in discussions about letting caches be placed in a local preserve park. The main opponent to the request brought up this particular log to point to that are local cachers that don't follow rules.

A deleted log may have saved alot of headache, but I doubt it would have let caching be allowed in the preserve. In that particular meeting, the subject was closed before any comments could be made by cachers or the rest of the public.

You might try emailing the owner and very POLITELY ask what happened. The owner may have thought you were someone trying falsely log some finds by choosing an archived cache.

You could explain that you were just delayed in logging your find and verify that you were at the cache and signed the logbook.

Now, if the owner still insists that your log should be deleted...well, c'est la vie. And as always, we might not know both sides of this story.

You might try emailing the owner and very POLITELY ask what happened. The owner may have thought you were someone trying falsely log some finds by choosing an archived cache.

You could explain that you were just delayed in logging your find and verify that you were at the cache and signed the logbook.

Now, if the owner still insists that your log should be deleted...well, c'est la vie. And as always, we might not know both sides of this story.

Agreed:

That doesn't sound fair at all... there should be a bit of a buffer, especially since you did find the cache and sign the book before it was picked up.

I have recently started deleting logs ever since I added the following to my cache pages

Any logs that contain SPOILERS will be deleted without exception, and will have to be re-entered by the seeker to be accepted.

This also applies to logs that contain content suggesting inappropriate activity or do not conform to the guidelines as listed on the Cache Page or no longer relevant.

Any needed assistance was included in the HINTS section, and was provided by the Cache Owner

But what you are saying... that's not right in my opinion...

Maybe the owner is saying "Once it is Archived, that is the end of logging"... but that is excessive if you ask me.

But it is up the Cache Owner what is allowed and not allowed... I fear you are at their mercy.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

As a finder i really appriciate a warning like this. owners seem to have very different opinion on what is appriopriate in a post. some allow photos of the finders with the cache. while others dont allow any descriptive comment about the cache at all.

There are very few good reasons for deleting a legit find. I would hope that the owner would outline them on the cache page, or at least let you know why it was deleted.

Outside some very specific circumstances (like finds that deliberately violate rules put forth on the cache page), deleting legit founds it logs is not acceptable.

...After making one find a few days later I was surprised to find that the cache owner had archived it in the meantime. Didn't remove the cache, just archived it...

Awesome :laughing: Yet another geocacher leaving geolitter in the woods.

I suspect that he deleted the log to cover up his irresponsibility. I hope we don't lose any park access over this.

It would be very nice if logs deleted by a cache owner would remain available to the poster of the log. Currently all my log entries are at the whim of the cache owners. If a log gets deleted there is no record of the log that I have access to. As much as the cache owner should have the ability to control what is logged about his cache, the log is also a record that belongs to the finder. Right now the only way to "preserve" my logs is to keep my own records of my finds and logs.

Log it again.

If they delete it, log it again.

If they delete it again, log it again. Make a game of it. Make it part of your daily routine.

That’s what I’d do.

Things slow for you lately? :D

Nah, he just buys his popcorn at Costco. :D

Back OT-a polite query to the cache owner would be the appropriate next step IMO.

There was a multi virtual in the area that I had the printout for several weeks and finally did it on a Sunday. I think it was at a milestone (maybe my 1500th). That evening, I went to log it and found out he had archived it Saturday night! Someone had reported to him that one of the waypoints was inaccesible, but it was open when I found it. He graciously let me log it without deleting my log.

I hadn't updated the waypoints in my GPSr before going out on a caching day, and wondered why one particular one wasn't in my PDA. It was a micro (pill bottle) in a small park. The log was very wet, so I took it back to the car, turned on the defroster, dried it out, and signed it. When I got home that night and started logging my finds, I discovered that it was archived 7 days before! I just noted in the log that I didn't realize it was archived, and since it was still out I was logging it as a find. I didn't hear anything back, but my find log is still there.

I hadn't updated the waypoints in my GPSr before going out on a caching day, and wondered why one particular one wasn't in my PDA. It was a micro (pill bottle) in a small park. The log was very wet, so I took it back to the car, turned on the defroster, dried it out, and signed it. When I got home that night and started logging my finds, I discovered that it was archived 7 days before! I just noted in the log that I didn't realize it was archived, and since it was still out I was logging it as a find. I didn't hear anything back, but my find log is still there.

A few months ago I found a cache that had been archived due to a lot of DNFs. When I went to log it, I found it had been archived. I added my log to it and noted that it was still there and in good condition and that it should be restored. The cache owner hadn't checked it, just assumed it was gone. (It is in a "high muggle" area). Happy to find it's still there, it was restored and the difficulty was raised.

I had a list of coordinates a week ago for several caches in my area. Didn't make it to all that weekend. After making one find a few days later I was surprised to find that the cache owner had archived it in the meantime. Didn't remove the cache, just archived it. I found it, so I logged it anyway. The website accepted my log on the archived cache and incremented my find count. Turns out today that the cache owner deleted my log and my find count was decremented. O.K., no big deal really, but I found it, I signed the log book --What gives?

Why aren't you asking the owner this question?

Why aren't you asking the owner this question?

Perfect. Thank you. ;)

It would be very nice if logs deleted by a cache owner would remain available to the poster of the log. Currently all my log entries are at the whim of the cache owners. If a log gets deleted there is no record of the log that I have access to. As much as the cache owner should have the ability to control what is logged about his cache, the log is also a record that belongs to the finder. Right now the only way to "preserve" my logs is to keep my own records of my finds and logs.

Not true. When your log is deleted, you receive an e-mail with a link to your deleted log. All you need do is click on the link to view or copy your deleted log. Since I've had quite a few logs deleted, I usually just copy the log and try again (assuming the deletion to be errroneus, unless otherwise informed). Proper etiquette requires the owner to provide cause for deletion, just or unjust. No cause, no cache.

Edited by salmoned

Actually, I checked the OP's profile, and a couple of days after the OP, the cache was re-logged, and it hasn't been deleted.

I guess this particular issue is not an issue anymore.

However, if you read the cache owners reasons for archiving the cache, he seems very bitter, so that is probably the reason for the original deletion.