What's In A Name?

There are several reasons people change their caching names. Adding 'Team' before your title can hint at an expanding family. Or you can go wild, like Dan, who became Rocky Balboa for reasons I've never even tried to guess at. Whatever your reason, from May the 15th you'll be stuck with whatever handle you have.

Read Jeremy's announcement here.

So, if you're thinking of a change of caching label, don't hang about!

I have already posted my feelings on this here.

I cannot see why anyone would want to change their username.

Loads of reasons...

Group acting as a team and team splits up...

Couple using both names split up...

People using Dog or Cat's name and pet dies...

People using an indication of profession and profession changes ...

etc... etc...

Sorry, but I think that this latest 'lock-down' (horrible expression) has a certain smell to it and not a very pleasant one :unsure::huh::) I suspect it's an easy option to escape a short-sighted data base design.

Martin

As I understand it there will still be a way for legitimate changes to cover the sceanarios above

Hmmm...

we'll do our best to come up with some tools to move your information over to a new username. You can already do adoptions to your new account but there is no current way to move other information like bookmark lists, premium memberships, or log entries.

No promises there me thinks...

Martin

I didn't like Jeremy's line....

If you're planning a break up do it by 15th may...

As someone who has HAD to change team names due to EXACTLY this reason, I find that offensive.

I don't think I'd have carried on caching if I'd been stuck being Hazel and Phill... as I'm not hazel and Phill, I'm HazelS - and dadgum proud of it too!!!

Have a heart Jeremy.

Rant over

we'll do our best to come up with some tools to move your information over to a new username. You can already do adoptions to your new account but there is no current way to move other information like bookmark lists, premium memberships, or log entries.

It's seems to me if you will be able to transfer over things like that its irrelevant if you change your name, or just create a new one, move everything over and let the old one die or even remove the old one.

Yes it will mean you will also get a new internal id also (and profile link) but you don't really need to to be permanent.

Its just the technicality of how the rename it performed not the eventual outcome. If you think about it its not often that you can change your email address with an ISP, once you signed up your stuck, but you can just sign up again. (yes Geocaching is different as there's stats to consider, but if they can be transferred then all well and good)

Edited for spealing

Edited by barryhunter

I suspect other people would hate to be separated from their logs -I know I would- if they had to change names. Jeremy says some features may be available via 'workarounds' (such as adopting all your own caches from your old name to your new name) but this doesn't appear to go far enough. Premium membership will be locked to an uneditable name, for example.

I cannot see why anyone would want to change their username.

There are people like me who just registered with their last name and always meant to come up with something original. My English friend put me onto this topic...so now I have about 3+ weeks to come up with a name which will be one that we like and also descriptive.

I still read Jeremy's post as saying they will provide tools to move everything (including logs) over to a new name if required (just that there isn't currently). Judging by the reaction they will have to even if they don't plan to. As I said before it will just be a technical change on how its performed, not that it won't be possible. (like moveing house by moving the contents to a new house (which happens to be identical other than the address) rather than moving *the* house)

At the moment you can change your user name to anything that hasn't already been registered on gc.com. Your user name is tied to your user ID 'number' - (mouse over a posting - lh side of screen to see it for those who aren't aware).

In the last couple of days I tried to revert to my former Caching name but was unable to because it was 'already registered'. Huh!?1? Searching for any cache 'finds' or 'hidden' by that name shows "Sorry, no results were found for this search." I suspect the database just has my former name recorded as being 'in use' and not recorded against my user ID number.

OK, I guess it's time for us to move over now then......

I know we're SSC&B and have been (so far) for 37 caches, but you'll notice that we also rarely cache together, the single one thing that seems to be constant when caching is Phoebe the mad dalmatian.

We are now officially known as "Team Phoebe"

Stu :rolleyes:

Well I'll put my hand up and admit that I changed my name :) . I started off as just Mancunian, then I got back into pyrography so added Pyrocacher. If the no name change had been active from the start I'd have been stuck with Mancunian and explaining what some one living in Wales uses a description of some one from Manchester, and not as it is now giving them double confusion :) Jeremy should put a Name is Locked warning on the registration page :unsure:

Dave :rolleyes:

I like my username. It's my whole Internet identity - I use it for everything. :(:(:( Now my sister's gone and nicked it off me, and named her baby 'Trinseca' so I guess in a few years time we'll be fighting over email addresses, ebay id. etc <_<

When I showed my mum my lovely new Geocoin, inscribed with ryme-intrinseca, she said 'ooh, that's nice, can I have it for Trinseca?' :huh::(:(

Edited by ryme-intrinseca

I still read Jeremy's post as saying they will provide tools to move everything (including logs) over to a new name if required (just that there isn't currently). Judging by the reaction they will have to even if they don't plan to.

And even if Groundspeak never get around to it, how difficult would it be for one of us to write a little script which went through all someone's logs, deleted them all, and re-logged them under the new username? Of course, Jeremy would still have to be petitioned to either formally allow, or turn a blind eye to, the breaking of the TOUs in this way.

We started off with the name Ivoryboots because it was just something we came up with quickly to start Geocaching straight away. Luckily we changed it when we realised how involved we were becoming to something more apropriate to ouselves.

If we'd known from the start that we couldn't change it once it was set we'd have given it much more though initially. So as long as it is known during sign up that things can't be changed that would be alright.